• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Small weak female seeks advice on buying discs for big strong male

Phaewryn

Hello. I am a tiny weak female and I have a big strong boyfriend who is just now showing interest in my favorite sport. I did the worst no-no possible and let him start his first game with a driver instead of a mid-range, and now he really insists he doesn't want to use anything else, even for putting, because "it feels weird and has nothing to grip". I know I did this to myself, and I should have made him use a midrange to start (or insisted he must use a putter to putt), BUT, I am trying to get him MORE interested, not less, SO:

Are there ANY discs made in a "wide rim driver shape" that are even remotely usable for putting? I am really going to be annoyed if I have to watch him overthrow and bounce off things forever. What can I do to slowly wean him to a putting shape for putting? I suspect he'd do a little better with a softer disc compound, but I'm not going to sacrifice my rare innova champion material disc to him even for a test round. Maybe a Roc+? What's Innova's softest driver material called these days? I admit I do not know other discs maker's product lines, so open to suggestions from any maker.

Failing that, what are the best 3 discs to start a new big strong male beginner with on a heavily wooded course? I would like suggestions for drivers that fly straight and don't fade or turn much. And the same in a mid, which could double as a putter ideally. And the widest rimmed putter made for bulky man-hands. He is currently playing the whole course with a 150g Innova Archangel (In their hard cheap compound, I forget what it's called), which he really likes but says needs to be heavier (I agree, but I was experimenting with lighter weights for a year and what I have in my bag as a spare is what he's getting now). Discs that don't cost a fortune and survive tree impacts would be VERY helpful (We are both FANTASTIC at woodpecking!)

Oh, and me: Hi! I'm Phae and I have been playing since 2008, very casually, and I still don't keep score or really do great (for me it's all about the fun and being out there, not winning). I began playing with my ex-partner and developed a real love of the "sport" and it has just stuck with me as one of the things that really makes me truly HAPPY.

I play with a 167g Innova "old mold/gummi" 2003 BS World Champ Champion Beast (I will be really sad when this disc dies as I don't think I will find another like it), a Innova Spider (147g old favorite in a semi-flexible material I can't identify which I also think is rare and is no longer stable as it is so worn, 165g woodpecker in whatever the cheap hard plastic was called a decade ago), and a 167g Ching Tank (soft fusion). I used to swear by my old 147 Spider and played the whole course with it up to putting (way way over par, lol), but it's very old and damaged and has developed a serious fade, and I find I play more with my old Beast driver now and like the weight and the super soft gummi feel. I'm happy with my discs, but I know that's what great for a decrepit/disabled 40 year old 5'2" 130lb female isn't what's best for a 185lb 5'11" under 30 male (and that's great since my favorite discs are basically all very rare and buying more would be very difficult/expensive), so I am here for advice on what discs to buy for my partner's first bag, and perhaps what could replace my favorite discs someday. I would love advice on what to replace my "gummi" 2003 champion beast with when it dies, that would be helpful! Just knowing who makes flexible/gummi discs and what the material is called these days would help a lot. I play only wooded courses, and this gummi material can take a hard banging on a tree and not damage the disc - It's brilliant stuff. In case it's not obvious: If you own any of these old Innovas in good condition and want to sell them, I could be convinced.

Hi Phae!

Wow, great first post but lots of questions to wrangle here... you're going to get a TON of opinions here, so buckle up!

First off, bummer you missed it, but I just sold a Proline beast tonight on the marketplace! If you are not already a member that can buy/sell in the marketplace, its (cheap) money well spent for the upgrade to find good deals on discs. Sounds like you are into maybe Proline plastic, which is still out there and available. If its a CE plastic you have, might be a rough go of it finding a replacement, though. I'd suggest joining the Innova Beast Collectors page on Facebook. You'll find very specific help there.
My wife loves throwing beasts, too, so I'm always keeping my eyes open for lighter weight/cool versions.

Proline plastic was always one of my favorites, and I've found that a new European company Kastaplast, and their K1 plastic is the closest I've found to the same feel and durability, for what its worth.
http://www.kastaplast.se
I have actually used their KAXE disc for putting in difficult wind situations, and I have a couple of the straighter version of this disc (the KAXE Z) for sale for a reasonable price right now in the marketplace, if you end up set on a driver-like putter for your friend. It looks like a fairway driver, but actually is called a mid, so might be a good way to settle him down toward the putter end of things.

I'd also suggest maybe looking at MVP/Axiom disc mids/fairways for an in-between option.
http://mvpdiscsports.com
http://www.axiomdiscs.com
Their rims are very comfortable, and the look of the over-mold might "trick" him into being okay with it, lol.

A Roc is also a great choice, too, if you can talk him into it.
Reptilian Disc golf is about to release some pretty cool custom stamps Rocs on their website in the next 24hrs you might want to check out.
http://www.reptiliandiscgolf.com/products

Good luck!

Last edited:
Also, do not underestimate the power of just getting a putter with a very cool stamp of something he digs.
(Reptilian has a bunch like that)
When all else fails, subtle bribery is the way to go, lol.

