• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Schaumburg, Illinois

thisdoesfine

I'm travelling to Schaumburg Illinois this weekend (6.22.13 is the play date) and want to play a round of disc golf. The furthest we'd be willing to travel would be 20 miles, if it was mostly highways. I'm used to a city with only 2 courses (Ocala, FL) and am a bit overwhelmed by so many choices. Can anyone suggest a course? 18 holes preferred. Katherine Legge is rated the highest but the holes look short overall. My favorite local course is: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1635 so something comparable would be awesome! Thanks if anyone is able to help in such a quick timeframe.

Not from there but Lippold park in Crystal Lake is a fun course. The gas station near the course has a great selection of discs too!

If it were me I would go with Shady Oaks because it is the closest. Its not anywhere near what you normally play but it is the best course near Schaumburg. If you are willing to travel then go to Oswego. Katherine Legge is ok but not as good as the other two.

Yeah, you'll either need to expand your 20mi radius or just stick with Shady Oaks and enjoy what's there. Nothing else really worth the drive. If you like short technical courses you can also check out Black Bear in Hoffman Estates.

Everything within 30 minutes of there pretty much sucks. Nothing close to Ocala Greenway...... Which is good but not great in my estimation.

I would go for unique rather than quality. In that case I would recommend Margreth Riemer Reservoir.

Margreth Riemer is definitely unique, but be sure to watch your discs finish and find a landmark in the distance that is on the line your disc finished at, the prairie grass is no joke this time of year.

I am going to agree with notroman and Dave, that despite the options, you are looking at numerous bad options. If you have the time to go more than 20 miles, as others have mentioned Oswego is good, and so are Highland, Channahon, and West Park in Joliet. If you want to go north, Grey Fox in Silver Lake is worth the trip.

If you do not plan to expand your radius much I agree that Shady Oaks is probably your best bet.

Wish I was in town this weekend, I'd be willing to play a round.

I played The Links at Wheeler Park in Geneva for the first time a few days ago and found it to be very enjoyable. The designers made the most of the few trees, woods and elevation available to them. Much better than average hole quality than the vast majority of the courses inside that radius from the city.

Katherine Legge is nice. Clean and fun, just lots of people that get in the way.

Summit/Argo is 18 in the middle of super dense woods. You'll come out covered in mud more than likely.

Geneva courses should be close enough for you to play. They're worth it.

We ended up going to the Links in Geneva then later playing Adler park in Libertyville. Neither park was great but both fun in their own way. Unfortunately, I lost a disc @ Adler park on the hole that goes down hill then ends up in the clump of trees, 6 7 or 8, I forget. My disc, intending in a slow RHBH S curve ended up in a long anyhyzer and flew straight into the thick woods where all the weeds / grass inside were about 2.5' tall. We looked for a while but it was near dusk, sad day. If any locals find it, it's a pinkish Tim Selinkski 2011 I believe Katana.... very fond of the disc, I'd pay for shipping and a reward if you find it, my # should be on the inner rim.

Thanks for the advice on courses ya'll!