• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snap Putting.....?!?please help

Golferguy88

I have been playing for 4 years now and I have been on the up hill climb of improvement. I now have found a wall. Drivers do not bother me and when i have a upshot to take most of the time i put it close. I have now discovered that my biggest problem is putting. I have tried to develop a pre shot routine, and that helps calm me up to the point of the putt it's self. I have tried lob putting turbo putting and basically just throwing it, as i would a mid range with my side to the basket. For the life of me i can not find the factor that makes people snap putt. 1 How is the Disc held. 2 Where dose the power come from. 3 How do you practice this. 4 What do i stay away from so that i do not develop bad habits. Thank you in advance for you input. :popcorn:

I am not quite sure what you mean by the term "snap putting", but maybe this video could assist you in your search for putting tips.

I'm still new at the game, so I'm not really giving advice, but when I do these things, I putt better than when I don't do these things:
I pick a target(just right of the pole) and I don't take my eye off it until the disc is in the basket.
I concentrate on a level release, to the point of turning my wrist a degree or two more just before release.
I concentrate on my hand pointing at the target after release, in the "handshake" position.
On longer putts, say 30' and out, I take a step back and put the disc on my left pec so I can step into the release. Holding it up high helps me to keep it level and stepping in helps me get more "power" on it. I actually made the putt in this pic.

Attachments

• disc golf 008.jpg
    disc golf 008.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 59
First time poster here. I assume this is what you're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0ak4GP_cg&feature=player_embedded

I've tried multiple techniques of putting, and other than straddle putting I've had little success until I saw this video. Not that anything was wrong with straddle putting, but this felt a lot more natural after driving.

Thats a nice quick and to the point video. Thanks for posting that; I think I will give it a try.

There was a Clinic at AM Worlds with Nate, Avery, and Valerie. Nate and Avery explained the difference between Push putting and Spin putting and said that all putting uses these two elements but the difference is how much of one more than the other. Avery said his issue was height and that he never felt like he had to worry about missing left to right but going to high or shooting to low. Said he had more issues of rolling away if he hits the basket but more often than not drops right next to it. Nate described spin putting (would make sense to me as snap putting) and he said his issue was never being to high or to low but missing left to right and if he did it would glide farther if he wasn't careful but didn't have as much worry about rolls.

The spin put relies heaviest on snapping the wrist with less arm movement (somewhat like Dave Dunapiece's video) where the push putt relies on more arm and uses light spin. The best way I could think to learn it is grab a freestyle disc (frisbee) and putt with that for a bit. Frisbees respond primarily to getting spin/snap on them. So maybe try that.

I myself like spin putting, my girlfriend seems to like a hyzer push putt... not sure if that is good or not. Anyone know anything about hyzer putting? As far as I know Niko really makes it work.

I have been playing for 4 years now and I have been on the up hill climb of improvement. I now have found a wall. Drivers do not bother me and when i have a upshot to take most of the time i put it close. I have now discovered that my biggest problem is putting. I have tried to develop a pre shot routine, and that helps calm me up to the point of the putt it's self. I have tried lob putting turbo putting and basically just throwing it, as i would a mid range with my side to the basket. For the life of me i can not find the factor that makes people snap putt. 1 How is the Disc held. 2 Where dose the power come from. 3 How do you practice this. 4 What do i stay away from so that i do not develop bad habits. Thank you in advance for you input. :popcorn:

Been loving the r-pro pig and champion("pearly champion plastic"...see thread) rhyno lately because of three reasons:

1. The Thumtrac on the top of disc...perfect position for laying thumb on
2. The stability....to snap putt...I find it helpful to throw a disc that can take the power you put in it.
3. The lack of glide...lately, glide hurts my midrange and putting game....with discs lacking glide....you get what you threw...hopefully the putt is str8 with small lift.....and my favorite....put the disc in the basket with authority...on windy dayz, when your boyz are missing, you'll be glad you are tossing a STONE in the basket
4. Last...and this is the advice part....concentrate on pointing your thumb and index finger at the basket after the disc has released. Make sure to have the disc's nose slightly(SLIGHTLY) up....throwing them flat is for 10 or less feet from the basket...any farther and it helps to give the disc enough glide to get to the target.

