• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Simple bag advantage

you trollin, we talkin bout Nate Doss here

I am, Doss is awesome and has super good control of his lines so it makes sense he has a minimal setup and throws pure/straight often. He just hasn't been playing as much lately.

Philo also is super smooth and it makes sense he manipulates his lines like crazy.

There is definitely advantages to having a lot of molds and keeping your swing the same. If that philosophy didn't work, then why do ball golfers try to keep the mechanics of each swing so consistent? Because a consistent reproducible swing can generate predictable results. And isn't that what we're all after anyway?

Some people prefer to not have to change their throw for the shot at hand and have more discs in order to use their natural attributes to shape the shot. Other people prefer to manipulate the angle of the throw with fewer discs to shape shots. Some people like to have a bunch of discs in their bag but can also manipulate angles... Just find out what works best for you.

This, and this. :thmbup:

And remember, the object is to have fun. I have more fun with more molds. If you have more fun with less molds, have at it. :popcorn:

Still trying to eliminate single taskers, but it's not easy for me.

Utility discs are ok.

I have a disc specifically for forehand approaches, and for backhand rollers. I probably only throw 5 different core molds on a consistent basis (hurricane, predator, undertaker, comet, challenger) Sometimes, for example, it's easier for me to throw a backhand roller in place of a forehand that's outside of my comfort zone, or where a turnover might not shape right. Not every time, but often enough where I want to carry a roller disc.

Mold minimalism is overrated (not bad or wrong or anything, just overrated), and disc minimalism is underrated. I bag three mids, one Warrant, one Truth, and one Verdict; I would argue that my mid setup is simpler (not necessarily better) than the setup of the guy who bags five Rocs. "Do I throw the Warrant or the Truth?" is an easier decision to make than "Do I throw the flippy Roc, the slightly US Roc, or the stable Roc?" True simplicity is found with a single Roc/Buzzz/Compass/whatever, and I can totally see the benefit of bagging only one disc like this and learning to throw it in a variety of ways.

"Do I throw the Warrant or the Truth?" is an easier decision to make than "Do I throw the flippy Roc, the slightly US Roc, or the stable Roc?" .

literally the exact same decision with a different set of tools

There is no easier/harder factor in that decision, you pick the disc you're most confident you can make the shot with. For some people, they have that confidence if all the discs are the same mold.

He's right, you know. Less is for things that you cannot count, like water. I'm usually pretty good with that one....my apologies.

Side question: which pro has the fewest discs in their bag? Do any carry less that 20? 15? Not molds, actual discs. Anyone know?

That's a good question.
MJ and Barsby both use the UPD Shift bags, which can't carry more than 18 or so. MJ's doesn't even look particularly full, I wouldn't be surprised if he's close to 15. I'm sure he's answered that before.

MJ posted what he was currently carrying not too long ago. Seems like it was only ~12 discs. Maybe 11. Kinda made me think...

I'm probably wrong, but I think it might have been:

3 putters
3 Comets
Undertaker
Machete
2 Cranks
Force

I find I have always thrown my best rounds when I only throw 7-9 molds.

Currently I carry 10 molds (20 discs). I really only throw 6 core molds. The other four molds are utility and heavy wind specific.

I also pull a cart that has had 30 discs in it and only 10 molds. I always tend to throw better when I limit the total number of discs, as I throw the same individual discs more often and get to know them better.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk