• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

mrstiggy

Par Member
As much as I get around I have seen a lot of courses, but I have never seen anything quite like Austin TX. There are 11 4 disc or higher rated courses in the area, and at least 46 courses with in 50 miles of the city center. The Austin DG scene is fantastic. I would recommend it anyone wanting to take a DG Vaca!
What other Metros/States have a huge DG following like this?

Central MA/Northern CT is becoming a hot spot.

I think Jason Southwick of Pyramids/Marshall St. even hinted that he may have another course in (very) early development.

I lived in Atlanta for 7 yrs and then it was ok, nothing like texas. I think land is more difficult to obtain in Atlanta. Since I moved they have added White Oak, Alexander and others so it might have picked up.

by my count:

Austin: 45 courses 2 (4.5) 8 (4) 3 (3.5) 17 (3) 1 (2.5) 6 (2) 5 (<2) 3 (no review)
DFW: 41 courses 2 (4.5) 7 (4) 7 (3.5) 10 (3) 5 (2.5) 7 (2) 3 (1)

pretty close

by my count:

Austin: 45 courses 2 (4.5) 8 (4) 3 (3.5) 17 (3) 1 (2.5) 6 (2) 5 (<2) 3 (no review)

pretty close

Sorry man, I live in the DFW area, and I will take Austin DG over here anytime. Some of our courses I think are over rated and dont even compare to Austin.

I live in Chicago and a lot of the courses are pretty bad here. Sooo many 9ers, going to an 18 hole plus course is a real nice treat for here. So to answer your question, not here lol. I'd imagine Disc Golf courses in California are a blast because of though an hour from the beach, desert, and mountains = awesome.

Sorry man, I live in the DFW area, and I will take Austin DG over here anytime. Some of our courses I think are over rated and dont even compare to Austin.

which ones in your opinion?
of the nine 4+ rated courses in DFW, i've only played four (lake park, harry myers, z-boaz and bear creek). i can see z-boaz and bear creek being called overrated.

i've only played a handful of austin courses and of the ten 4+ courses, only pease and slaughter creek. i didn't think those 2 were any significantly better than DFW courses. the topography is a bit more interesting perhaps.

another thing to consider is whether to even count the wimberley courses since they are not open courses. plus some of the course within distance of austin are actually in san antonio. does that count?

and 21 of austin's courses have <18 holes. only 16 in DFW.

In the southeast us, it would have to be Charlotte, NC. and also Augusta Ga. No, there are not 45 or so courses, but there are still several top caliber courses all within a 30 min or so drive time.
Augusta:
3 courses at IDGC....Warner, Hedrick,Jackson
Riverview
Patriots Park
Pendleton King
Hippodrome
Lk. Olmstead

by my count:

pretty close

In my experience, it takes a lot longer to get places in DFW. Of course, the 45 count for Austin includes some that aren't really in Austin so...

As of February:

25 mile radius
Quality Course = 5 reviews min, 4.00 min

78738, Austin, 34 courses, 7 quality
28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 5 quality
76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 4 quality
97045, Portland, 26 courses, 4 quality
45203, Cincinnati, 28 courses, 3 quality
55313, Minneapolis-ish, 28 courses, 3 quality
50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 quality
80433, Denver, 18 courses, 3 quality
18052, Allentown, 18 courses, 3 quality
46341, N Indiana, 9 courses, 3 quality
54846, Highbridge, 9 courses, 3 quality
15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 7 courses, 3 quality
64129, Kansas City, 17 courses, 2 quality
55408, Minneapolis, 40 courses, 1 quality

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12004&page=11

If the disc golf scene includes not only courses but playing activity, the Twin Cities is hard to beat. Pop in my zip code (55077) and there are 63 courses inside 50 miles with 2 in the top 20. There are nine metro leagues including the largest in the World with the Sundog having up to 180 players per week. The Minnesota Frisbee Association is the oldest statewide organization still coordinating tournaments around the state all year long, even in our sometimes frozen tundra. We have Top 10 player, Cale Leiviska, top 10 tournament, Minnesota Majestic, and the oldest statewide series, Minnesota Summer Tour.

i cant even try and compare with TX, but Lehigh Valley PA is pretty sweet. there are 37 courses within 50 miles of me. including 1. 4&1/2 disc, 6. 4 discers, a whole lot of three and a half and threes and a couple crap-o ones. ive been here 6 months and everywhere i go i meet more and more DGers. now we have a sweet pro shop. i couldnt ask for anything more. except a longer summer mabye.

Bowling Green KY has a great disc golf scene. There are a bunch of courses really close together, including a few that are really nice places to play. Within a reasonable distance, you have one of my absolute favorite courses, Holler in the Hills. The local club seems really active and keeps the courses in great shape and holds lots of events. Cincinnati is another great place to disc golf, with 3 awesome courses (Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge and Mt. Airy) and a bunch of other courses around.

All I know is that there are like 100 courses within a 3 hour drive from me. I can't imagine a better place to be a golfer. That said the elevation in the Texas hill country makes for more interesting layouts then in the flatland's of DFW.

As of February:

25 mile radius
Quality Course = 5 reviews min, 4.00 min

78738, Austin, 34 courses, 7 quality
28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 5 quality
76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 4 quality
97045, Portland, 26 courses, 4 quality
45203, Cincinnati, 28 courses, 3 quality
55313, Minneapolis-ish, 28 courses, 3 quality
50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 quality
80433, Denver, 18 courses, 3 quality
18052, Allentown, 18 courses, 3 quality
46341, N Indiana, 9 courses, 3 quality
54846, Highbridge, 9 courses, 3 quality
15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 7 courses, 3 quality
64129, Kansas City, 17 courses, 2 quality
55408, Minneapolis, 40 courses, 1 quality

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12004&page=11

Bad zip for the twin cities, if you go south or southeast of Minneapolis at all, you'll hit over 30. (36 from Eden Prairie, 37 from South Saint Paul (5 or 6 quality, I forget how many I counted now)

Last edited:
I know this is a disc golf course website, but I find it funny that local scenes are almost always related to large numbers of quality courses.

Small numbers of quality courses and strong club presence should be taken into consideration as well - at least if you're looking at a long term evaluation of metro dg scenes.

If the disc golf scene includes not only courses but playing activity, the Twin Cities is hard to beat. Pop in my zip code (55077) and there are 63 courses inside 50 miles with 2 in the top 20. There are nine metro leagues including the largest in the World with the Sundog having up to 180 players per week. The Minnesota Frisbee Association is the oldest statewide organization still coordinating tournaments around the state all year long, even in our sometimes frozen tundra. We have Top 10 player, Cale Leiviska, top 10 tournament, Minnesota Majestic, and the oldest statewide series, Minnesota Summer Tour.

Chuck Kennedy for the win!

I just moved to the Twin Cities area last fall and lemme tell you, the worst problem I have is deciding what course I'm going to play that day.

My zip 55318 returns 72 hits within 50 miles and 13 4 disc rating or higher.

Last edited: