• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Scoring impact of natural tees?

It would be really cool to see a scientific study with maybe 100 different players each throwing 10 drives off each surface to determine the distance and accuracy differences.

Honestly there should be zero difference IMO. What about all of the other shots on the course where terrain is tricky to get good footing even in the fairway? To me its just a mind game tho, I learned to play on natural teepads. Actually, depending on where you play concrete tees can be dangerous or way too short...but depends on the course

I have certain shoes that are great to play in, except if it's even remotely wet the cement pads are slippery. Takes fifty feet off my drives. If possible I tee off behind the tee pad.

I don't know if you can make a determination because often around here, if a course has natural tees, and they've become rutted and uneven from everyday play or weather, its not uncommon for the TD to make a new temporary tee for the tournament alongside of it.

Ok, I'm really, really hoping that someone will be able to answer this one.. but can anyone take an educated guess as to, on average, the impact on average score of natural (close-cut grass) vs cement tee pads? i.e. with the better footing of a real (leveled) tee pad, about how much better can I generally expect players to perform? If it helps, my target group is blue-level players. Thanks!

What situation do you have where it would matter?

Latest posts