• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Sneaky long

I like your style man. I came to say FD. Teebirds are my schit too. But the FD is the longest distance disc I even to throw anymore. I can't throw 9+ speed drivers farther or more accurately so I don't even bag any.

FD is by far the best disc I've thrown in a long time. Probably my favorite "true" fairway.

What drivers would you guys say are "sneaky long"? By that I mean they gain noticeably more distance than you think they should and end up beyond your intended target.

Innova Champion Beast, the X-mold. The first disc I launched beyond 500' roughly ~524' verifying as best I could via Google Maps (only did it a couple of times on flat ground doing field work).

After that, I'd honestly have to say an Aviar. With good form these easily can get out to 300' for me. I don't toss them that far often, but I know if I need to I can launch a Star out thereto close to 300' or a Champion a few feet outside circle 1 on a 300' tee.

Lots of FD mentions here...

I don't get it because I throw my seasoned Star Eagle further than my FD's every time. I must just click with them better. I get more distance out of Rocs when compared to Buzzz as well, never could figure out why.

I don't get it because I throw my seasoned Star Eagle further than my FD's every time. I must just click with them better. I get more distance out of Rocs when compared to Buzzz as well, never could figure out why.

I don't know how far most people throw their fairways but I think FD's are easy to throw 300-330' because they have trusty stability there so they aren't finicky but also won't fade out like a Teebird likely would. Also for someone throwing fairways in that range they can get FD's to carry a huge anny distance line...so I get why it's been mentioned a lot. When past that fairway distance say 340-350+ I think lots of fairways fly the same range for me, you're getting pretty much anything straight-ish up to speed and they will hold off on the fade.

I think the thing to keep in mind too is how seasoned is your star Eagle and what's a new one like? Whereas you can just buy an FD and have it go pretty straight and far. Personally I can throw a beat Teebird farther and straighter but they are pretty neck and neck honestly...however out of the box that's a different story.

I really think it's a power thing...for a while I could throw a Buzzz farther than a Roc but now I bet it's the same. There's a power range that I think most typical disc golfers are at where I do think a FD is longer than lots of fairways and a Buzzz is longer than a typical Roc. Then everything evens out again...then at even more power I think it becomes what disc can handle your power and not get touchy.

Last edited:
Cd2. A nice seasoned c line can by hyper flipped, and goes great with the more overstable domed s line, or roaming thunder. I have no problems ripping them 330-350.

I mentioned P2 and Comet but my FDs are third in line. They're easy for me to get good D with very low power shots. I can put 50-60% power on them and get them to go dead straight for 300-350'. (Think of how you throw an ultimate disc for D--not a huge reach back but a slow pull through and then fast ending from sternum to finish.) This is how I can get a bunch of very understable drivers like FDs, roadrunners, and comets to go straight. :thmbup:

Innova Champion Beast, the X-mold. The first disc I launched beyond 500' roughly ~524' verifying as best I could via Google Maps (only did it a couple of times on flat ground doing field work).

After that, I'd honestly have to say an Aviar. With good form these easily can get out to 300' for me. I don't toss them that far often, but I know if I need to I can launch a Star out thereto close to 300' or a Champion a few feet outside circle 1 on a 300' tee.

I agree with the old mold champ Beast. I haven't thrown one in a long time, but when I did they'd go surprisingly far. They have a nice bit of high speed turn and stay in the air a long time. I was always able to throw Beasts further than Orcs. I never liked the Beast L and pretty much gave up on Beasts at that point.

Last edited:
Here's an oddball answer for you...the Banshee.

The Flow habitually ends up as far as my distance drivers, while taking a straighter, more efficient path there.

Opto Mercy can fly as far as my midranges as well. Sneaky, floaty distance.

Cd2. A nice seasoned c line can by hyper flipped, and goes great with the more overstable domed s line, or roaming thunder. I have no problems ripping them 330-350.

I'll second CD2. I can't get mine to flip up yet, but thrown flat or with a tick of anny, it just goes and goes.

The Ballista Pro is the only driver I have thrown in a long time that is controllable enough to be worth throwing on the course that also goes noticeably further easier than other discs I bag. I really did not expect to be adding a new mold to the bag when I tried it.