• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straight shot - 20 foot window - 200 feet - which disc?

Dest

Bogey Member
Often times I feel like just being able to lay up just a perfectly straight 200 foot shot or a very slim hyzer coming back to the original straight line would really improve my scores. I am not very good but I think being able to do this would be a huge confidence boost on a lot of holes where I end up smacking trees and taking a +1.

I could do this for a comet for a while but my release is too inconsistent since I only play once a week if I am lucky.

Any ideas?

ION. Maybe an Axis if it's a low ceiling with some bushes behind the basket to catch a flyby, just in case.

Only playing once a week is tough, I know since I only get to play weekends until the time changes back. I don't think any disc will be magical. You admit your release is off, I think you just need more practice

If you're looking for things to try, a thumber can be a ridiculously straight shot (at least with a 20' fairway it is).

More practice is obviously the only way to acquire this skill. Once you get the execution down though, an understable or neutral putter on a little hyzer is a good play. My beat DX Aviar will flip past flat and finish right on 200'+ shots, and I've got a few KC Pros beaten in to various stages that are more stable/overstable.

Skills definitely are the key. I've used a Kite for the same shot, but I agree with most that a nice stable putter[for me, Ryhno or Dart] would do the trick. It fits the "discing down" ethic too, which is how to fine-tune your skills.

You already said the key thing yourself.
I could do this for a comet for a while but my release is too inconsistent since I only play once a week if I am lucky.
You need to practice more. No disc will make you more consistent and accurate, you need to throw better.

Your comet or a neutralish putter are going to be your best bets for a shot where you want it to go straight without too much fade.

You described hole 8 on our lunch-time course with the exception being a 10' gap instead of 20'. I have a beat pro d zone that I put on a very slight anny for this shot.

Really, a comet is perfect for that shot and it's just a practice issue, which you are already aware of. I'm not sure of your situation, but try and find a field or open area that's on your usual travel route and try and make an extra 30 minutes a few times a week to stop there and just practice with your comet. A little extra practice goes a long way and you'll be even more excited to hit the course every week.

Latest posts