• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Streamline Discs by MVP

The one thing I'm finding interesting is that they're using the Innova flight ratings as opposed to the (IMHO better) flight chart that was developed for MVP/Axiom.

So, um, regular discs? What exactly will the fanbois say makes the discs magical?

Take away the overmold and they still make discs with consistent dome levels and shared cores between discs of the same speed class. That makes it easier to transition from mold to mold compared to throwing molds that share no relation to one another.

I'm wondering how the (eventual) speed 13 discs are going to stack up against the 23mm class from MVP. More/less glide, distance potential, etc. This is a great business move by MVP/Axiom in my opinion. Really reaching out into the world of non-gyro throwers. Kudos to them for this

Take away the overmold and they still make discs with consistent dome levels and shared cores between discs of the same speed class. That makes it easier to transition from mold to mold compared to throwing molds that share no relation to one another.

I only got two mvp discs (actually they are axiom) and the dome is quite different between them. One is completely flat, the other one has a very slight rise to the flight plate that continues to the middle of the disc. They're not the same plastic tho, one is N, the other one is soft N. Perhaps soft plastic molds up with a little bit more dome than normal neutron?

Last edited:
I only got two mvp discs (actually they are axiom) and the dome is quite different between them. One is completely flat, the other one has a very slight rise to the flight plate that continues to the middle of the disc. They're not the same plastic tho, one is N, the other one is soft N. Perhaps soft plastic molds up with a little bit more dome than normal neutron?

I've noticed a very slight difference in my Soft N and regular N Envys. Did not notice a difference with the Proxy or Ion when run in different plastics. I think certain molds show a slight variation, though this might be intentional at times. e.g. the Plasma Volts were intentionally run with more dome than the Protons or Neutrons, and it gives them a flight similar to the first run Volts.

In general the dome is very consistent within a mold. Different molds may show different levels of dome, like my Nitro has dome and my Photon does not, but every Photon I own is flat and every Nitro I own has a little dome.

I own 11 Craves and 5 Quasars. All 11 Craves are dead flat, no dome variation. No two Quasars of mine have the same level of dome. I own about 20 Ions and have held on to 4 Wizards. My favorite driving Ion, I have 10 just like it. Same height, dome, flexibility, grip etc. My favorite driving Wizard, I never found another one like it, whether we're talking plastic grip, flexibility, the actual rim depth (Its more shallow than other Wizards), the shoulder shape etc.

What I'd be curious to see MVP do is release an established mold (Volt, Envy etc.) in the Streamline line-up so we can compare overmold to non-overmold versions of the same disc. I don't think they will do that, don't see any reason for them to, but its something I've always wondered about.

I've been throwing mostly MVP (and Axiom) for almost my entire disc golf career. With the exception of the last year I've bought and thrown every disc they've made. My current bag is still over half MVP. I love the brand and the discs. Here's what I love about them and also what makes me carry non-MVP discs.

1. Gyro Stabilization.

I think the gyro helps stabilize and lock in the disc flight. For me it makes MVP disc really, really easy to throw straight. It's like I buy the disc and the disc does what it was molded to too.

In that same regard that's also a negative. I don't get the same natural high speed turn out of their discs that I get from the Innova ones in my bag.

For me MVP is like driving a car with tight suspension and throwing my Innova stuff feels like it has much looser suspension.

2. Glide.

As a by product of that gyro stabilization I think MVP discs distance are much more dependent upon arm speed and snap whereas other brands can get equal or greater distance with less power but more glide. I love the Catalyst and the Octane but they're not getting my distance than my Star Tern or Blizzard Katanas for my arm speed (my distance is about 320 with my Catalyst vs 350 with the Katana)

So, my long drawn out point is I'm super exited to see single molds from MVP as I think there are differences in the strengths of overmolds vs. singles molds. Now, I can get the benefits of a single mold in a company whose products I love.

I don't understand how MVP *could* do a one-shot version of their existing molds (or do one-shot molds that "share cores" the way their overmolds do). Aren't their existing molds multi-piece to make the rim and the core separately? I would think that in order to make true one-shot molded discs, they would have to make entirely new molds that were designed for that. I'm not super familiar with injection molding, but they couldn't just fill the overmold with, say, Neutron plastic and end up with an all-Neutron disc could they?

I'm not really solo brand fanboy, but MVP and Westside are the brands that I tend to gel with for different reasons. And if this allows MVP to make a disc that can truely replace my glidey but still OS bomber Kings, they may take over my bag.

It could well come down to their timeline on that disc vs. Westside making a Firebird/Motion type driver.

These will be all new molds with no seam. MVP can make unweighted rims for current molds (150 class plasma have plasma rims but obviously still 2 different parts.)

They could easily take the design of current mold and make a single mold. Id be curious if they plan to run any basically identical models to test some gyro vs not.

These will be all new molds with no seam. MVP can make unweighted rims for current molds (150 class plasma have plasma rims but obviously still 2 different parts.)

They could easily take the design of current mold and make a single mold. Id be curious if they plan to run any basically identical models to test some gyro vs not.

If the discs fly identical then it would be pretty bad for their marketing in regards to GYRO tho. Not sure how smart that would be. On the other hand, if the discs flew differently it would validate their marketing

StreamlineDiscs.com said:
Unique Solo-Mold Designs

Streamline model designs will be unique to Streamline and optimized for a solo-mold construction. The inherent physics of a solo-mold are different than a GYRO™-enhanced disc, and Streamline models are designed and built to be the best of their kind. Throwers who prefer this kind of disc will love them, and to help familiarize the public with Streamline models, we will use the common 4-part flight numbers.

This is a bit like the Apple watch. Let's put out crap and see exactly how far our brand equity will carry. If these fancy new discs (which are exactly like the ones Innova has put out for 40 years) sell, MVP can rest assured that they have an enduring brand presence.

They had me at consistency.

If the plastics are good (neutron is not my fav for grip, I dont have much exp. otherwise), the rims are good, and they deliver on consistency then I'll definitely bag Streamline discs.

I dont throw much from the Gyro brands, but I like discs that have a lot of weight in the rim for certain roles because it helps me control the turn with spin. For hyzerflips or holding anhyzers it's great.

It they do, ion first, please. Electron ion is basically a wizard. With a single mold it's going to really be a wizard.

I haven't had as much personal experience with MVP's much lauded consistency. Then again, I seem to have stumbled into all of their (seemingly few) problem runs (i.e. sparkle Craves, FR Volts, FR Shocks, etc.). Most of the fans on here seem to love the flight consistency though (even when they are complaining about Neutron plastic inconsistency). I have liked the plastic in the Neutron discs that I have owned though, and I am hopeful that there will be some great new molds to try out in this new brand.

Also, I don't think the Apple Watch comparison is fair at all. Smartwatches have never been a great seller no matter WHO makes them. Apple was getting into a tiny niche market with a product they hoped would enlarge the market (which it has although not to the extend they hoped I'm sure). The one-shot injection molded discs market is large (compared to MVP's current niche), so this is more like them going more mainstream.

I have found that if I want to throw a MVP/Axiom disc I have to go about 7-10 grams lighter to get the disc to actually fly semi-decently. If these are as consistent as they say they will I will definitely give them a try but I will definitely need a PD, Destroyer, and TeeBird like disc before I'm willing to convert.

This is a bit like the Apple watch. Let's put out crap and see exactly how far our brand equity will carry. If these fancy new discs (which are exactly like the ones Innova has put out for 40 years) sell, MVP can rest assured that they have an enduring brand presence.

So no brand other than Innova should make discs? And their discs are crap too other than the Atlas and Nova?

If the discs fly identical then it would be pretty bad for their marketing in regards to GYRO tho. Not sure how smart that would be. On the other hand, if the discs flew differently it would validate their marketing

My thoughts exactly.

:popcorn:

All things being equal, I would think that single piece versions of current gyro molds would tend to exhibit more turn and probably less fade... and generally need more room to work. That could be good or bad, depending on the desired line/shot.

Last edited:
edited for dbl post

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly...

:popcorn:
I'm thinking these are going to follow a more traditional route than MVP/Axiom. The jump from 20mm to 21.5mm to 23mm really goes from speed 10 to 11.5 to 13, whereas the first distance driver mentioned is a true 21mm speed 11 for Streamline.
I'm already set with MVP except for max D and putting putters, haven't been sold on any of those duties yet. Maybe Streamline will fill the two bookends for me, even though I just ordered two new octanes :(
I'm also curious to see how the durability of these compares to the MVP/Axiom counterparts.

Latest posts