• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Site News / Announcement

The new forum software will be Xenforo. The developers of this vB 3.8 left many years ago and started Xenforo. So it's very similar to vB3 and we will stylize it so it feels familiar. However, because of the rest of the app and sites, it will be a process to update everything seamlessly. Also, when we do it, we want to add features that people want so need time to understand what people would like in the forum, review, course side of things as well as the apps.

Well, this sounds like a "What is in your DGCR Wishlist?" post, so let me be the first to make this suggestion...

Currently the course rating can be any whole or half value from 0.0 to 5.0, many have suggested adding .25 or .75 ratings under each whole number, or would it be easier to add .1 to .9 (under each whole number, EX: 3.7, 4.2 etc.) as rating options, that way you are still at one decimal point? :thmbup:
:popcorn:

If there was one thing that bugs me.. The display on my phone is smallish haha. When there is a thread started by someone with a long name.. ThisWonisloaded comes to mind haha I can't remember the thread they started but... Instead of clicking "last page" it visits the profile instead. Since they are right over top of each other.

So my Christmas DGCR wish would be a little better/ extra spacing for mobile clicking. Though I realize many of you do it from your work computer ;) :p

The "@" tagging wouldn't hurt either, its not like I have to use it, but I see some people trying..

Last edited:
Well, this sounds like a "What is in your DGCR Wishlist?" post, so let me be the first to make this suggestion...

Currently the course rating can be any whole or half value from 0.0 to 5.0, many have suggested adding .25 or .75 ratings under each whole number, or would it be easier to add .1 to .9 (under each whole number, EX: 3.7, 4.2 etc.) as rating options, that way you are still at one decimal point? :thmbup:
:popcorn:

Vote me in for a quarter point scale. I might be a new reviewer but I find the 3 - 4.5 range could use more granularity...

Last edited:
a word of advice (or my vote at least)

all manner of changes to the review mechanics have been proposed by various users since the beginning of this site. it has been argued, sometimes vehemently, ad nauseam in countless threads. i firmly believe that no convincing argument has been made and that it is for the best that Tim never made any changes.

given that DGCR serves a more niche group of users than the other app, it seems like it would be smarter to avoid these kinds of changes and the ensuing controversy that might alienate a large contingent of long time users who may rightly see it as a capricious move by new owners who don't yet understand the community they've just acquired.

this site is passionately regarded and defended by its regular users. let's not give them a reason to question that.

a word of advice (or my vote at least)

all manner of changes to the review mechanics have been proposed by various users since the beginning of this site. it has been argued, sometimes vehemently, ad nauseam in countless threads. i firmly believe that no convincing argument has been made and that it is for the best that Tim never made any changes.

given that DGCR serves a more niche group of users than the other app, it seems like it would be smarter to avoid these kinds of changes and the ensuing controversy that might alienate a large contingent of long time users who may rightly see it as a capricious move by new owners who don't yet understand the community they've just acquired.

this site is passionately regarded and defended by its regular users. let's not give them a reason to question that.

I like this right here. I've mentioned in many reviews that I'd *ideally rate* something as a 4.25 but I give it the benefit of the doubt. So, 4.5 it is. While not perfect, it's perfectly fine.

No offense to pmay or playrecords or whomever else. I'll speak for myself. I'm approaching 400 reviews. That is essentially asking me to look over and regrade each one of my reviews by .25 or .1. For 375ish reviews.

If it ain;t broke and all...:confused:

If there was 1/4 points added I don't see why anyone would have to go back and change it, nor conform to it. If you are more comfortable with half points then stick with it. It's just another option.

Would it really alienate anyone?

Granted we are all a little older and find a familiarity with vbulletin 2.0 kinda format, just proving that we are as outdated as the 90's. My wife saw a "vintage" 90's jacket and said "what how is that vintage?" And I said well 3 decades honey... :D

Obviously many of us are old enough to resist change for no other reason then it's "different" . If there is some tweaks with usability and content display that might welcome more "newer" users I think that's a goal, as long as it doesn't alienate the older core users.

Let me fire up ICQ and chat :D

Last edited:
I agree, no disrespect to anyone but adding 0.25 review increments is very low on my list of requested changes and updates. If it's on the list at all. I too have said that I would use those increments in many of my reviews, but I think that I will always be able to say I could get more granular. :) I think that review averages have a way of working themselves out over time. Just for one example, I recently gave Alpha DGC (review still on home page as of now) a 1.0 rating. If I could have, I would have given it a 1.25 rating. But after I posted my review I noticed that wolfhaley gave a 1.5 rating before me, so that with my 1.0 rating the course average now stands at exactly 1.25. Obviously that's a really simple example but I think that sort of thing happens a lot.

