• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Site News / Announcement

Hey man... 78 Malibu and a pull out Clarion deck. With 15 or so mixed/ dubbed tapes in the car. It was the only way to road trip!!! I have some fond memories but whoever is trying to bring back cassettes and walkmans needs to stop. The batteries on a walkman wore out after about 1.5 hrs, tapes got eaten and chewed. It sucks even more when it's a videogame for your Atari 2600 or 400 whatever.

I was specifically thinking car audio (factory stereos) when I suggested I could see the use of 8 tracks.

My first car was a '77 Eldorado that I got in '95. Loved that car. Factory stereo was AM/FM/CB only (CB didn't work by the time it made it to me) that I replaced with a Jensen tape deck. I was the tail end of the mixtape generation.

Thank you Tim timg so much for creating this life changing website. There's been 2 times in my Disc Golf life that really stand out. The first is when I first found out about Disc Golf and started playing and the other was finding out about this web site. Being a Disc Golf Course Collector this site became my go to to accelerate my growth of playing new courses. And thank you for your helping me when I needed your help!! Long live Disc Golf Course Review---------------- - +

That sounds like the 400. Mine had the membrane keyboard in the same unit as the cpu and the cartridge reader. Tape cassette drive was external. '83 sounds about right for when we would have gotten it. Miner 2049er was far and away the best game we had.

I had an 800. Totally agree about Miner 2049'er. Although, Blue Max, and Archon were also pretty good.

Never heard of an eight inch floppy disc...
When working for Gould Batteries in 1978, our engineering director wanted our department to learn PCs. I was in charge of selecting our first machine. It was between Apple and Ohio Scientific. We went with the Ohio Scientific because it had more storage on its 8" floppy disks. I kept reading one chapter ahead so I could teach BASIC programming to our staff.

Apologies for subjecting everyone to my lengthy trip down memory lane...

My Lexus has the dual cassette/cd player which I use the sh!t out of. So many thousands of Dead/Radiators and other jam band tapes/discs in my collection most of which are straight from the soundboard original or 1st generation copies. No apologies needed!

My Lexus has the dual cassette/cd player which I use the sh!t out of. So many thousands of Dead/Radiators and other jam band tapes/discs in my collection most of which are straight from the soundboard original or 1st generation copies. No apologies needed!

I am milking my 2010 Honda Accord EX-L for all it's worth and that includes the 6-disc CD changer which I still live by. Have no clue what I'll do when it is time for my next car.

When I bought my car last year and the kid says

"No CD player, of course"

:(

I make mp3's out of vinyl records, put them on an old android smart phone with no cell service on it from 2012, and let 'er rip on shuffle with a bluetooth connection to my 2015 Odyssey. There are around 7,000 tracks on there, but after making these mp3's for 18 years even 30 GB isn't enough space. I've got everything from stuff you've heard of to old 78 rpm records and everything between. I had to replace the battery in it once for about $10 and it's due for that soon, but I don't know how much more time the venerable device has left. 50% of the battery life is usually gone just going to work for 25 minutes...

My family insisted I got an IPhone recently and it looks like just taking MP3's off my computer and putting them in there will be a PITA, like everything else with that ****able thing, so I imagine getting somebody's older (but newer than 2012) android phone shouldn't be a problem.

In the old days? Tapes, baby. Originally I only had AM radio in my '79 Malibu, with the awful antennae wires built into the windshield. I drove a '94 Ranger for like 15 years and had a tape player in there, would dub my CD's onto blanks because I didn't want to spring for a CD player...

Lately I discovered a radio station in Battle Creek that plays music on AM radio and it totally takes me back to my childhood. Love it. I listen to that in my work van. Some of those mixes sound pretty awesome.

And, yes, I totally forgot what the real original topic of this thread is! Ha ha!! Time to scroll back up and see what it was...

Site news! Thanks TimG, hope to throw with you someday!

Last edited:
When working for Gould Batteries in 1978, our engineering director wanted our department to learn PCs. I was in charge of selecting our first machine. It was between Apple and Ohio Scientific. We went with the Ohio Scientific because it had more storage on its 8" floppy disks. I kept reading one chapter ahead so I could teach BASIC programming to our staff.

Okay, those don't sound like home computers...

