• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

My best friend (who introduced me to disc golf) and I won our doubles tournament this weekend and qualified for USDGC! Shot a lightning hot -18 followed by a -12 on a 20-hole course.

Can't wait to play Winthrop Gold and Camp Canaan in October!
YVGub1K

Actually had a hell of a round on a gorgeous day today-almost tied my PB on the gold (medium difficulty) layout at my local. Only had 2 real foul ups that together gave me 3 strokes. Had a blast testing out my 157G wrath, it's a great Thunderbird replacement.

Played with a buddy. I've been getting ready for my first 2 tourneys and my game has sort of fallen apart lately. Played with a friend and started out with a bogey on 2, 3, and 4 on a stretch of holes where I'm usually E or -1. But then things sort of clicked and I forced myself to stick to the plan and matched my best ever at this course. And it was a beautiful day with minimal traffic on course.

The downside is that I was warming up and trying a few discs at another course and I lost my favorite DX Roc in the water. It is a shot that I flex directly towards the water and then it comes out of the flex and crashes to the basket. Threw it exactly like I wanted and the thought never crossed my mind that it go into the the water. It came out of the flex, but then never really faded on me. Got down to the water and there was a pretty stiff headwind that I didn't feel at the tee. It had been in my bag 3-4 years and I had planned to use it on about 15 shots at my 2 tournament courses.

Ran two more tournaments this weekend. This time everyone who hit an ace had paid into the ace pot. I guess people learned their lessons!

Played a round with a friend I hadn't on Sunday, the course was pretty empty and designed for far bigger arms than ours, so we spent most of the day letting better groups play through our terrible twosome, and playing double barefoot rounds (play barefoot while drinking barefoot wine. don't knock it till you tried it) we shot damn near +60 combined but I haven't laughed like that in a long time. It's spring time in Ohio, and you can feel everyone's seasonal depression finally washing away.

It had been in my bag 3-4 years and I had planned to use it on about 15 shots at my 2 tournament courses.

Great thing about disc golf is that it teaching us to adjust. To new discs, new lines ,new throwing techniques and to people we end up on cards with.

Had a good round at Red Mountain North 2.0 in Mesa, Arizona. It's a short, but technical course and "requires" different shots. I carded my second birdie on the course...but still had some bad holes. I'm learning that this is not a "get up and throw" course (like Red Mountain South is)....on the majority of holes you really have to plan the shot or you will probably be in trouble.

I'm still trying to find out which lines/routes work best for me. One issue that keeps coming up as causing me the most problem is rushing my throw....I need to slow it down a bit, but I find it difficult to do. So that's going to be my focus the next time I play.

Still recovering from this weekend's road trip. Had a few good rounds, and finally made it out to Hidden Ridge. :)

...where I just couldn't stay off the trees. Seemingly went from bad lie, to bad lie. As soon as I'd string a couple of good holes together, I'd hop right back on the struggle bus. Felt bad Innocent Crook had to suffer through that. :eek:

He's a great host and I genuinely appreciate his taking time away from his family, to spend the afternoon sharing his hidden gem with me on Easter Sunday. No shortage of tight, well-wooded (but quite fair) lines, draped across wonderfully hilly terrain. Playing a few holes well is one thing. But doing it repeatedly over the course of an entire round would be a true accomplishment. Tons of holes that really make you think about your execution.

Thanks for your hospitality! :)

Last edited:
Got the wife and puppy out for a round this weekend. A touch chilly, but everyone stayed warm. I was doing more practicing than really playing, but it was good to get out. Pooch was well behaved and was a magnet for every player that saw her. Christ, I already married up and have gotten used to Mrs ru4por getting all the attention.....now the dog gets WAY more than me, lol.

A Tier this weekend. We'll see how that goes.

Still recovering from this weekend's road trip. Had a few good rounds, and finally made it out to Hidden Ridge. :)

...where I just couldn't stay off the trees. Seemingly went from bad lie, to bad lie. As soon as I'd string a couple of good holes together, I'd hop right back on the struggle bus. Felt bad Innocent Crook had to suffer through that. :eek:

He's a great host and I genuinely appreciate his taking time away from his family, to spend the afternoon sharing his hidden gem with me on Easter Sunday. No shortage of tight, well-wooded (but quite fair) lines, draped across wonderfully hilly terrain. Playing a few holes well is one thing. But doing it repeatedly over the course of an entire round would be a true accomplishment. Tons of holes that really make you think about your execution.

Thanks for your hospitality! :)

It was an absolute pleasure getting to throw and shoot the bull with you for a few hours. Temps were good, weather was pleasant if a bit breezy, redbuds starting to bloom, overall tough to beat for mid-April.

We definitely put on the exact opposite of a "clinic". When I actually pull off a fairly clean round at Hidden Ridge it feels almost as good as a similar round at Idlewild. They happen about as frequently too, about 1-2 times out of 10 at best for me. I must have already used up my most recent good round, shooting a +3 (64) this past Tuesday night.

Not today, but got a round in with the family on Saturday. Was working on getting strongly on my plant leg just before reaching max backswing. When it worked, I was getting some really nice (for me) throws. Got pin high on a hole that I've never deuced, but was well off line to the right. Gave it a half run and took the easy 3. Got within 15' on a tough (for me) hole that I rarely birdie. Came close to getting a 3 on the uphill, par 4 finishing hole. Nice drive, but then slipped a bit on the second shot. Somehow still got it in circle one, but missed a put I should have made. My little guy took a liking to my lighter pro Wraith, so I had to improvise on a few tee shots where I'd normally throw that disc.

Everybody had fun and we just barely got 9 holes in before off-leash dog time started. Considering all of the distractions and the need to hustle, I was really happy with the way I played.

Holy bejesus! I got out for a round this morning with my brother-in-law for 18 holes. I am so stoked to say that I am really happy with the way my round went. Well, everything but the putts! I even got 2, Count 'Em, 2 birdies! Now, that being said I did shoot +8 for 18 but I think that is not too bad. The drives are getting longer and my mid-range approaches are getting there as well. I will keep working and my game can only improve!

Finally had a league round that didn't suck here in the early going for 2022. Oshtemo. Two inches low for an almost ace on the 213' #8, and I believe a tiny piece of red paint flecked off from the cage where it hit on the brand-new Discraft baskets there. Had my name on the 50/50 ctp for a little flick skip shot that settled a foot away from the pin on #6 (which is even shorter). Threw one in from 150' with my "parachute" Disc, the J.K. Aviar, on #11. Made a 55-footer through trees on #13 with a step putt I had to anyhzer. Didn't miss a putt in the circle. 48 for the final score, not bad for an old fart, and I believe a 52 would normally be about my 920 rating, so that -6 really is about as good as it gets for me. Even beat my little hot shot 6th grader!

Played my first league round in over 2 years (and first competitive round in 8 months) and ended winning! Shot -10, bogey free, my best score on any course ever. So needless to say, I am stoked and looking forward to next week.

Played pretty good today at Deerfield. Shot -8 with just one bogey and was hitting lines well.

That was good for the hot round and got the CTP on one hole as well.

Ratings at this course are often all over the place so this could rate anywhere between 960-100, looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

I played yesterday, but the big news was I treated my first snake bite victim on the course. I caught up to a twosome, where the victim was laying on the ground, and his friend was looking in the bushes to take a photo of the snake. I just thought the friend was looking for a disc, and very odd that someone was laying on the ground. I shouted to play thru and when I passed by the victim wasn't looking very well. That's when he told me of the snake bite, he had kneeled down right on top of the snake. They couldn't tell me anything about the snake, but I had seen several cottonmouths and copperheads the past few years. Within a few minutes the swelling was at least 8-inches across and red on his shin. Got him to sit up, and um advised his friend to get out of the bushes, not wanting two victims. He wouldn't let me put on a tourniquet, and just wanted to go home to "think about it" huh? Told his friend to get the car and take him to the E.R we were about 20 miles from the hospital and tell the ER likely to be the two types of snakes, I was pretty sure copperhead.

How did I play, only a breeze coming off the river on the home course, so I putted very well, and had a few longest drives from the long tees 2nd round where the wind normally slams the disc.

I played yesterday, but the big news was I treated my first snake bite victim on the course. I caught up to a twosome, where the victim was laying on the ground, and his friend was looking in the bushes to take a photo of the snake. I just thought the friend was looking for a disc, and very odd that someone was laying on the ground. I shouted to play thru and when I passed by the victim wasn't looking very well. That's when he told me of the snake bite, he had kneeled down right on top of the snake. They couldn't tell me anything about the snake, but I had seen several cottonmouths and copperheads the past few years. Within a few minutes the swelling was at least 8-inches across and red on his shin. Got him to sit up, and um advised his friend to get out of the bushes, not wanting two victims. He wouldn't let me put on a tourniquet, and just wanted to go home to "think about it" huh? Told his friend to get the car and take him to the E.R we were about 20 miles from the hospital and tell the ER likely to be the two types of snakes, I was pretty sure copperhead.

How did I play, only a breeze coming off the river on the home course, so I putted very well, and had a few longest drives from the long tees 2nd round where the wind normally slams the disc.

Ouch. Had to have been a copperhead. They are lazy and don't want to move. Easy to step on.

Me and the wife got in 2 rounds at Eagle Pines yesterday (Saturday) which we'd only played once before. I really enjoy that course. It's in an old pine plantation in the Almond-Bancroft school forest. Wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but I'm going to get down there more. You need to shape shots, all different kinds to score well. We didn't do great but both improved from round 1 to round 2. Two shots better by me and 5 shots better by Mrs. wolf. Beautiful weather for the first time in a long time.

Played a solo round at my "home" course today in god awful winds for WI. Shot a +2. Not good at all, but I was ok with it in these conditions. Normally drives and putting in 25 mph winds are where it's a crapshoot. They were today too, but holy terrible upshot day :wall:. No matter the score, it's still fun throwing frisbees (poorly) on a day off.

I'll finally be making my way to Hidden Ridge in a few short weeks myself. Can't wait :clap:

I'll try not to make Innocent Crook suffer through what you put him through, but in reality it'll be twice as bad. Me and the wife both riding the bogey train. He might even unlist it after watching us :p