• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Surviving the 'Chuckers' Stereotype

I'd say 99% of the trash I pick up is from DB DGers.. sucks, but it's true, I can't blame road trash, pedestrian trash, wind trash or anything else on the cheap malt liquor cans, beer cans, small shooter liquor bottles etc. and just general trash I pick up. There is no major road near most the courses, and I've watched enough kids finish their drink and setting it by the teepad, and walking off. Right next to a trash can too. Sad but true... I've actually picked up a "big gulp" cup that still had ice in it from the group in front of me..

I was stretching on hole 1 and planned on just practicing drives and putts before actually playing. I watched two kids walk up drinking who knows what (I know it was messy lol). I tell them I'm waiting to play and they can play through. I watch them each set their drinks down on the picnic table and drive. They walk away and I say "yall forgot your drinks" to which they respond "its cool, we're done anyways" and keep walking. So I wait til they're out of sight, grab each drink, walk up to the open window and chuck both of em in. They made a helluva mess, looked kinda neat :). I didn't see hem when I finished my round either... did I do something wrong? Lol

I was stretching on hole 1 and planned on just practicing drives and putts before actually playing. I watched two kids walk up drinking who knows what (I know it was messy lol). I tell them I'm waiting to play and they can play through. I watch them each set their drinks down on the picnic table and drive. They walk away and I say "yall forgot your drinks" to which they respond "its cool, we're done anyways" and keep walking. So I wait til they're out of sight, grab each drink, walk up to the open window and chuck both of em in. They made a helluva mess, looked kinda neat :). I didn't see hem when I finished my round either... did I do something wrong? Lol

LOL nice man. I hate that..especially when the garbage can is 5 feet away. Walk up to tee once and theres 3 or 4 drinks on the bench when the garbage can was literally 3 FEET away...

Hopefully you meant the open window of their car. :thmbup:

:hfive: Nice work.

What I've noticed about trash on a course is the following. First,if the trash can is a 55 gallon drum,with no lid, little woodland animals and the wind will be a factor of trash outside the trash can. Second,if there are no trash cans,on or near the course, but a road is near, a great majority of the trash comes from people throwing their trash out of the car. Third, if no road by the park, but there are houses the day after trash pick up is the worst day for trash flying around. I believe because people DON'T actually Put extra trash into the trash BAGS that are in the trash CANS. Just my .02 you CAN tell when a DG'er left trash, it's usually between the tee and pole hole. And also only water bottles, sport drinks,and yes, beer cans. I've never seen a DG'er eat Fast food while playing. So, out of ALL the trash I pick-up I'd say 1/4 to 1/3 of it comes from DB DG'ers. IMHO

I know that 'outside' sources do contribute trash, but on my home course not a single one of these outside sources exists. In fact, the only other park users are mountain bikers, and they are definitely not stopping for a drink or a smoke, and leaving the litter behind (often next to a garbage can as has been pointed out).

A more recent problem occurred when a group of idiotic chuckers came through and decided to smash bottles on anything they could. They even went as far as digging in thetrash cans for more bottles and breaking them. I am positive because some of the bottles were beers I left in the cans a few weeks ago - beers NOT available locally - within 1000 miles! So, now I have to increase trash collection on my part so these worthless and useless chucker morons have less fuel for their fires. I have to increase collection on the course because the county doesn't do it and I don't want my dog, or anyone I know or don't know to cut themselves on broken glass all over the tees or pins.

What makes me sick is the typical societal downfall that these actions create. Think about it, since 9/11 we've instituted all kinds of airline security among other things. We're trying to stop criminals who behave on uncomventional ways, by using conventional techniques. It's a waste of time, effort, and money. It's a parasitic society. It impacts everyone at a most basic level. It impacts me personally in picking up chucker trash on my own time (I'd sure like to enjoy a round and not lug a bag around with me for trash, or forgo a round all together because I have to unload barrels full of trash in these remote areas, an effort that takes over an hour). I can't stop the chuckers, that I've come to realize, I just want to decrease the probability of chucker damage to small things, not major damage and not major efforts of my time to fix, clean up, or replace!

To add to the 'impact on my life' aspect of all this - the county here does not recycle. I therefore take everyone's nasty trash, stick the leaking bags in my truck, take them to my house, and leave them in my garage until recycle day pickup. So, I've begun getting trash on Tuesdays, the day before pickup to minimize the stench of other people in my garage. (Don't I sound like the agent from the Matrix when he's talking to Neo about human parasites? :( )

I know that 'outside' sources do contribute trash, but on my home course not a single one of these outside sources exists. In fact, the only other park users are mountain bikers, and they are definitely not stopping for a drink or a smoke, and leaving the litter behind (often next to a garbage can as has been pointed out).