For the record, it was a college girlfriend of mine, that lived near a Pittsburgh DG course, that got me into the sport back in the 90s. We need more ladies leading the charge, so many thanks to you!

Awesome, I will be researching all you advised! Thanks for the fast response. I actually made a video of my beast, maybe that will help identify it? It isn't foldable (well, it *might* be but I'm not risking attempting it), but it is very flexible and bounces off trees really soft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JcPnmTL_kM

I am so new here that I don't know where to find the marketplace, can you possibly link me to that section, please?

Good tip! The Kastaplast GRYM looks very similar profile to my favorite Innova Beast, if it's a similar plastic, you may have sent me a winner (not for my partner, but for ME)! Thank you!

Click on the "Forums" tab up top. It'll take you here:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/
Careful w the Grym, I've not thrown it yet, but its faster than the Beast, for sure!
K1 plastic IS amazing, though....

I don't have enough power to be dangerous, no worries. :D
Who sells this brand for the best price+shipping in the usa? (retailers)
Sweden landscape is a lot like Vermont/NH. I need discs made by people who understand what trees and rockfaces are, so I am pretty happy to try this brand's plastics!

Do you think their K1 plastic is more like the Beast I posted, or would their K2 be closer? I'm really looking for something I can hit off big trees and wont be missing big divots out of the disc, but will sort of just flex and bounce off. I don't have a lot of force behind my throws, but some of my discs have not fared as well. Here's the same sort of woodpecker damage comparatively between my Spider and that Beast. The Spider has a huge notch, the Beast has just a tiny splinter. I do not know what type of plastic the Spider is, but it's really not very good. It gets rough scratchy abrasions and knicks easily.

Attachments

• damages.jpg
    damages.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 27
one driver that may be most suitable for putting is the Maximizer. You can get them at GGGT. They are usually soft and terribly understable, so they might not hyzer out before they get to the basket.

GGGT also sells Kataplast.

Last edited:
one driver that may be most suitable for putting is the Maximizer. You can get them at GGGT. They are usually soft and terribly understable, so they might not hyzer out before they get to the basket.

What weight would you suggest that disc in for a healthy/active man? I don't know what big upper body strength men usually like, and he's too new to have a preference. Do strong men with good upper body strength usually get heavier weight discs?

What weight would you suggest that disc in for a healthy/active man? I don't know what big upper body strength men usually like, and he's too new to have a preference. Do strong men with good upper body strength usually get heavier weight discs?

For most throws, the disc weight shouldn't be about strength, but speed and distance.
All things being normal, a fairly new thrower should probably start out at 165g or so for most discs.
However, for putting, get 170-175g.

If his complaint is about not having enough to grab onto for a putter vs. driver, you could always try and get him a putter that is exceptionally deep. Or something like the scale from RDG since it has a thumbtac and he could have additional grip from that.

Just a couple ideas.

Get him a River or Leopard for a driver, and tell him that only studly beef muffins use Rocs.

I'm a newbie myself to DG, and my home course is also tightly wooded. I really like the Vibram discs, they seem virtually indestructible. I prefer the medium material. I have an Ibex and a Trak that have both taken more than a few full-speed tree shots, and not only are the flight characteristics of both completely unaffected, there isn't even a mark on either disc. Also, the grip of the Vibrams is outstanding, something he might appreciate.

FWIW, I am about the same size as your boyfriend, and prefer throwing discs right around 170 g. When I first started, I assumed I would want to throw heavier discs, since I was used to throwing a 175 g. Ultrastar during my Ultimate days. But as others have said, trying to "muscle" a heavy disc will probably not lead to success.

Get him a River or Leopard for a driver, and tell him that only studly beef muffins use Rocs.

This is a good suggestion. I can putt pretty good with a River, and they come in a variety of plastics and weights. It's a good all purpose disc, for a driver.

A used Leopard & Cheetah is a wonder for new players. When used they go so straigh you can also putt with them.

If he's insisting on a driver for everything, a Discmania FD is a good beginners driver. Very straight, good plastic, not a putter by any means, but it beats trying to throw a Nuke at chains.

Thanks everyone! I will try to get one of everything suggested here in good used condition for him to try!

One more question. I plan to give him my old bag and buy myself a better one. Can anyone suggest a really stable bottom heavy bag that wont roll down inclines that is aimed at holding about 6-8 discs, has a putter pocket, has a bottom zippered pocket for canned drink storage, at least 1 zippered side pocket for kleenexes keys and such, and at least 1 drink holder? Also, good strap harnesses that will distribute weight on two shoulders and not put any pressure on my neck or throat? I have a condition that is very pressure sensitive to shoulder straps, and need something that will really distribute the weight off my neck and put it on both shoulders, and I'm really sick of my drink pouring down the hill when my bag tips over and rolls.

The fade crunch box is probably the best value small to medium sized bag. You would need to get some shoulder straps for it.

Latest posts