• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Steve Rico's Putting Style

attik34

Birdie Member
So I've recently moved to a more...like him putting style. And so far I'm feeling good about it. Just trying to get some ideas from people who putt like this as to some focal points during the throw. I'm transitioning from pitch putting because it feels miserably inconsistant in the wind for me :S, and I'm bad enough at putting changing my style wont effect much.

The biggest things I've learned in my 4 days of practice:
1: EXTEND THROUGH THE POLE. This has been the biggest thing for me, as it makes my distance and direction much more consistant.

2: Don't be lazy with my lower body.

Anyways, just looking for pointers or if there are any other good vids of people who put similarly. This is the one I've been going off of.

Thats exactly how I putt. Never actually watched Rico putt before. Thats pretty interesting honestly. I will say practice is key with that hard straight putt. Know that shiz is going in EVERYTIME. And know you can hit that come back if you miss. That being said I dont know of any other videos like this one. Barsby kinda putts like that too I think?

So this is where i got my putting style watched this long time ago and now this style has built a great muscle memory. I just mix this with stradle stance and boom

after seeing Steve's and Eric's putting side by side it really shows that my personal style is a perfect blend of both...
not saying I hit them as good but almost a blend that works for me, Just gotta convince my self to follow through with it it and things should be great! Easier said then done..... :doh:

main thing with my putting is confidence. and constistency. some days im on. some im not. and If I have 100 percent confidence I usually make them

Wow thats a work out!
After getting more legs involved I noticed great things with consistency and ease of making putts but WOW (rh) that right inner thigh.groin muscle was getting a beating. Anyone else notice this? I did just switch from barefoot shoes to bigger Merrell Moab Mids so not sure if the shoes make my body react to different things? Eh

Well they will certainly weigh more than barefoot shoes, so the extra weight could certainly come into play, not to mention changing how your foot interacts w/the ground. I tend to play in either my Vibram Bikilas or Chuck Taylors. Pretty happy w/those options right now

I also putt like Rico. When I miss a lot of putts, 90 % of the time, it's because I don't get my lower body involved enough. With this technique, I find that everything starts with a strong push of the legs. Like Rico in the video, I start low and extends my legs as I throw the disc.

So after watching that EMac video about 50 times...I notice 2 things that i don't get

1. How is he getting that little bit of anhyzer with his release where it is. It makes no sense to me. Also I'm assuming the further out he goes the more anny he puts on it?

2. HOW THE HELL IS HE SO GOOD. #quittingdiscgolfbecauseihavenohope :(

The camera lens on the mccabe video is dumb. It makes it look further than it is. He only takes 11 steps to get to the basket, so it's just outside of the circle I think. Still good, but it looks really far when he is just putting.

Yeah, but it shows him walking on purpose.

Emac powergrips his putts, iirc. Don't know if that has something to do with it.

Yeah, but it shows him walking on purpose.

Emac powergrips his putts, iirc. Don't know if that has something to do with it.

Unless he's changed it up, one of those older DC videos, he says he does use the exact same grip for every shot, but I thought it was a pinch/modified fan.

Those one-grip guys freak me out. I just can't do it, especially putting, which I'm mostly pitch. I go from a 4 finger power grip for wide-rim drivers to a very spread fan for putting.

I tried this yesterday out on the course (Especially the part about generating all the power in your legs) and I was hitting putts I wouldn't normally come close to, and my accuracy and range in general were much improved. :thmbup:

If you are reading this by chance Steve, thanks! :hfive:

What I find incredible about this technique, is that the eye level moves soo much during the putt, and yet, I have never been so precise. I was always under the impression that the less movement the better for things like putting (where precision is key), but in this case, I have been using this technique for a few months and it rocks.

So glad I looked at this post, because Steve Rico putts the same way I do.

You start to feel like you have to putt like Nikko and Ricky, but I just have no luck with the up and down motion, and doing open putts with a straddle. I like Rico's more basic style, and he does pretty darn well.

I'm not a very good putter, because I don't practice enough. But when I do get serious about improving, its nice to know what I'm doing now isn't a broken way to putt.

Unless he's changed it up, one of those older DC videos, he says he does use the exact same grip for every shot, but I thought it was a pinch/modified fan.

Those one-grip guys freak me out. I just can't do it, especially putting, which I'm mostly pitch. I go from a 4 finger power grip for wide-rim drivers to a very spread fan for putting.

I use a Pinch/Fan grip on every single BH shot, including putts. I of course change the grip for FH/Tommys/Scoobys for which I use classic 2 finger power stack.

I'm a 400' thrower, but for the courses I play I tend to average around 340 on my drives. Flat ground measurements of course :)

I'm wondering out loud here...

Is what we see with Rico something we could say was more typical of a "West Coast" style?

Admittedly small sample size, but maybe an argument could be made for cross influence of..

Rico
Doss
Anthon
Crabtree
maybe others?

straight ahead, direct, more likely than others to add a slight anny slide style.

I know some of these guys have some similar style elements, and perhaps likely were influenced by each other, or some by the west coast culture around them.

or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

There is most definitely regional styles in disc golf. You learn by watching those around you.

I look at putting kind of like freethrows in basketball. Its better (and easier) to generate power from your legs, instead of all arm.

Obviously you have to have a good balance of leg power and arm motion.

Latest posts