• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Started FH want to learn BH

DabzMcGee

So I picked up the game about a year ago, I learned the game throwing FH and I have plateued, and being from the great PNW i play a lot of wooded short courses and a FH is NOT optimal for me and I have been desperately trying to learn how to throw backhand. I need some advice or pointers on how to get my BH down. I throw mostly MVP or AXIOM but do throw innova as well. Any time i try to throw anything higher then an 8 I get a BIG HYZER immediately my disc doesnt helix or even flatten out. I can get about 200ft out of a high speed disc but i can BH my ION about 230 ft... and straight haha PLEASE HELP

I am struggling trying to learn BH too but I would suggest ignoring the drivers for now and practice with your ion and mids and focus on form not distance. This is whats helping me more then anything.

yeah thats where i have been for a while.... I have the my putter and my atlas down pretty good.... up to about 250'

I always hear don't worry bout drivers till you are like 300ft with a putter if memory serves Id say 300ft midrange at 300ft would be a good start for getting into leopards and teebirds and the sort. I would stay away from anything faster at that point for a while.

Stick with backhand and learn it. It's way easier to throw discs harder, further, and more accurately backhand than it is to flick them. Plus it's a hell of a lot easier on your arm.

I started sidearm. Had about 300' inaccurate power. Backhand I can now do about 425'. It takes some time to get good at though.

As a primarily FH thrower who has been working to improve at BH:

The biggest realization that I've gone through is that throwing should feel easy if your form is good. I used to try to force backhand throws and it would really hurt my arm...that was just my horrible technique causing problems. Going from slow to fast is counter-intuitive for me, but it's very helpful if you can get it right. I've even incorporated that philosophy into my FH throws now, which are getting back to my previous power (after months of injury recovery) with a much slower and more controlled wind up.

Aside from that general advice, there are a lot of great write-ups and videos in the form analysis/critique forums. Read and watch as much as you can. Every piece of advice won't necessarily work or make sense for every thrower, but it's helpful to have a broad range of exposure. It just takes time and practice to see which concepts will help you the most.