• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sensitivity

Bleeder973

So my time on this forum has been short. I just found this site this past weekend. I'm excited to learn more about Disc Golf. I enjoy playing, even if I'm not as active a player as many I've seen on here.
With that said, I've reviewed a couple of courses I've played recently. My reviews have been met with less than welcoming objectivism.

So, I ask this...am I to review courses as a means of caressing someone's delicate ego or give my honest opinion of how I felt?

I'm half being sarcastic. But I am curious to know how others feel, because I'm positive that I'm not the first newbie to be greeted so gracefully.

PS. I totally suck at disc golf but I love the ever-loving friggin heck out of it.

Tell it like it is in your reviews, or at least how you see it. You owe nobody anything except your honest opinion. After all, it's your review, not someone else's. If they disagree with your assessment, they can write their own review. That said, it's possible to acknowledge other people's efforts and feelings whole rating a course lower than the others have. Being honest doesn't necessarily mean being harsh or nasty.

FWIW - be descriptive and support the rating you gave it. Also note the word descriptor for each rating: if you feel a course is average or typical, that'd be 2.5, not 3.0. The descriptors really do help in rating courses if they're used properly.

I'd also recommend playing several courses before determining a rating, so you have a broader basis for comparison.

Last edited:
* correction: That said, it's possible to acknowledge other people's efforts and feelings while rating a course lower than others have.

I also like to give just a hint of my level of play so that my perspective on a course is understood. For example, for me... I get to "bomb" on 400' holes. Actually, I can't throw that far at all. So what I call bombing a driver, is just a Roc or Buzz, or a putter, for someone else. Hopefully this makes sense.

edit: I didn't look at your reviews yet but will.

Fair enough! I feel like the review given wasn't exactly harsh or mean. Fact based, primarily.

Related: I extended an offer to assist in making repairs and improvements. I don't think anyone should have to wander aimlessly through a course trying to figure out where the next tee is, or the basket for the hole currently being played.

Am I wrong in the assumption that significantly reduces a courses rating?

I'm posting this due to the fact that I'd rather know when I spend the time and resources traveling distances to play that I'm not going to spend the time playing Where's Waldo and not throwing discs.

If that makes any sense.

A lot of :thmbdown:'s are simply from bad writing:
pros: Course rocks! Cant wait to play hear again!
cons: None!
Other thoughts: When is the mcrib going to be back?

This tells nobody anything. Other reviews get dinged for being factually wrong like "no trashcans" or "only one set of tees." Super giant, hole by hole reviews that don't say anything different from the last super giant, hole by hole reviews don't usually fare well either.

Try and be descriptive. Instead of saying: Really wooded course with water, say Course plays through pine forest with a winding creek.

One tip for being tough but fair on a course: Be humorous. You can avoid a waterfall of :thmbdown:'s if you can make people laugh/entertain them. As long as you're accurate, you can bring the hammer if you do it without coming off as a dick.

Fair enough! I feel like the review given wasn't exactly harsh or mean. Fact based, primarily.

Related: I extended an offer to assist in making repairs and improvements. I don't think anyone should have to wander aimlessly through a course trying to figure out where the next tee is, or the basket for the hole currently being played.

Am I wrong in the assumption that significantly reduces a courses rating?

I'm posting this due to the fact that I'd rather know when I spend the time and resources traveling distances to play that I'm not going to spend the time playing Where's Waldo and not throwing discs.

If that makes any sense.
Ah, you sound like you're encountering the phenomenon known as homeboy bias, or HBB for short. I review with the traveling disc golfer in mind, mostly recreational in perspective (because this site is about finding courses to play, duh) but occasionally you'll review a course that is beloved by it's designers/locals and will slam you for anything negative.

Stuff like navigation and course flow are important to us b/c we're travelling through but for locals who already know where every tee and basket is from playing all the time, they think stuff like that is petty and hateful. Just ignore them and keep writing, it all averages out in the end.

It sounds like you want some honest feedback. I went and read your reviews and they fall into a category that tends to get a lot of thumbs down. You don't give a whole lot of specifics, your reviews are fairly short and to the point but that leaves them reading like a generic review that could apply to a lot of courses. I find that you will get thumbs down when you give a lower rating than the locals, but that's mitigated quite a bit if you really flesh out your ideas and explain why you gave it that rating. Dig into specific things you liked about the course and make it so your review really gives someone who's never played the course an idea of whether they want to make the trip. Same thing on the cons, get specific (without necessarily getting mean) and you'll likely find that your feedback improves regardless of the rating you give.

FWIW, you can edit reviews and after you do so anyone who has already voted has the opportunity to re-vote.

It sounds like you want some honest feedback. I went and read your reviews and they fall into a category that tends to get a lot of thumbs down. You don't give a whole lot of specifics, your reviews are fairly short and to the point but that leaves them reading like a generic review that could apply to a lot of courses. I find that you will get thumbs down when you give a lower rating than the locals, but that's mitigated quite a bit if you really flesh out your ideas and explain why you gave it that rating. Dig into specific things you liked about the course and make it so your review really gives someone who's never played the course an idea of whether they want to make the trip. Same thing on the cons, get specific (without necessarily getting mean) and you'll likely find that your feedback improves regardless of the rating you give.

FWIW, you can edit reviews and after you do so anyone who has already voted has the opportunity to re-vote.

THIS, THIS, THIS.

Definitely appreciate everyone's perspectives and suggestions.

And the honest feedback is surely appreciated.

I just chalked it up to my virgin experience on the site AND courses. I'll admit I got a bit feverish after playing and finding the site to express my excitement.

I still stand behind my review regardless though. ****ty tee boxes and not knowing where to throw a disc are going to get that review from me now and 75 courses from now. If there isn't a group that will maintain it, I suggest the person who didn't care for my review contact me to organize a time when we can go get it up to par! BOOM!

Thanks again, everyone!

Don't let the promise of thumbs up or the dread of thumbs down influence your review. I've seen really short (and unhelpful) reviews acquire a "15 out of 15 people found this review helpful" and really detailed, helpful reviews get a "3 of 12 people found this review helpful."

Be you, brother, and call 'em like you see 'em. If people don't like it....well, like the kitty once said, "Tough titty."

Be more detailed. Don't just put that it was good or bad. Well written will get more positive responses

Latest posts