• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

2 rounds at sylmar. Rd 1 - -2 with a double on the first hole. Rd 2 +3 with a finish of double, double, par. Frustrating way to end the day.

I shot my first bogey-free round in quite a while. Ended up only 2 under, but I was pretty happy. I left some birdie opportunities out there, but I consistently made my 20-foot putts, and I made a couple hero upshots to save par after early mishaps.

Was able to show two players a new-to-them course today that they would have never otherwise found on their own. Shot -9 through 36 holes, which is decent but not great. It earned me a solid 2nd place finish in our group of 4. I had an ace run hit the top edge of the cage, ricochet up against where the chains are held, then hit the top of the cage again before tipping off onto the ground :(

We finished the outing with a little sushi, beer, and saki because that's how we do in Aikawa prefecture.

Unusually warm weather in Ohio meant my favorite course was much busier than normal. For the first time ever I tried dialing back the power of my drives for control purposes. They were only going 250-ish, but I was able to get them where I wanted them for the most part. Took a 7 on a hole after I four-putted (hit two trees, then a brutal rollaway down a steep hill). Still shot the best round I've ever had.

Now to work on my putting. I'm assuming there are videos for putting just like there are for driving?

FINALLY got to play. First round since early november, aside from a meh 9 hole kids course back in December. Only had time to get in one full round, but in the full round I played +2. My driving was bad, my approach game was worse, but my putting was on point. Only thing I've been able to do since winter turned around here is putt in my garage. Zero misses inside for 25ish. One miss just inside the circle and 2 makes from about 40. I've never putted so well in my life. If it doesn't rain to bad I'm going back out after work tomorrow.

Now to work on my putting. I'm assuming there are videos for putting just like there are for driving?

tons. Feldberg has a few on push putting that are good. One thing I'll add to it, though, because he explains it just plain wrong. You do spin the disc when push putting. It just is a very small amount. If you didn't spin the disc at all it would be like throwing a knuckle ball in baseball. It's more or less the natural way the disc rolls off your fingers that gives it the spin.

Played 18 @ my new "home" course and two rounds of 9 @ the pitch and putt. Played poorly as usual, but threw some new plastic. Had a good time.

I lost a disc for the first time in like 2 years today. And it was my only Fission Photon that I had really fallen in love with. Needless to say I'm not happy right now.

Played pretty well. Had a couple drives ~500'. Of course, there was proabably a 50' or more drop in elevation. Putting was ok. Approaches were solid.

But the best thing was that I found an unlisted course because of an excellent speaker we had at church this past Sunday. Other than KMDGC, at my house, it's the closest course to me at about 35 minutes from home. It's at a church retreat/camp. So, admittedly, my expectations were low.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised! It was a super fun course to play with a great variety of holes. I'll be adding it to DGCR soon. I believe that it will be a "must play" if you're anywhere near Cumberland, MD.

I lost a disc for the first time in like 2 years today. And it was my only Fission Photon that I had really fallen in love with. Needless to say I'm not happy right now.

I lost one of those. Off the tee I ended up about 20 foot into thick and thorny brush. Had to go around the patch and come in from the backside. Didby bother to bring another disc in the garbage with meas all I had for a shot was overhand pitch back into the fairway. Soft OH toss I could see hit right where I wanted in the fairway, but it rolled out of my los. No big deal, it was moving slow. Got out and couldn't find it. I searched for a long time cursing where the F could it have went. Finally gave up and got a call later that night. It managed to roll about 100 ft down the fairway and into the ruff. Well out of the line of play.

Played glow last night. Did not realize it was mob drinking glow golf. I did not lose any plastic. Morning dubs redemption.

Hit my first ace today. Played Garfield Park in Grand Rapids for the first time with a buddy. Hole 11 through a bunch of trees. We heard a weird sound when my disc disappeared behind the trees, wasn't wood, wasn't chains. We walked towards the basket and as I'm looking for my disc he says "Dude! It's in the basket!"
Sure enough there it was. I don't know the actual distance because they have changed the course up a bit, the course guide on here says its 237ft.

And dig this, I just bought the disc used at Grand Rapids hobby and disc golf 20 minutes before we played!

Welp, it's a beautiful day in michigan, but a bad day for me. I shot 10 over...zero birdies. I could not put two good shots together. If I had a good drive, I'd throw my approach way high and watched them sail past the basket. I hit no putts past 10 foot, most of my putts were cicles edge or longer. Just a bad day.

But, hey, I finally have a forhand that isn't horrible. Still really inaccurate on drives (see my score), but nice and level, no wobbles. I might get our again later. Depends on if a buddy wants to play after he gets out of work.

Brought my puppy for a walk to the park. Brought my new (used) 2nd first run Buzzz, and I couldnt wait to try it out. Finally figured out that driving midranges is all about the thumb. Im putting it farther onto the flight plate, and its cleaning up my angle of release, and I'm making sure I don't over-snap them. I'm finally getting consistent straight shots out to around 325.

Then went back home and putted in the yard. Trying out my new Wizard

Attachments

• IMAG0626_1.jpg
    IMAG0626_1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 15
Finally broke 300' on a drive, and surprisingly it happened on the course instead of during fieldwork. Launched my Saint 340' on a 514' hole, but unfortunately the wind carried it 20° to the right. Either way I'll take it I guess.

Played my first round of 2017! Hit mid 50's locally so I took the drive down to Brandy Lake park.

Still in winter layout so only 13 holes but shot one under par, which is great for first day out w/no warm ups.

Still some snow but not enough for me to lose a disc in (I strongly dislike winter golf), so it worked out.

Unfortunately more snow and cold to come so I got most likely at least four more weeks till I can really start hitting courses consistently again.

Mmmmmmm, meh. I did alright with all things considered, but since I haven't thrown consistently for several months my driving has definitely gotten shorter. Had a good time at Oakwood park though.

My personal best of -12 came with a hard to swallow sacrifice to the golf gods.
DSCF0062%20-%20Edited_zpsk40axyja.jpg

Rest in pieces my friend you will be missed.

Last edited:
^ A valorous end.

I stomped out the first nine holes on our new (in progress) course. Tees and basket locations are now fully locked in, so I can begin to learn the routes. Second nine should be locked in a couple more weeks, then concrete will follow. Should be fully playable in 6-8 weeks. :thmbup: