• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

straightest out of the box putter?

Innova Aero. Dead nuts straight, right out of the box. Also the Innova Polecat goes dead straight.

my vote is for magnets, either soft or hard it doesn't matter. my friend swears that wizards are but i think the magnet is a bit straighter.

I have the Voodoo in all plastics. Aviar in all plastics. Rhyno's in all plastics. Now I am starting to think. I just need to stick with one of them and learn to friggin putt instead of trying a new putter every three months!!

Different putters do little to help with getting it in the basket. I feel that putting is 90% form/technique and luck and 10% the disc. Learn to putt well, but stick to one maybe two different molds.

I know hardly anyone likes them, or uses them, but the blowfly is dead straight with little to no fade IF you are a spin putter...their downfall....yes they are floppy and gummy.....and they are not good on wide open/windy field areas, but you want dead straight...that it is. Also it will hold whatever line you put on it as a short approach shot.
My backup to it if it is windy...Omega SS. I also like the R-pro aviar, but this week while on vacation I was practice putting with all my putters, and trying to compare my R-pro vs. Omega ss. On putting it was pretty close, but for approaches, the omega seemed to me as straighter. Also the rim on the omega is not as deep as on the R-pro, which for me feels better, probably because it feels more like my blowflies.
If you ever make it down to SC to play a course Brother Dave, let me know, I'll let you try out any of the putters I have, and see if any feel right for you

... I really like the predictable fade of my SS Warlock but there is this little space around 25'-35' from the basket that I find myself in all the damn time and my putts either die and fade right in front of the basket or I throw them too hard and miss right. I can't hit that sweet spot.

Try this out for that distance: Put your disc on a slight anhyzer line and aim straight at the pole.

I do mean slight. Just give it a tiny anhyzer angle in your release and putt like you alway do. You will notice that it barely (if any) turns right and the holds for about 15 to 20 feet at the flat position before it starts to turn into the chains, but never actually goes right of the chains.

OBVIOUSLY, speed has lots to do with this. But if you stay at the speed you are describing, you will notice that if you throw it a little too hard it will still get chains enough to pull itself in and if you are a little light the ani-line you released will hold it long enough to get it to the chains before it actually turns in front of the chains. Basically this will just slightly increase the sweet spot by making your disc hold the right edge of the pole for just a bit longer than you normally do.

^^^^^^
Amazingly that is EXACTLY what I do. A friend gave me this tip a year or so ago, and have been doing it since. My putting style was more laser than hyzer, and this seemed to give me even more accuracy, especially from longer distances <outside 40'>

my vote is for magnets, either soft or hard it doesn't matter. my friend swears that wizards are but i think the magnet is a bit straighter.

The Magnet will go straight after getting broken, but out of the box, they do fade a tad at the end of the flight. Polecats go dead straight the whole flight.

Best thing to do is learn the fade, IMO. If you like Wizards but are having trouble with longer putts because of the fade, you need to learn that.

Its all about feel with putters. If you got one you like, adjust your technique rather than try another disc. All another disc will do is make you lose that feel you have with the ONE putter that works for you most the time.

I personally love wizards because I feel overstable putters are more consistent than the stable understable or straight putters. i reccomended the magic because it is dead straight and that sounded like what the person was looking for, but one thing I recomend is for people to try out multiple putters and don't be afraid of the overstable putters. WHen thrown a bit harder or on long putts they are dead straight. I switched from aviar to challenger then fell in love with the feel of organic wizards all in this past summer. I have really increased my game this year so consider all types of putters and don't give up on any.

I use an XD and Soft Magnet. I used to so a Soft APX for this, and I will agree with others that say the Magic.

I also can agree with people saying the Skeeter, but if you want it in a putter...I think the RPro Dart is like a floppy pancake straight skeeter for putting.

\/\/

Best thing to do is learn the fade, IMO. If you like Wizards but are having trouble with longer putts because of the fade, you need to learn that.

I've been trying to learn the fade for about 2 years now, lol. I have a lot more confidence within 25' now so I'm trying to go hard at the basket since I'm comfortable with the comebacker. I've just been hitting lots of metal lately, which is good, but I'm ready for some of those to go in. I think height is my biggest issue, being 6'2" I have to putt down a little more than some of you guys and my putters like to climb instead. I know more than anyone that there is no magic putter (except Gateway's) but I think there might be something a tad better for my particular straddle putting style.

Ive used an xd since the begining (15 yrs ago) and havent found anything I like better. Its the oldest disc in my bag.

Ive used an xd since the begining (15 yrs ago) and havent found anything I like better. Its the oldest disc in my bag.

I like something with a thicker rim that is softer for my short putts, currently a soft magnet...but the XD is awesome for approach and longer putts. It's like a buzZz meets an aviar or something.

\/\/

I've been trying to learn the fade for about 2 years now, lol. I have a lot more confidence within 25' now so I'm trying to go hard at the basket since I'm comfortable with the comebacker. I've just been hitting lots of metal lately, which is good, but I'm ready for some of those to go in. I think height is my biggest issue, being 6'2" I have to putt down a little more than some of you guys and my putters like to climb instead. I know more than anyone that there is no magic putter (except Gateway's) but I think there might be something a tad better for my particular straddle putting style.
You shouldn't need to worry about fade from 25' out. A level (not nose up or down) pitch putt aimed to apex a bit above the basket should drop in straight. If you miss it will fade and minimize your comeback putt.

I use a Latitude Spike which is like a more stable XD. It has a pretty hard fade if you throw soft and you end up rolling if you miss.

I have recently learned that if I throw with the same amount of force but add spin it will fly dead straight and land flat.

If you are having trouble with the fade, add spin but not force and watch it go straight.

super soft wizard... on a 125 foot but it may fade 5 feet... or an aviar those babies always fly straight...

Innova Skeeter. I know it is not a putter however from 10 feet to 30 feet it goes where you aim in a straight line if used as a putter.

I know what you're saying here. Just recently getting into the sport, i'm throwing anything I can get my hands on and I really like Innova's discs (and flight rating system) and the Skeeter is an exceptional mid-range disc.

I just ordered one last week, got it in for the weekend and WOW straight as an arrow with a little fade at the end. Speed and Glide rating @ 5 it's a good all-around disc that you could play with all on it's own for short holes. Just point and shoot.

The other discs i'm throwing are the Innova StarSL 167g (awesome driver) and Innova AeroDX (which has recently become more overstable... stupid DX plastics). My Skeeter is also a Star plastic as well which btw, is SUPER awesome. You could hit a tree all day long, scrap asphalt and run a dump truck over it and throw it in a den of lions and it'll still throw true to it's rating. I wish I had purchased my Aero in this Star plastic. Stars are grippy as the Pro and just as durable as the Champion, though the most expensive (around $15 ave) but worth it in the end IMO.

Latest posts