• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Stable (straight) mid to complement my Roc cycle?

Md3 is buzzzish in the right plastic. The swirly s lines are nearly exactly like what you want.

I was all set to say Comet until you started the ceiling talk.

I know you want a mid, but have you looked at the Axiom Proxy at all? Super stable at any power and no fade to speak of unless you force it. I recently benched mine because it was taking shots away from my Rocs, and I love throwing Rocs too much to find a faster mid setup.

Was also going to say comet....though I don't think the ceiling's that big of an issue. :)

Dx roc3 may work. Soon to be released and the roc3 mold is straighter otb than a Rancho roc so Dx should be a straighter version of this mold, plus it keeps the same feel as your rocs.

San Marino Roc
Really?!?! What plastic do you recommend? I have minimal experience with San Marinos. I feel in love with Ranchos & have pretty much just stuck with them. I never would have guessed that there was that much of a difference between the older Roc variations (Rancho, San Marino, Ontario) besides the change in stability.
Also, I have been in the exact same boat as you for years. Now I use a roc3.
You don't like roc3s?
I guess I just haven't considered it for this role. I have a few, I'm guess I'm gonna have to go out & throw them again. I only have 2x & 3x Champion Roc3s. I haven't thrown one in a long time. Do you guys recommend it in a different plastic? How are the newest runs compared to the older runs, regarding stability?

San Marino Roc

I love me some SM Rocs. Even have some with Pandas on them. They sure are straighter out of the box, but I think they require MORE of a ceiling, not less. I find ranchos to be faster. Not your experience?

Maybe you guys are confusing the San Marinos with Ontario Rocs? Ontario was the wannabe Comet clone supposedly.

Otherwise I say Pure. I get just as much distance from a Pure as I do a Comet and it allows for a lower ceiling.

Roc3 all day. Keep it in the family. Feels the same as your Rocs but can take all the power you can give it. They definitely will go farther that a regular Roc. I don't know what kind of plastic you prefer but my personal favorite is the Star Roc3s. I bag a champ for the stable shots but my Stars get the most work done. I have a 173g Star that's been laser straight since the day I bought it. I usually don't throw lighter mids but this one opened my eyes and now I buy lighter backups every time I find em. I think a few Rocs along with a few Roc3s is a good mix.

The Axis is a beadless roc. If you prefer champ plastic go proton or eclipse. It will feel and fly like a beat roc. I don't think it needs any heavy power to get that flight as someone else mentioned. It will reward good form, but will punish bad form

I guess I just haven't considered it for this role. I have a few, I'm guess I'm gonna have to go out & throw them again. I only have 2x & 3x Champion Roc3s. I haven't thrown one in a long time. Do you guys recommend it in a different plastic? How are the newest runs compared to the older runs, regarding stability?

All regular champs are pretty much the same. Get a little wear in, and it'll fly straight and long.

Roc3 or flat top kc are perfect low line fast rocs. That way you can keep the same hand feel also. I love my ching rocs for this shot, but any flat top or roc3 will work.

Spit balling:

Kaxe Z: That's the more neutral of the Kaxes.
Squall: Very hybrid-ish, might be more stable-understable than you're looking for.
Warship: Really look into this one. It's kind of Roc-shaped and sneaky long.
Cyclone: Barely a driver, beaded like Rocs but ESP clones are OOP now (tragedy)
Gazelle/Cheetah: Same as 'Clone, premium options will be a pain to run down.
Seer: Probably more US than you want, also a very slow driver.
A soft Vibram Ibex/stable FW Driver: Yeah, really soft discs are weird to throw but if you hit a tree they die immediately.
Sabre: Shaped like a slow driver, flies like a midrange. Darkhorse candidate.
Stalker: It's basically a faster Buzzz with a little bead on it, so it's useful for tunnels.

@brotherdave

I'd say your pretty right on with the warship.

Also, I think the mako3 compliments the roc3 really really well.

I agree with the Buzzz buzz. But, it is all relative to you. I used to have to rip Buzzzes to get them to fly. Now, with better form, I actually must power them down and so I use them for tight wooded shots. Thrown hard, I get a nice S. Thrown too light or on a hyzer, I get that left finish. TI Buzzz or Z is what I reach for.

Really?!?! What plastic do you recommend? I have minimal experience with San Marinos. I feel in love with Ranchos & have pretty much just stuck with them. I never would have guessed that there was that much of a difference between the older Roc variations (Rancho, San Marino, Ontario) besides the change in stability.

The only premium plastic San Marinos that I have thrown have been the West Side USDGC ones. I had a champ one for a while that was just perfectly straight out of the box and sounds like it was exactly what you are describing. I have also had an echo star one of those that was just a touch more os but for me I started making a switch to san marinos now when I put in new rocs. You can get cheap Echo Star San Marinos from DGU so that might be something to look into maybe.

Relay from MVP may work as well. It's a speed 6 fairway that's fairly easy to throw. Thrown hard it will give a nice s-turn or a full turnover. Powered down it will give you a straight flight while still giving you some distance

I am amazed I haven't seen any more GM recommendations. Forgot about the sabre, downside is that it needs more ceiling to get a good flight out of than say a gazelle or cheetah.