• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm Techniques?

willstradamus

Bogey Member
I have seen and read hundreds of backhand tutorials, but I haven't seen anything on throwing forehand. Is there any advice/techniques on how to improve a sidearm?

Practice, maybe develop your own style, find what works for you...and stop thinking Betty G Ross is in the same league with Davidson College. Betty G has 3 horrible holes(out of 9-then 6 boring ones), Davidson is a top notch beginner course that will teach you how to navigate tight holes without making you throw a bomb.

I developed mine naturally from a baseball sidearm pitch that feels similar to a fastball or curveball. The videos I've seen didn't really help. Field practice is the best thing and find out what works for you. Play with different grips, discs, angles.

The first couple of principals...get an overstable disc

Don't get an overstable disc to begin. It will be a crutch that you would need forever if you did so. Get something with a big rim, like a catch frisbee. It will teach you good form before you move on to throwing other discs. Go somewhere outside with a friend and practice throwing back and forth. This is the best way to learn quickly.

Over at https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums (though the forum seems to not be working at the moment) I began a thread on this topic, and everyone jumped in and contributed tips and advice...there is a long list of principles that we decided make for good forehand/sidearm fundamentals, which has been edited numerous times and is the first post in the thread.

Good luck!

Practice, maybe develop your own style, find what works for you...and stop thinking Betty G Ross is in the same league with Davidson College. Betty G has 3 horrible holes(out of 9-then 6 boring ones), Davidson is a top notch beginner course that will teach you how to navigate tight holes without making you throw a bomb.

Soooooo what should I do about people stalking me?

ps
Betty G has 18 holes (counting the long and short tees)

Don't get an overstable disc to begin. It will be a crutch that you would need forever if you did so. Get something with a big rim, like a catch frisbee. It will teach you good form before you move on to throwing other discs. Go somewhere outside with a friend and practice throwing back and forth. This is the best way to learn quickly.

Over at https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums (though the forum seems to not be working at the moment) I began a thread on this topic, and everyone jumped in and contributed tips and advice...there is a long list of principles that we decided make for good forehand/sidearm fundamentals, which has been edited numerous times and is the first post in the thread.

Good luck!

thanx for the link

I have seen and read hundreds of backhand tutorials, but I haven't seen anything on throwing forehand. Is there any advice/techniques on how to improve a sidearm?

The secret is decades of masturbating.