A more recent problem occurred when a group of idiotic chuckers came through and decided to smash bottles on anything they could. They even went as far as digging in thetrash cans for more bottles and breaking them. I am positive because some of the bottles were beers I left in the cans a few weeks ago - beers NOT available locally - within 1000 miles! So, now I have to increase trash collection on my part so these worthless and useless chucker morons have less fuel for their fires. I have to increase collection on the course because the county doesn't do it and I don't want my dog, or anyone I know or don't know to cut themselves on broken glass all over the tees or pins.

What makes me sick is the typical societal downfall that these actions create. Think about it, since 9/11 we've instituted all kinds of airline security among other things. We're trying to stop criminals who behave on uncomventional ways, by using conventional techniques. It's a waste of time, effort, and money. It's a parasitic society. It impacts everyone at a most basic level. It impacts me personally in picking up chucker trash on my own time (I'd sure like to enjoy a round and not lug a bag around with me for trash, or forgo a round all together because I have to unload barrels full of trash in these remote areas, an effort that takes over an hour). I can't stop the chuckers, that I've come to realize, I just want to decrease the probability of chucker damage to small things, not major damage and not major efforts of my time to fix, clean up, or replace!

To add to the 'impact on my life' aspect of all this - the county here does not recycle. I therefore take everyone's nasty trash, stick the leaking bags in my truck, take them to my house, and leave them in my garage until recycle day pickup. So, I've begun getting trash on Tuesdays, the day before pickup to minimize the stench of other people in my garage. (Don't I sound like the agent from the Matrix when he's talking to Neo about human parasites? :( )

"9/11 caused white trash hicks to break bottles on my local disc golf course"

I like to watch kittens bat around balls of yarn. It is neat and makes the corners of my mouth curl up into a semi-grimace also known to some as a smile. Puppies are neat too.

In other words, you are FOR good disc golf ETIQUETTE or you are NOT...if you are NOT, please go away until you devolve into a Violin playing mantis eater and then come back or DON'T RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US BY ASSUMING THE COURSE IS YOUR BACKYARD TO DO WITH AS YOU PLEASE...

Thank you. This statement brought to you by the reasoning centers of my brain...

...more along the lines of

"Idiotic actions of a few impact others and cause them to have to react. Rules are put in place to try and stop the idiotic actions, but idiots don't follow the rules, so the rules are useless. We're stuck contantly reacting to worthless and useless idiots."

I like to watch kittens bat around balls of yarn. It is neat and makes the corners of my mouth curl up into a semi-grimace also known to some as a smile. Puppies are neat too.

In other words, you are FOR good disc golf ETIQUETTE or you are NOT...if you are NOT, please go away until you devolve into a Violin playing mantis eater and then come back or DON'T RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US BY ASSUMING THE COURSE IS YOUR BACKYARD TO DO WITH AS YOU PLEASE...

Thank you. This statement brought to you by the reasoning centers of my brain...

This has nothing to do with ETIQUETTE and everything to do with RESPECT

This has nothing to do with ETIQUETTE and everything to do with RESPECT
Um...Respect begets ETIQUETTE...

Etiquette begets Protocol and Protocol begets rules.

So...is this someone who is a REBEL doing this? Most likely because polite, conservation conscious individuals will put TRASH in their BAG until the end of the round and then deposit in the receptacle that fits the situation.

Last edited:
The problem we have at the course I call home isn't the chuckers, but the high-ons that come and smoke, eat and blast music at a few of the picnic tables around the course. After this last Friday, they left so much trash around the set of double tables that it didn't all fit in the 55 gallon barrel used as a trash can at that spot. Pizza boxes, drink bottles... And there's always broken glass everywhere around the course from people drinking out there too.

I don't care what you do, play or not play, drink or smoke. Don't leave trash all over, don't smash glass bottles, and quit marking up the place with paint and knives.:thmbdown:

The worst I've seen of people that actually play there is complete lack of consideration for those playing in front of them. A bit less annoying, those that don't announce 'clear' when done with a hole even after they stood there and talked to you before throwing.:wall:

I will truthfully admit that at one time I used to drop my cigarette butts on the course. Then one day when I was out playing I decided to count (not actually but estimate) how many butts I saw on the ground while I was playing...the number was amazing....so I decided that I would no longer drop my butts and if I played with other disc golfers who smoked I would encourage them not to drop their butts on the ground too...I mean seriously...how long does it take to twist the end of the butt to knock out the cherry...put it in your pocket or bag and empty said pockets/bag after the round... same goes for beer cans and gatorade bottles, etc....there is a place for that trash and it's not in tree stumps or in the bushes, or by the tee boxes.....there are garbage cans on the course....put your trash away....and to those vandals who are breaking bottles, breaking tee signs, tearing down baskets...who are you rebelling against...the disc golfers who work hard to build the course, the people who try to keep the courses in good shape so that people can enjoy them for years to come....go sit down with your parents and talk about your feelings....don't take it out on the courses....you only look like a childish, disrespectful db and one of these days you will get caught in the act...and I bet you won't like what happens next...

Latest posts