• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Small weak female seeks advice on buying discs for big strong male

Tell him he is being a dumb and arrogant Male if he won't use a putter. Seriously, would a Ball Golfer use an iron on the green? Would you use a Hammer to open a tin can? Would James Bond use a Bazooka to kill an enemy he was standing next to?

Use the right tool for the job, that is something even a manly man should relate to ;)

But if that doesn't work, give him a Rhyno or an Envy, or some other putter that just look like it has to be more than a putter.

Meanwhile, I'm contemplating how cool it would be to have a girlfriend trying to get me into playing DG. Have fun!

If you are trying to get your boyfriend to use a putter, can you arrange to have some other burly male players mock him for putting with a driver? It is an odd quirk of human nature to assign higher value to advice from random strangers versus advice from our nearest and dearest.

Otherwise, exercise patience. Most people who develop an interest in the game eventually recognize the value of putters.

And, of course, you could kick his butt twelve ways from Sunday with your putting, but that could go either way in terms of developing his long-term interest in the game. :D

If you are trying to get your boyfriend to use a putter, can you arrange to have some other burly male players mock him for putting with a driver? It is an odd quirk of human nature to assign higher value to advice from random strangers versus advice from our nearest and dearest.

Otherwise, exercise patience. Most people who develop an interest in the game eventually recognize the value of putters.

And, of course, you could kick his butt twelve ways from Sunday with your putting, but that could go either way in terms of developing his long-term interest in the game. :D

If anyone mocks him, I will once again have no-one to play with for another indeterminable number years of my life, so I sure hope that never happens. I think once he plays a few more games he'll come to realise that he needs to figure out a putter to sink the putts. He's so new now that it's sort of not really sunk in, as he's missing the chains anyway, so he hasn't really seen too much whack/bounce (yet). It's just a matter of my own mistake, I knew I should have had him play with a mid at first, and didn't. I played with a mid for my first whole year before even holding a driver. I got a lot of advice here, and I'm sure I can put together a decent beginner bag for him on everyone's advice, thanks! (and I'm sure he'll drift into trying the correct discs for the shot over time)

Tell him he is being a dumb and arrogant Male if he won't use a putter. Seriously, would a Ball Golfer use an iron on the green? Would you use a Hammer to open a tin can? Would James Bond use a Bazooka to kill an enemy he was standing next to?

Use the right tool for the job, that is something even a manly man should relate to ;)

But if that doesn't work, give him a Rhyno or an Envy, or some other putter that just look like it has to be more than a putter.

Meanwhile, I'm contemplating how cool it would be to have a girlfriend trying to get me into playing DG. Have fun!

He's not dumb or arrogant, it's MY FAULT for not starting him with the correct discs.

Also, do not underestimate the power of just getting a putter with a very cool stamp of something he digs.
(Reptilian has a bunch like that)
When all else fails, subtle bribery is the way to go, lol.

For the record, it was a college girlfriend of mine, that lived near a Pittsburgh DG course, that got me into the sport back in the 90s. We need more ladies leading the charge, so many thanks to you!

You know, when you first posted this advice I lol'ed, because all the discs I had seen are "hippie" (grateful dead and pot leaves, etc), religious (angels, demons, etc), or animals. But today I ran across MVP discs, and now I might just have found something he might actually like from a design viewpoint.

Marshall Street also has a full section of special stamps. Or you could always ask one of the guys on the Disc Dyeing forum to do a custom stencil of his favorite band/Neil Degrasse Tyson/Orcs, whatev. ;)

As far as a small bag goes, I got my girl the Westside Standard and she loves it. Well constructed with heavy brass clips, solid base (her old DD Cadet bag always tipped over), she carries 12-13 discs, 32oz Gatorade, and has plenty of extra storage for anything else in the large side pocket.

Cheers.

Latest posts