The only change to the review formulas that I have thought about is something like this: If a review has over 50% unhelpful votes, AND at least 10 total unhelpful votes, then it should remain visible but it should not factor into the overall course rating. I feel that this would encourage voting on reviews and prevent poorly written reviews from factoring into course ratings, without censoring them off the site entirely.

BUT before that, there are so many other things that would make DGCR easier to use like the forum upgrade, a better mobile app, a single login for both site and forum, better map searching, etc. I like the approach greens has stated of taking things slow and not rocking the boat.

Last edited:
Let's not get focused on a feature request thread just yet. It's going to take time to scope all of this out. Tim has stressed this, and will not be overlooked when that time comes around. It just isn't here yet.

Let's not get focused on a feature request thread just yet. It's going to take time to scope all of this out. Tim has stressed this, and will not be overlooked when that time comes around. It just isn't here yet.

How about we just start simple and ban a bunch of people from the site? I can send you a list if it helps.

(Insert snarky emoji here)

Can you let me know what hasn't worked correctly? Would love to correct any issues preventing you from the site. As always, please clear your cache, or reboot your machine would be the simplest place to start.

I kept getting logged out. Constantly. I cleared my cache, multiple times. I rebooted (I'm in IT and that is always the first thing to try).

I've been away for a few days, so I'll see if the issue is still happening. But it was constant for at least three days after the change of ownership. I had issues posting....I would try to post and find out I got logged out.

I posted the issues on another thread also.

7807b084fb4a842c
7805ec2a0be68414
780455eeca8e137a
7803d526faf7842f
780314605836844d

Here's a set of rayban id# I collected when it booted me and locked me out. I've been trying to move slower and cleared my cache. I don't think my BlackBerry on Firefox was working as well as I thought. I did notice the message was different last night when it booted me, so obviously someone's working on it... thanks!

I appreciate all the effort to update the forum! All in all I'd say good job!

i agree that smaller rating increments is not as big of a deal as other potential changes such as:

The only change to the review formulas that I have thought about is something like this: If a review has over 50% unhelpful votes, AND at least 10 total unhelpful votes, then it should remain visible but it should not factor into the overall course rating. I feel that this would encourage voting on reviews and prevent poorly written reviews from factoring into course ratings, without censoring them off the site entirely.

i feel more strongly that we should avoid these kinds of changes. weighting, TR privilege, removing some reviews from the total... these are more the things i was alluding to in my first post. they've been discussed for decades now and have never proven their merit. inclusion promotes participation. that's more important than any one person's idea about what a more accurate overall course rating should be.

BUT before that, there are so many other things that would make DGCR easier to use like the forum upgrade, a better mobile app, a single login for both site and forum, better map searching, etc. I like the approach greens has stated of taking things slow and not rocking the boat.

these are the things that will make DGCR a better place. improving the functionality of features and adding new features should be the primary focus. i sincerely hope there are no changes at all to the reviewing and rating mechanics, ever.

I kept getting logged out. Constantly. I cleared my cache, multiple times. I rebooted (I'm in IT and that is always the first thing to try).

I've been away for a few days, so I'll see if the issue is still happening. But it was constant for at least three days after the change of ownership. I had issues posting....I would try to post and find out I got logged out.

I posted the issues on another thread also.

This seems to have gotten resolved. I haven't been 'forced' logged out yesterday or today.

Apostrophes and other symbols are still getting screwed up when I'm posting reviews (happened to my latest review this morning).

Apostrophes and other symbols are still getting screwed up when I'm posting reviews (happened to my latest review this morning).

ditto. I've had the same issue and i'm seeing in on other reviews and places as well.

Regarding tenth and quarter point increments, first off, I vote hell no to tenth points. If we are somehow limited to one decimal, than 100% we should stick to the current half point system.

I'm sure I'm on the record here (more than a few times over the years) calling for more granularity. I always thought we could use extra tiers at the top of the scale. There are a lot of courses I've wanted to rate 4.25 or 4.75. I would have a hard time doing the same on the bottom end of the scale though. Like someone else mentioned upthread, it can be tough to really draw the line between a 1.0 and a 1.5. How much granularity do we need to differentiate mediocre?

I may have talked myself into a taking another look at which courses belong in which tiers for my ratings. Maybe the courses that I wanted to give 4.75s to should be 4.5s and the bottom few in each lower tier might need to be adjusted down. I've done that at least once before, but the more time that passes and the more courses I play the harder it is. I can't imagine doing that type of adjustment with the numbers some of you folks have.

tldr Stick with half point increments for reviews.

tldr Stick with half point increments for reviews.

I agree.

I really doubt you get that much more from rating something 3.25 instead of 3.0 or 3.5. And wider gaps make you make up your mind: is it better or worse, not somewhere in the middle.

Besides, I use this site more for the reviews than the scores.

Latest posts