• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

I played Selah Ranch on Friday, Feb 5, 2016

Selah has been on my wish list for a while now. I went 400 miles out of the way to play it. It was well worth the drive, the dollars, and it met and maybe even exceeded my high expectations. The course was in great shape, but was pretty much deserted, we had the place to ourselves. For this trip we only had an afternoon, but even with the low February sun we were still easily able to play both courses. The carts are well worth the money. As other have suggested, it's worth it to pay for enough carts so no one is walking. It's a long way from the clubhouse to tee #1 Lakeside. Both my son and I are "average" rec players, these courses were a blast from the Red Tees (full reviews to come) and was still plenty challenging. I'm sure you big arms will appreciate the back tees.

Just some logistics: this course is in a very rural area, plan gasoline and food carefully. While my son and I played my wife went "into town" in Talco to grab some sandwiches. The gas station was the only option. While not horrible, it was still gas station food.

I've played some wonderful courses in the past two years (Nantucket, Frost Valley, Maple Hill, Black Falls) and I can't say which is the "best" course, but I will say that Selah Ranch is the most unique experience.

I hope to return soon when I have more time to soak in the full Selah Ranch experience and also head down the road to Trey Texas Ranch.

Two things that reminded me of.....if you have people that are walking, we have driven to the Lakeside #1 tee and parked there (in the grass). Asking permission from the pro-shop guy is probably a good idea.

Going south to Mt Vernon gives you many more food options than Talco. There's a grocery right on the highway at the north-ish side of town, complete with deli food and whatnot....it's less than 15 minutes from the ranch. Obviously not "on your way" from the north, but it's there if you need it.

I hope to return soon when I have more time to soak in the full Selah Ranch experience and also head down the road to Trey Texas Ranch.
I wonder what % of folks playing Selah also hit Trey ?

Thanks for all the great tips. I really appreciate you guys taking time to help me out. Four of us are staying in the Corral House at the end of April. We are planning on getting another cart for sure. We're also planning on making all our own meals. It seems that we should have everything we need in the kitchen and outside grilling area.

I wonder what % of folks playing Selah also hit Trey ?

I was thinking of doing this. Would it be worth taking one day of the three we have to go play Trey?

Also, for some great barbecue, go south to Mt. Vernon, cross under the interstate and take left on the service road. There will be a little barbecue place on the right called Texas Barbecue Corral. The barbecue there is excellent.

Thanks for all the great tips. I really appreciate you guys taking time to help me out. Four of us are staying in the Corral House at the end of April. We are planning on getting another cart for sure. We're also planning on making all our own meals. It seems that we should have everything we need in the kitchen and outside grilling area.

I was thinking of doing this. Would it be worth taking one day of the three we have to go play Trey?

It's definitely worth taking a day to stop at Trey Ranch. I'd call Trey ahead of time and check on the conditions of the courses. I don't think that they are regularly groomed as much as the Selah Ranch courses are. His number is on the course page. Both courses are very well designed and are pretty different from one another. We especially liked Texas Twist.

We played Trey the day after Selah in the Summer. By the end of the second round, I think I was fairly close to passing out.

If you need to go for food, the supermarket in Mt. Vernon is a Brookshires. As you go into town, it will be on the right side of the road.

We went there a few years ago and at that time they didn't sell beer, wine or liquor in Mt. Vernon. Texas has pretty restrictive rules on where and when alcohol is sold, so check and plan accordingly if you wish to indulge.

We went there a few years ago and at that time they didn't sell beer, wine or liquor in Mt. Vernon. Texas has pretty restrictive rules on where and when alcohol is sold, so check and plan accordingly if you wish to indulge.

I checked and found that they approved beer and wine sales (barely) in 2013. Good to know.

Was there in mid January. Courses were healing from what looked like a substantial flood. Some bridges washed out but still able to cross. Debris hanging in trees as high as 10 feet in some areas. Creekside and both Trey Ranch courses seemed to be most effected. But not to worry all 4 courses were very playable. However don't get your hopes up for a golf cart. Dave the proprietor at Selah informed us that the carts were malfunctioning because debris was making its way into the intake and he was trying to remedy the situation by having new motors installed. Anyway we played without the carts and had a great time. Moreover, if I was to return I probably would not use a cart. I didn't find the courses any more stringent than any other 9000 ft. course I have played.

