• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe recommendations for wide feet

I have very wide feet. My in-laws gave me these for Annual Gift Giving Day. I thought I would not be a fan but I've never felt more stable walking down the hills at my course. Super big toe box.

They're very light so I wonder how long they will last.

Altra Men's Superior 3.0

AFM1753F_NavyBlack_btn4_xl.jpg

AFM1753F_NavyBlack_btn2_xl.jpg

My problem with Altras, and I love the idea of them and how they fit, is that I have never seen one with soles I thought would hold up for very long. Too much foam, not enough rubber.

edit: although I see they have one with a Vibram sole

Last edited:
+1 on the Merrell Moab wides. They lasted longer than any other dog shoe I tried while being cool and comfortable.

I tried waterproof Salomons but shoes that don't breathe are really hot and they lose their waterproofing very quickly. I prefer the ventilated shoes because they aren't hot and they drain easily and dry off quickly.

My problem with Altras, and I love the idea of them and how they fit, is that I have never seen one with soles I thought would hold up for very long. Too much foam, not enough rubber.

edit: although I see they have one with a Vibram sole

Yea, of the two they have with Vibram soles.. I'd be more tempted by the King than the Olympus.. I'm not a huge fan of max cushion shoes.

+1 on the Merrell Moab wides. They lasted longer than any other dog shoe I tried while being cool and comfortable.

I tried waterproof Salomons but shoes that don't breathe are really hot and they lose their waterproofing very quickly. I prefer the ventilated shoes because they aren't hot and they drain easily and dry off quickly.

This is why I HATE waterproof shoes. I'd rather just wear wool socks.

They're not super wide, but they're comfortable for me. As far as I know they are not being produced any longer, and they're getting hard to find.

Merrell Moabs are some of the most popular shoes I've seen on the dg course. They come in wide sizes, as well as at least two kinds of waterproof in addition to the "ventilator" version which breathes extremely well. Merrell Moab Ventilators have been my everyday shoes for more years than I can remember. When I wear out one pair, I go to REI and get another. The only thing I don't like is the round laces, which tend to come untied even when I double knot them. Otherwise the comfort is about as good as I've found for my "duck feet," which are wide in the toes but narrow in the heels. I've also discovered that Superfeet, my insole of choice, makes wide insoles as well, and my feet have never been happier.

I have very wide feet. My in-laws gave me these for Annual Gift Giving Day. I thought I would not be a fan but I've never felt more stable walking down the hills at my course. Super big toe box.

They're very light so I wonder how long they will last.

Looks like Altra has been sold to a larger shoe manufacturer...

Although I don't own a pair, I have been very close to pulling the trigger on some Altras. I certainly hope a brand that is marketing to a niche market, one that I very much fall into, will not be ruined by this purchase. I experienced the bad side of this when my favorite ball golf shoe company was taken over by new management that changed the zero drop wide toe box shoes into just another golf shoe. They basically alienated the customers that had so loyally and vocally supported the company. They went from a small manufacturer for a niche market to a small manufacturer trying to compete for the same customers as Footjoy, Adidas, and Nike. Nothing wrong with trying to expand and grow bigger, but it is usually not a sound business practice to abandon what made you unique to do so.

Hey guys, posted a few times on here as I've just started playing not to long ago. This is a bit of a different question, so a little background to give some idea as to where I'm coming from. I've just been wearing old tennis shoes and this weekend played my first tournament and had a great time but I rolled my ankle three times and my feet got soaking wet. Finding good shoes to fit me can be difficult at times because I wear a 4E wide shoe lol. Anyone have any suggestions on some good shoes or hiking hybrid types they use and would recommend? Thanks in advance for any help.

New Balance is what my brother had to wear and he is beween a 3E or 4E depending on the model and Manufacture. He normally if can't find the size he needs a 10 1/2 in his size he gets a whole size larger if the shoe is a regular fit.

Merrell Moabs are some of the most popular shoes I've seen on the dg course. They come in wide sizes, as well as at least two kinds of waterproof in addition to the "ventilator" version which breathes extremely well. Merrell Moab Ventilators have been my everyday shoes for more years than I can remember. When I wear out one pair, I go to REI and get another. The only thing I don't like is the round laces, which tend to come untied even when I double knot them. Otherwise the comfort is about as good as I've found for my "duck feet," which are wide in the toes but narrow in the heels. I've also discovered that Superfeet, my insole of choice, makes wide insoles as well, and my feet have never been happier.

Merrell Moabs were designed for the Moab 240 mile running race. That is why they last so long.

Latest posts