When I want to snap putt....I use a stagger step stance or one foot in front of the other, I get most of my weight on my front foot and bend my legs a little....I then have two methods....
1. draw the disc back to the diaphragm area and move forward to the release point
2. draw the disc back to the side(reach back to opposite bicep) and move forward to the release point.

Don't think power.....just think about your stance, focus on the target and focus on your release point(basically...where will your index finger and thumb end up after the disc is released)...speed and being smooth will come with time....think of the process like quickly and smoothly breaking up a rack of poolballs with a very light pool stick

gl...:hfive::thmbup:

Last edited:
When I am putting consistently but poorly, I am hitting the dead-center of the outside of the basket or top ring. Both make a loud "pang" noise and result in a missed birdie or par. I throw a 175g Wizard on a hyzer for longer putts (40'-80'), spin it for shorter putts (20'-40') and just flop it in like a projectile really close (<20'), obviously some gray area in the transitions. So its a height/distance issue, and my putt types by distance are intended to reduce fly-by and roll away (I almost always make the second one if I miss completely). Any suggestions regarding equipment or technique?

You could try running straight at the basket from further out. In my experience with Wizards I feel comfortable taking runs at the basket from within 60' or so and unless there's a strong wind. The comeback putts are usually guaranteed.

I use a style similar to you in that the further I am, the more hyzer I use on the putt. I try to take straight runs at the basket from within 40' if I feel confident making it and there's nothing too hazardous behind the pin if I miss. Past that and up to about 100' and I'll use a hyzer jump putt.

Wizards work great for the longer hyzer putts but for a 40' straight shot at the basket I like the Magic. Wizards work for the same putt but need to be thrown differently to compensate for their stability...either a bit more to the right and let it fade towards chains or throw it harder so it doesn't go slow enought o fade before hitting chains.

Wizards work great for the longer hyzer putts but for a 40' straight shot at the basket I like the Magic. Wizards work for the same putt but need to be thrown differently to compensate for their stability...either a bit more to the right and let it fade towards chains or throw it harder so it doesn't go slow enought o fade before hitting chains.
Hmmm... thats a good point. I was planning on buying a new Wizard the next time I get a chance, to use solely for shorter putts. Then use my current one for longer putts, approaches, and drives because a good amount of its stability has been beaten out and as such doesn't dive as hard at the end. I'm also experiencing what I believe to be a loss of release consistency at slower speeds because the bead is getting so mangled.

Perhaps I will try a Magic or Warlock instead.

The other advice listed is right on too, and I practice it as well.

I am hating turning away from glidy putters lately(use to love challengers, APX, Focus)....

Bottom line, I am in love with the thumbtrac on those Rhynos and Pigs:p. I can get way nastier snap putts as the discs are way dirtier than the Banger GTs. I won't say I am completely a true snap putter, but the more I play with these discs, they literally force me to be aggressive. Anything beyond 30 feet, and I can change up to the R-pro Pig, which is more glidy and tackier for longer shots....and I use a more hyzer angle at the basket or anhyzer if need be.

Not to mention, glidy putters are less stable, and are harder to control when putting heat on them....and if you don't hit:gross:.....Glidy putters get me second guessing shots:confused:...even to the point of blowing by the shot:wall:. I don't want to have to rely on them getting to the basket, regardless of the shot, especially if there is wind. Also, the bangerGT is still a glidy(literally a challenger) mold....where the rhyno and pig are anti-glide.

Going to Ludington today to put these discs to work:thmbup:

Last edited:
I've never heard someone refer to the pig as glidy. I've also never heard someone refer to the same disc they described as glidy as antiglide. Your posts are awesome.

I've never heard someone refer to the pig as glidy. I've also never heard someone refer to the same disc they described as glidy as antiglide. Your posts are awesome.
He said that the r-pro rhyno was more "glidy", presumibly, when compared to premimum plastics.

Latest posts