• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Slower utility disc?

Toro for 4 speed. Beefier than a Zone. Wonderful up to 250' (for me) on a flex BH, up to 200' on a FH.

If you can nab a premium Viper from the Factory Store then get one! Like a super OS TeeBird.

For those who bag a mid or putter for tricky get out of trouble shots, which disc do you bag and why?

I have a weird gummy 400G A2 with a 2018 tournament stamp on it. It's nice a grippy for me, I can approach, flex, spike hyzer, flick with it. It's amazing.

I've tried to "plastic match" it with other later release A2's in 400G and they are much more slick. Just not the same plastic.

Well, I think I'm going to narrow it down to the Justice or the A2 for now.

While all of the Stego talk was helpful, it just limits my distance a little more than I'd like and getting it to skip if I need it to is almost impossible.

I think the A2 or Justice will just give me a little more flexibility out on the course.

Still open to other options and opinions though if anyone wants to share.

Other great OS options that I juggle in and out of the bag: 750 A4, Croc, Caiman, Baobab, Devil Hawk, Pig, AviarX3, Rat (not as OS as the numbers say but, ignoring that, it's fantastic for what it does)

if its between an a2 or justice you have to look at the mutant too i would say jarn but i think its too fast.

Other than my putter, the utility midrange is my biggest stroke saver. Been using the Gator and AviarX3 combo for a while but have been trying the Toro out lately and I like it. Super beefy and doesn't skip like the Gator.

A2/Zone are solid. I use the AviarX3 and Toro and am very happy with that combo. People say the Toro is more stable than the zone but I've found it's a bit mellower - and right where I want it for control.

In MVP world, I'd rank the OS mids in increasing stability Runway>Pyro>Deflector. I can't deal with the last and I can sometimes turn over the first. Right now the Pyro seems to be the happy medium, but the Deflector is probably the closest to what you're describing, albeit maybe a shade longer. Among the putters, it would be the Entropy and Stabilizer by the numbers, but I think both are more mellow than they read.

Can you compare the Stabilizer to the Runway?

I have a Cosmic Neutron Stabilizer that I really like. For me, it has more glide and a more pushing (vs dumpy) gade than other discs I've tried with similar stability. [I don't like (or need) super OS or dumpy discs, like the Lucid Justice.]

I'm hoping a Neutron Runway will have similar traits, but be a little longer. The reviews are mixed, though. Some compare it to the Justice. Others say it's less OS than a Z Zone (which would be fine by me).

I think you're on the right track with the Runway as an extension of the Stabilizer. Haven't thrown a Justice, but by reputation I'd put it north of the Pyro in stability.

Go for it. You won't be disappointed and I'm betting you'll be thoroughly pleased with how it fits your mechanics (again using the Stabilizer as a reference point),

I don't think the Runway is more stable than most Pyros, but I do think it glides less. I frequently throw a Pyro 350+ that would be near unthinkable with the Runway, but it doesn't really fade super hard.

Less stable than most Justices IMO.

For anyone than may find this thread searching for info on the Runway...

I received my Neutron Runway yesterday and had a chance to compare it with some similar discs today.

Compared to my Cosmic Neutron Stabilizer, the Runway has a little more HSS and a very noticeable amount of extra LSS. I wouldn't call it "dumpy" but it doesn't push when it starts to fade like the Stabilizer. It turns left (RHBH) harder when it loses speed, but still glides, so it gets much further left. It's also a bit longer than the Stabilizer.

Compared to a Cryztal Flx (Get Freaky) Zone, the Runway has similar HSS but a less dumpy fade. The Runway is a bit longer because of that, and gets much further left. The Zone just wants to get to the ground when it starts to slow down.

Compared to a Star Caiman, the Runway is pretty similar stability-wise, but has more glide.

Compared to an R-Pro Pig, the Runway has more HSS and the fade is less dumpy. The Pig is a bit longer and straighter.

Compared to a Frontline Hyzerbomb Mortar, the Runway is a bit more HSS and turns more aggressively left when it starts to slow. Both have decent glide. With Mortars getting harder & harder to find, the Runway is a reasonable alternative.

Compared to a Lucid Verdict, the Runway is noticeably more HSS, has less glide, and the fade is a bit more aggressive/dumpy. (The Verdict pushes forward more as it fades.) The Verdict is a little longer.

Compared to a Lucid Justice, the Runway is less HSS and has much more glide. The Justice turns immediately out of the hand and does nothing but go left and get to the ground. It's a classic one trick pony. The Runway is much longer and more usable.

TLDR: The Runway is very HSS while still having decent glide. It fades aggressively, but isn't in a hurry to get to the ground, so it gets further left than most discs in this class.

Last edited: