• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spring Break Trip - TN, NC, SC

toadhopper

Approved for a DG trip the last week of March. I live in Cincinnati, so I'd like to go south. Done Nashville, SC midlands, and Asheville. Where should I go (Harmon Hills on the way down seems like a no-brainer)?

Charlotte area?
IDGC?
Raleigh/Chapel Hill?
Upstate SC (I've played Grand Central and Shoally)?
Hop from one spot to the other hitting only the best of the best?

So many choices...give me your thoughts!

How long you got?

You could do a loop---Upstate SC (Pipeline is sweet, Timmons is fun, and there are more), Augusta (IDGC, Langley Pond, & others), Stoney Hill*, Chester State Park, and Charlotte.

* - If you haven't played it as part of the Midlands, and can work out the scheduling.

Or......park yourself in Charlotte and play new courses until your arm falls off.

You can't go wrong with what Dave said, but here are my recommendations based on courses I've actually played.

TN: Harmon Hills, The Claytons.
SC: Langley Pond, Stoney Hill... and you're pretty close to IDGC
NC: (I've only hit Charlotte): Nevin, Renny, Hornet's Nest

If you're anywhere near Atlanta and have time: Hobbs Farm, NGCT

Every single course I listed pretty much knocked my socks off.

My other question goes to how desperate are you to reach warm weather?

Ashe County in the North Carolina mountains is awesome, and there are other excellent courses nearby, but spring will be about a month behind there, compared to the rest of the Carolinas.

If you are going to hit Harmon Hills, Sugar Hollow (I believe that's what it's called) is pretty close. I haven't played it, but it has amazing reviews and one of the guys that traveled with is to USWDGC said it was fantastic. Like DavidSauls said Ashe County, again haven't played, but have heard wonderful things. The course he was referring to that is nearby is Rolling Pines, I have played that and it is fantastic, but I don't know if it's back open, or will be by then. There was some storm damage there late in the summer and I know they closed it down for clean-up. It should be about 2 hours from the Harmon Hills area to those two courses in NC.

Rolling Pines is open per this site, it's on my wish list for my next trip within hours of it.

It's not formally open yet, but yes, there is a new private course in Boone. I've played it once, and fell in love with it immediately. Great elevation, streams, lake, etc. I'm sure it will be very popular very soon. But I'm not posting the name.

It's not formally open yet, but yes, there is a new private course in Boone. I've played it once, and fell in love with it immediately. Great elevation, streams, lake, etc. I'm sure it will be very popular very soon. But I'm not posting the name.

Any ideas if it will be open by the last weekend of March, the OP's vacation? I've seen a few pictures, and a few comments, and I assume he should put it on his itinerary, if it is.

I will add that Grand Central has 5 brand new holes and a sixth somewhat new hole (hole 2 tee to hole 3 long basket) as part of a new layout, so it may be worth stopping there again. The IDGC is also a good move as well, and Aiken County has Langley Pond just across the river, although some of the holes may still be closed when you get out there

Make sure to throw in some fun, easier courses into your trip. As much fun as IDGC, Stoney Hill, Renny, Nevin, Rolling Pines, etc. are, you're not going to be able to move if that's all you play.

Sprinkle in some fun mid-range courses such as Trails (Anderson, SC) Timmons (Greenville), Earlewood (Columbia), Reedy & Elon Eager Beaver (Charlotte) and Wellspring (Burlington, NC). These are all excellent courses that allow you to challenge other parts of your game without killing your arm & shoulder.

Make sure to throw in some fun, easier courses into your trip. As much fun as IDGC, Stoney Hill, Renny, Nevin, Rolling Pines, etc. are, you're not going to be able to move if that's all you play.

Sprinkle in some fun mid-range courses such as Trails (Anderson, SC) Timmons (Greenville), Earlewood (Columbia), Reedy & Elon Eager Beaver (Charlotte) and Wellspring (Burlington, NC). These are all excellent courses that allow you to challenge other parts of your game without killing your arm & shoulder.

Trails is my jam :hfive:

Any ideas if it will be open by the last weekend of March, the OP's vacation? I've seen a few pictures, and a few comments, and I assume he should put it on his itinerary, if it is.

I'll be playing it tomorrow, with the owner, I will ask him his thoughts about a formal opening date. In all likelihood, I strongly believe that a guest would be allowed to visit and play, with a guide being there. I'll report back on Sunday.

Count me in the minority but I found Rolling Pines to be pretty marginal. If it was in Charlotte, I wouldn't play it often, but that's probably more a reflection of how good Charlotte courses are.

If you do end up in Charlotte, Nevin, Hornet's Nest, Renny Gold are all great courses. I'd add in Robert L Smith (RL Smith), as it is really fun to play and will be closed in the near future due to construction.

Well.....we might never make it back from this trip.

Drive from Cincinnati to Kingsport, TN....

Day #1 - Play Harmon Hills and Sugar Hollow. Drive to Boone, NC area.

Day #2 - Play Ashe County and Rolling Pines.

Day #3 - Drive to Charlotte early. Play Hornet's Nest and Nevin. Drive back to Boone.

Day #4 - Hopefully play the new private course in Boone. Drive home.

Count me in the minority but I found Rolling Pines to be pretty marginal. If it was in Charlotte, I wouldn't play it often, but that's probably more a reflection of how good Charlotte courses are.

If you do end up in Charlotte, Nevin, Hornet's Nest, Renny Gold are all great courses. I'd add in Robert L Smith (RL Smith), as it is really fun to play and will be closed in the near future due to construction.

Love RL Smith. Temporarily closed or closed for good?

Latest posts