• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Technical standards and sustainability

Eye vs. neck. Two very different parts of the body. Even the eye is very resitant. But break a neck? No way.

Super dangerous dg course design is of course super dangerous and stupid regardless if the result will be a bruise, welt, some shedded blood and not a death. Yet even further, it is always the throwers responsibility. I know a few courses where it says putters/midranges only, but of course you cant force stupid people.

I could totally be off base, but you dont think a Boss at 65mph that hits a say, 3 year old, directly at the base of his spine is gnna kill him? Or maybe a 90 year old senior?

People die literally just falling over.

A disc to the head can definitely kill you.

When I got hit by Gurthie (and explained how far/hard he throws) the doctor said I was lucky to walk away.

I'm a full grown adult, who can take a blow to the head, now imagine a child or senior citizen gets hit.

I know a story of a poorly designed course where a runner was wearing headphones and didn't hear the people yelling "fore" the disc hit his ankle and broke it, he passed out while running from the pain, he was around 50 years old

"People run over people at a fairly high rate in this country. Seventy-one people have died in downtown Houston from trying to walk over cars this year alone. No one says, "Fords are dangerous!" They are, but the problem is the yokel behind the wheel, and dare I say it, proper regulations and signage that make it clear where to walk and drive."

Also, imagine ball golf being played in multi-use muni parks. I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the past that they were very close to that arrangement.

I really think we are moving away from this as the sport evolves. Or like that is where you dg not walk and run kind of thing.

In my opinion discs need to be sharper faster and longer if the sport wants to be in the mainstream. The talk of making a disc even more aerodynamically inferior is like the logic of the quote above. Think about it!

Are auto manufacturers really pumping in money for R and D on softer Bumpers so less pedestrians are killed?!?!

A disc to the head can definitely kill you.

When I got hit by Gurthie (and explained how far/hard he throws) the doctor said I was lucky to walk away.

I'm a full grown adult, who can take a blow to the head, now imagine a child or senior citizen gets hit.

Details please.

Quote Adam from Mythbusters: "I refuse to accept your reality (where 175g plastic objects kill people) and supplant my own". Lets just agree to disagree then.

I know people sling discs at a radar a few meters awat at 100+ kmh but I am fairly sure the speed drops drastically when the disc starts to glide. Not saying it will not hurt or cause damage but death... not buying it.

...Are auto manufacturers really pumping in money for R and D on softer Bumpers so less pedestrians are killed?!?!

Actually, yes. One thing they found was that it was often the secondary impact (bring slammed onto the pavement) that caused the most injuries. So, they've developed bumpers that are not only soft, but sticky so pedestrians don't bounce off.

Tangential Question

Can a blunt lightweight disc, say a 150 DX Aviar, damage a car from 150' - 200' when thrown by a complete noodle arm? I get ~200' from said Aviar in the open field with 90% control and I am tempted to try a little (sub)urban DG to compliment my other regular practice.

Problem is, if I get a gust of wind and carry even a little further than intended, I could easily pop a car, though I expect the disc would be going maybe 5-10 mph at that point.

Thoughts? Comments?

yeah, it can definitely "damage" a car, depending on the owner's perspective. My cars would probably forgive you, though.....

yeah, it can definitely "damage" a car, depending on the owner's perspective. My cars would probably forgive you, though.....

Yeah my '91 Jeep YJ, soft top, soft doors with 300,000 miles on it would be a safe mistake. How about my wife's newer Impala? Door ding type dents are OK, but busting out a window or popping out a plastic quarter panel, no matter how unlikely, isn't an option. I always, well mostly, throw towards our property.

I saw someone hit a nice BMW with a Star Cro flying past the pin on a hole thats about 300 feet (i.e. the disc had significant speed on it when it hit). We could not even find the spot where it hit. I think it would take a perpendicular hit from very short range and with a full power driver shot to dent a car. 175 grams of plastic vs. metal is not much of a fight. Whereas a window... again, never going to happen.

Having said that, never play in an area where you are likely to hit people, cars or other property. Out of courtesy. We have plaid our fair share of urban DG but we know our business and know whow to choose the holes and to spot etc.

Actually, yes. One thing they found was that it was often the secondary impact (bring slammed onto the pavement) that caused the most injuries. So, they've developed bumpers that are not only soft, but sticky so pedestrians don't bounce off.

Now I can't shake the image of a car driving down the read with three or four people tuck to its bumper.

"Agnes, I can't see, would you pull that pedestrian off the hood for me?"

Wow... another one. The case from Manhattan Beach a couple of years ago was bad. That course design was god awful and it was only a matter of time before someone got seriously hurt.
With a second case,now, this is becoming a much more serious problem. I know there were a couple of incidents at Huntingon Beach over the last five years that prompted a redesign of the hole.

Can a blunt lightweight disc, say a 150 DX Aviar, damage a car from 150' - 200' when thrown by a complete noodle arm? I get ~200' from said Aviar in the open field with 90% control and I am tempted to try a little (sub)urban DG to compliment my other regular practice.

Problem is, if I get a gust of wind and carry even a little further than intended, I could easily pop a car, though I expect the disc would be going maybe 5-10 mph at that point.

Thoughts? Comments?
Probably just fine..

I drilled the side of car @ 20sec w/heavy driver. As long as the disc is slowing down its fine.

That being said ive sliced a tree branch off cleanly from the tee so easily can cause damage given the speed.

I was hit in the temple by a groove thrown full force from about 90'. No damage other than a headache for about an hour. But I could see it causing a Serious problem for someone who's ready to sue at the drop of a hat. Best policy is don't be a douche and let people know that you're throwing their way and it'll only take a few minutes until you're done. Most non-dg'ers are happy to oblige and actually enjoy watching us throw.

Latest posts