• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Scared of getting old!

What age do we start to lose distance?

• 30-35

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 36-40

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • 40-45

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • over 46

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
I'm 32 and still gaining distance as I develop my form. The problem for me is it's easier to get sore joints in your 30's.

In most sports, the prime decades are 20's and 30's. A notable exception is tennis, where 30 is often over the hill. Rafa Nadal may never win another Wimbledon if his knees continue to give him problems.

Interesting parallel for me here. Tennis was my primary sport until my early 30s. It got too rough on my knees as I got heavier.

Now I'm in better shape than I've been in in ten years (at 41 now) and my distance is improving due to better technique. So I feel that as long as my form keeps getting better, I still have a couple years of increasing my distance before I start to lose some. That's what I pray for anyway. :) Thus my vote for the "old guy age category."

only thing keeping me going, is the increasing quality of the plastic coming out...my average distance went up 50' in a year(08)...peaked now..i definately play masters if need be..those guys are more laid back when playing for cash than the open guys anyway

25 was the best year of your life. It's all downhill from here.

come to think of it...... 90% of the older guys I've played are MUCH better than me.

Yeah, when you play with an old dude, you know a couple of generalizations are likely. One, he's going to beat you and two, he's going to be super laid back about it.

At age 62 I'll chime in. The ravages of time are for real, but the secret is to never give in. Keep doing what you're doing and don't compromise. Yes, you have to play smarter, but you can still go for it. I shoot better scores now than ever. Work on the second shot and/or approaches more than the drives. The putting is the same young or old. If you practice putting you score, if you don't, well good luck.
When the Grim Reaper starts your way, just put an ass-whuppin on him, shut up and throw.

I hope Woodpecker feels better now that he knows he isn't the oldest to post so far.

I don't know when I will lose distance. I use a lot of technique amd hardly any large muscles. I am 37 yrs old and my drives are getting longer (Max distance right now with accuracy: 366'). I can play 54 hole a day and not get sore. So, I don't know when my ceiling is supposed to hit, but I don't wanna think about that.

I'm 55 and playing the best disc golf I've ever played (since the mid 80's). Disc technology has helped, but improvements to my technique have helped the most. Playing smart is important.

IMO, distance is over-rated. Unless the courses you play are wide open, raw distance doesn't really help that much. A player who throws an accurate 270' will generally beat a player who throws an inconsistent 400'. So don't worry about distance. Worry about form and control. Good distance will come from good form. And if you want to win - work on your putting.

Yeah, don't sweat it. The object of the game is to have fun and there's no age limit at all on that.

If you're wondering when you should start working on your accuracy, though, I'd say "yesterday" ;)

I could not have said it better myself.

If you want to compete I know of a lot guys in there 40's who are still hammering 400' throws. But they all started young. Each one will tell you that accuracy is more important.

Latest posts