• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

Those things require more than just amazing courses.

Not to say that Charlotte doesn't have the staffing to pull such events off...as has been stated, Am Worlds just last year, Pro Worlds 6 years ago, and the USDGC barely outside the metro area (what, a 25 minute drive?) every year. But perhaps they don't have the interest or desire to pull off that level of event every year.

The hangover and weariness from 2012 Worlds lasted about 4 years. Then we took on 2018 Worlds. Not quite as stressful this time around. We're noodling what biggie is next.

It's a fair question, and one frequently discussed at our Board level. One issue is the amount of added cash/sponsorship required to successfully host majors. Over the last few years we've been concentrating on getting out of a five-figure debt and building our base of events, courses, leagues and members. Now we've finally got a nice five-figure balance in our bank account, the CDGC will host more than 350 events this year (which includes 12 weekly seasonal leagues) and we'll top 500 members.

Our other focus has been on achieving a long-time goal of federally approved, 501(c)(3) non-profit status -- which we did this year. That certification may well put us in position to be more effective at fund raising, which would help our ability to host majors.

But before we go off hosting majors, we've still got some in-house stuff to take care of. We've a goal of growing our now-350-player Charlotte Amateur Championship into the most vibrant amateur tourney on the planet and a true DG destination event. We've also got to redefine The Carolina Clash and broaden its appeal.

Make no mistake, we'd love to have fields of top pros here, and to have our courses shine on video for all to see. But losing money or budgeting to break even just to host pros (as often happens) is not fiscally responsible, and as we've become more financially astute it is clear we need a solid base first.

Sounds to me like you have an excellent club. I'm just curious. I can recall when the Carolina Clash was big time. I'm not sure if it was an NT, but I remember watching DVDs of Renny and other amazing courses in the area. Charlotte just has such great woods courses which we really lack on tour and it would be awesome to watch some Youtube videos of the best players there.

I'm not sure how my post came off, but it was not a shot at any local organizations. I'm a fan, and was curious why we are not seeing Charlotte on the "pro tour" when it has arguably the best concentration of championship wooded courses in the country.

Not saying USDGC "doesn't count". Of course it counts. I thought that was more of an Innova thing. I guess I did not realize the CDGC resources were being poured into that event.

Thanks for this post. Very informative.

Seems like Charlotte has done some A-tiers, and pretty big ones. But they seem to be going for quantity of events over prestige.

One factor with the USDGC being in a suburb is that it's already bringing the top pros to the Charlotte area once every year. There are only so many stops on the elite-level pro tour (Majors/NT/DGPT), and the more-cohesive scheduling of recent years puts those in the Southeast in the autumn....when the USDGC is already here. So another event in Charlotte would have to be fairly close on the calendar, which adds a little bit of difficulty.

But it's a good question. An elite-level event at, say, Nevin/Renny, would be interesting, and it seems that Charlotte has a big enough scene to do it if they want to.

Of course, wanting to is sometimes the missing ingredient in hosting top-level events, anywhere.

It should be apparent by now that great courses and clubs/TDs willing to finance big pro events who either have access to sponsor money or are willing to raise it are not always in the same location at the same time.

If you're cruising on I-10 and pass thru Mobile, AL there are quite a few in that area. I used to call it the DG Mecca of Alabama. They have a Houck-designed course named the Admiral, several decent courses closer to Mobile itself (and a few not so good), and just across Mobile Bay is Daphne AL's little gem of a course. Makes for a decent break on your way to all points east/west along I-10.

OK, I'm curious what are they then according to you?

Not that I would agree there are 5 better. I do find it annoying to drive around the greater Holland/Grand Rapids/Muskegon Triangle of amazing disc golf.

The whole state of michigan is pretty fortunate when it comes to disc golf. Pretty much any city with at least 50k people is near at least one 3.5 star course

I'm not sure how my post came off, but it was not a shot at any local organizations.

Not saying USDGC "doesn't count". Of course it counts. I thought that was more of an Innova thing. I guess I did not realize the CDGC resources were being poured into that event.

The tone of your post was perfectly fine, and spotlit an issue of importance to our members. To clarify your last point, the only resources the CDGC puts into the USDGC are volunteer hours.

Grand Rapids, Portland, Charlotte are all really good(heck of a necro btw but the info is pretty much all new now.

I also feel that even with the loss of Flyboy Atlanta is pretty high. Hobbs Farm is a Star, boundary waters has two fantastic 18s, Etowah is a fun technical play, and we still have Oregon Park, a redesigned Deer Lick, Perkerson, Wills(GAs oldest existing course), East Roswell, Hunter, White Oak is fairly revitalized and Frog Rock that are all at least a 3 and several are 4+.

Moose, you need to get up to Lula.

I will participate in this necro bump as well, but only in regards to the Original post. Please note that this ranking is based on the quality of the courses, and not the vibe of such area. The disc golf scene should honestly be a reflection of both aspects (course quality and vibe), but its rather impossible for a non local to grade the local player personalities and involvement. In addition, my list is comprised of metros that I have played at least 4 quality courses.

1st tier I'd put Augusta GA, Atlanta, Austin TX.
2nd tier I'd put Nashville, Birmingham, Tampa and Orlando.

Metros that I believe the course quality depth hype that i haven't been too but researched heavily. Charlotte, Denver and The Nati.

Of course, wanting to is sometimes the missing ingredient in hosting top-level events, anywhere.

Yep. I would imagine it will be a while after this year before anyone around here "wants to" again. The difference between "running" an A tier and "hosting" a Major is exponential in terms of work involved.

Moose, you need to get up to Lula.

I will participate in this necro bump as well, but only in regards to the Original post. Please note that this ranking is based on the quality of the courses, and not the vibe of such area. The disc golf scene should honestly be a reflection of both aspects (course quality and vibe), but its rather impossible for a non local to grade the local player personalities and involvement. In addition, my list is comprised of metros that I have played at least 4 quality courses.

1st tier I'd put Augusta GA, Atlanta, Austin TX.
2nd tier I'd put Nashville, Birmingham, Tampa and Orlando.

Metros that I believe the course quality depth hype that i haven't been too but researched heavily. Charlotte, Denver and The Nati.

I've been trying! Hopefully next month.

OK, I'm curious what are they then according to you?

Ann Arbor/Milford area, Kalamazoo area, Lansing, Ludington/Shelby...and because I spouted off saying five, I'd say Utica area. (and this doesn't include the Saginaw, Traverse City, and/or Jackson areas, which also are better than GR).

it's always funny seeing your own old posts. when i first posted in this thread i had recently moved to TX and had only played about 20 courses here. now it's over 175 just in TX. at the time i was falling in love with some local courses and seemed to think DFW was in the discussion.

we may have over 70 courses in the metro but i'm tempted retract the suggestion. 7 courses above 4.0 (actually 6 but i'm rounding up Zboaz, 3.98) but all those course are on the fringe, up to 60 miles away from each other. also, the one in the center of the metroplex, Turner Park, is getting closed in the next year. also, two of those courses are the Lester Lorch courses which i and many others would agree are overrated (i think if there were only one course there, Beaver would be 3.5 tops and Coyote 3.75).

however, there are a ton of players, multiple minis daily, tourneys nearly every week. that said, in Texas i'd much rather golf in Austin, even though i would hate to live there.

anyone else fall out of love with their local scene?