• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Technique Advice for High BMI

One of the best things one can do to prevent joint injuries (back, hips, knees and ankles) is to keep one's weight right. And to do that one has to eat right. Following are some basic food guidelines and a site that makes it pretty easy to track. (The data base they use is pretty extensive so one doesn't need to do a lot of research.) You'd be surprised at how many people don't get enough protein in their diets. To ensure that I get enough protein I snack a lot on good beef jerky. (The packaged gas station stuff is usually crap. I get mine at a local butcher shop.) And a good diet doesn't mean no fast food. Just log it and adjust accordingly. HTH Good luck.

Calories = 2500 Max
Carbohydrates = 250g or 40 %
Fat = 69g or 25 %
Protein = 219g or 35 %

Search - My fitness pal

Last edited:
It truly baffles me how quick people are to just state "lose weight"

In regards to your question. a backhand motion for most people is a more natural motion for your body and less likely to cause injury. It was explained to my by physician, who is a disc golfer, that it's akin to baseball vs softball pitching. Softball windmill is a much more natural motion and why women can pitch every day. Disc is the same way with bh vs fh. Take that as you will, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Keys to not getting hurt are numerous and at times unavoidable injuries happen.
I am far bigger than you, 6' 340 lbs. I have been a disc golfer as heavy as 400 and as low as 255. I am finding my biggest issues are fatigue related. I dont always warm up as I should as I am concerned about getting tired as I am overweight, so I compromise with less warm up. That is bad. My biggest concerns are not arm related, and I throw all three shots, overhand, fh,bh.

Short of it is, keep playing, drink tons of water and enjoy. Disc is anywhere from 1-6 miles depending on the course and number of rounds, its a great way to get activity in.