I was picturing saving a list of courses played on a "home" computer...

Okay, those don't sound like home computers...

I was picturing saving a list of courses played on a "home" computer...

That I could just write on a sleeve of an 8" floppy and save myself 10 minutes of boot time.

BTW: H.E.R.O. and LOGO,, Karateka, FS4, Summer Games and ones you programmed yourself from PC Magazine in BASIC like tunnel runner

I created my first database on a VIC 20 with it's massive 4 kB RAM IIRC? Or was it 16 kB? (YES, kB of RAM)
Obviously used a tape drive for the storage.

It was a membership/attendance record. Probably no one ever looked at/used the data since I was the only person that new how it worked.

8" floppy? Yep.
5.25", 3.25" (360 and 720k), and stupid ZIP discs even. CDR's, DVD-Rs, and BR-R (2s). Always looking for the next thing. Nothing can keep up with the data bloat.

Now, I'm trying to remember--the 5.25" floppy--was it 144k???? That's not right. Can't remember.

I bought my first hard drive USED. 20 MB.

Imagine your PRON in 16 color low res 480pixels. Is that a NIP or a NOSE????

good times.

I created my first database on a VIC 20 with it's massive 4 kB RAM IIRC? Or was it 16 kB? (YES, kB of RAM)
Obviously used a tape drive for the storage.

It was a membership/attendance record. Probably no one ever looked at/used the data since I was the only person that new how it worked.

8" floppy? Yep.
5.25", 3.25" (360 and 720k), and stupid ZIP discs even. CDR's, DVD-Rs, and BR-R (2s). Always looking for the next thing. Nothing can keep up with the data bloat.

Now, I'm trying to remember--the 5.25" floppy--was it 144k???? That's not right. Can't remember.

I bought my first hard drive USED. 20 MB.

Imagine your PRON in 16 color low res 480pixels. Is that a NIP or a NOSE????

good times.

The 5.25" went from 360k to 1.2M, low to hi density.

Had a C-64, and then the first C-128 in the Baltimore metro area when they came out. Spent many hours Poking and peeking programs from the back of game magazines. :)

So...anyone remember my 2 favorites:
Space Taxi, and Great American Cross Country Road Race?

The 5.25" went from 360k to 1.2M, low to hi density.

Had a C-64, and then the first C-128 in the Baltimore metro area when they came out. Spent many hours Poking and peeking programs from the back of game magazines. :)

So...anyone remember my 2 favorites:
Space Taxi, and Great American Cross Country Road Race?

Lol. I spent so much time on those tech specs. Thinking about optimization. Probably the least relevant aspect in reality.

By that I mean the storage space increase was fractional. The need for storage was exponential.

But, much of what we ask from computers is fundamental. The meaningful processing power need is more linear. The ancillary requirements are exponential.

My 6th grade classroom was one of the lucky ones with a TRS-80 model IV in it. My teacher let me stay in for recess and program stuff in BASIC on it, until the principal caught wind of it and made it stop, unfortunately. My masterpiece was a "hockey" game where you entered two team names and it took 100 turns matching random numbers with each other, usually resulting in a hockey-like score. On my Atari 800XL I could make crowd noise for home team "goals" too. Fun stuff for a pre-teen.

My 6th grade classroom was one of the lucky ones with a TRS-80 model IV in it. My teacher let me stay in for recess and program stuff in BASIC on it, until the principal caught wind of it and made it stop, unfortunately. My masterpiece was a "hockey" game where you entered two team names and it took 100 turns matching random numbers with each other, usually resulting in a hockey-like score. On my Atari 800XL I could make crowd noise for home team "goals" too. Fun stuff for a pre-teen.

I found a book about atari basic at a garage sale in Nevada, or Utah, while on a family vacation road trip. Spent many days programming stupid stuff.
Back when that stuff was simple......

With TimG taking a slightly less active role, do we know who handles site errors?

Under the recently added courses tab, there's a "Turkey bend" course in Dunlap, Tenn. (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13810) that should be deleted.

This is the SAME course as Valley Fest DGC (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8903).

I submitted a message with the Report Error/Abuse link yesterday but wasn't sure if there's a better way to get this fixed. And if I'm impatient, I apologize.