• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slower Disc Harder Vs Faster Disc Softer

Slower Disc Harder or Faster Disc Softer?

• Slower Disc Harder.

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Faster Disc Softer.

Votes: 14 19.7%

• Total voters
I try to throw the slowest disc that is consistent for the line I am trying to hit. I thought before it was a distance thing, then I realized it was a line thing. If it's 275' sure I could throw a putter, or a mid, or an overstable/utility fairway. If the line I am trying to hit is a sweep hyzer that can't turn over, then it'll probably be with a mid at 70%. If it's straight at it then it's a putter 75%. If it's a spike hyzer then it's a Firebird at 80%. If it's a low ceiling then a mid...if it's a very low ceiling then a fairway driver, etc.

Once I realized that McBeth sometimes throws his Roc3 on a 400' open shot, and also throws a Teebird on a <300' shot that he has to laser low through the woods, then I saw it's about stability/line while trying to throw at your comfortable golf power zone.

This pretty much sums up what I think also. Know what you want to use your discs for.

If you work on learning to throw from a stand still and/or with fewer steps than a full x-step this becomes much less of an issue. "Powering down" just means taking fewer steps while still throwing with about the same "oomph" on every throw. You'll end up with more distance overlap between molds and more choices for lines to take.