Hope you have nice weather we did. Take it slow.

Two more things come to mind based on the last few comments.

Doof's suggestion for BBQ is a good one....especially if you've never had real Texas BBQ. I haven't been to the Mt Vernon place, but I'm assuming they do brisket and ribs at an acceptable level. However, make note of their hours....facebook page says they're only open until 7pm.....hard to pull yourself off the course early enough at Selah to make that.

My group has thus far avoided going to Trey....just too risky for us on the conditions/grooming....long courses, no carts....pretty spoiled by Selah. Maybe this year.

In fact, the answer might be depart Selah early morning, get two rounds in at Trey, and hit the BBQ place on the way back through town before finishing with 18-27 holes at Selah. That might be a good day.

For easterners making the long drive to Texas for the first time, would Selah/Trey be a good sampling of Texas dg; without adding more drive time to different areas of the state ?

I wouldn't say it'd be the norm, but it's very close to the best the state has to offer at this point. There are some really good courses in Texas, but as the rankings say, it's been #1 for a while.

For easterners making the long drive to Texas for the first time, would Selah/Trey be a good sampling of Texas dg; without adding more drive time to different areas of the state ?

Hey Mando, I'm not an expert on Texas as I've only played 25ish courses there and most of those were 10-15 years ago.

Having said that, I think Selah (and Trey by the pictures) are reasonable representations of Texas plains golf. That is, fairly open (especially by east coast standards), several options for different throws off the tee, not a ton of elevation, mature trees but not towering. They probably tend to use water a little bit more than your standard Texas course, though it seems Texas is always throwing in a creek or something whenever possible.

They don't quite represent Texas hill country golf, which is much rockier ground, scrubbier trees, more elevation. Here I'm thinking Circle C and Bible Ridge in Austin, as well as the 5 defunct Houck courses at San Saba and Wimberley.

I haven't played Houston area or anything west of Waco/Austin/SanAntonio (other than the aforementioned hill country courses near Austin and San Saba).

that sounds about right. Selah and Trey are definitely representative of North Texas disc golf, at least in style but not in quality. Hill country golf is different and Grodney nailed it.

but i think the one thing that is consistent all around Texas is that we have great designs that use the land pretty well. obviously not all courses but most areas that have disc golf have at least one very good course.

Hey Mando, I'm not an expert on Texas as I've only played 25ish courses there and most of those were 10-15 years ago.

Having said that, I think Selah (and Trey by the pictures) are reasonable representations of Texas plains golf. That is, fairly open (especially by east coast standards), several options for different throws off the tee, not a ton of elevation, mature trees but not towering. They probably tend to use water a little bit more than your standard Texas course, though it seems Texas is always throwing in a creek or something whenever possible.

They don't quite represent Texas hill country golf, which is much rockier ground, scrubbier trees, more elevation. Here I'm thinking Circle C and Bible Ridge in Austin, as well as the 5 defunct Houck courses at San Saba and Wimberley.

I haven't played Houston area or anything west of Waco/Austin/SanAntonio (other than the aforementioned hill country courses near Austin and San Saba).

Texas has so many different regions. Houston disc golf is definitely different than most DFW disc golf, both in the taller trees, and the mosquitoes that will carry off your bags when you aren't watching. Hill country is also its own thing. I haven't played Selah yet, planning a trip in a couple months, but from how big this state is, I just can't say any one course can represent all of the state.

Yeah, you won't see anything like this at Selah. Texas has all kinds of land types. Enjoy "resort style" play at Selah.

This is an example of panhandle disc golf. From Johnson Park in Borger.

7d90d5e6.jpg

Rich!

For what it's worth, I just wanted to add that those four courses are themselves pretty diverse. Trey Deuce has a few instances of elevation, Texas Twist plays through thick woods, Selah has lots of water in play and covers a large gamut of terrain, etc. It's one of the strengths of quartet. So I think you would indeed see a broad representation of what's possible in the area, even if there are variations on the theme elsewhere in Texas. In any event it's one hell of an outing.

Also, let me know if you're passing by New Orleans en route! I will tempt you with seafood...

Latest posts