• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird-L (TL)

can anyone give me a comparison between the champ tl & champ leopard?

depends on wear (obviously...)

but.

to me the TL was the upgrade to the Champ Leopard; it was what i wanted out of the leopard, and could only get when it was new. For me (my game and how i used the leopard), the TL was *almost* everything the Leopard represented, but it also opened up a lot more opportunities.

A little bit longer, very similar control, throwing method and overall concept, but much "straighter" and longer. It was my first serious foray into "straight" non-fade discs.

While the leopard and TL have different uses, the two overlap enough that (for me) there was no purpose to keep the leopard.

Love the Star TL, I carry two. One is slightly beat and gives me straight lines with a touch of fade at the finish. The newer is versitile enough to be a straight shooter to a nice hyzer line. My first ace was with a TL.

I have a Star TL, which I really can't live without, honestly! The OP alluded to a Pro TL, do they make such a thing? I would imagine it would be a little bit more flippy then a beat Star TL.

I know I'm responding to a very old post, but I saw some Pro TLs at the Innova Proshop today, I think in the Out Of Production area.

Was a fan of the TL, now I'm a bigger fan of the TL3! Bought one last fall to use in the cold weather and it hasn't left my bag all year!

Was a fan of the TL, now I'm a bigger fan of the TL3! Bought one last fall to use in the cold weather and it hasn't left my bag all year!

What are the similarities and differences between the TL and TL3, and by that I mean your experiences with them? TIA

What are the similarities and differences between the TL and TL3, and by that I mean your experiences with them? TIA

For me, the TL3 flies like a longer seasoned Gazelle, a very workable fairway driver. It powers down better than a champ TL and is more predictable for distance than my S-FD, especially on an annie line.

I've owned two champ TL's, one was a meat-hook and flew just like a champ Teebird and the other was fine, just didn't power down well, take a little off of it and it fades too much. Never thrown a star TL, so I can't comment on them.

My main fairways are a Star Eagle "X" and the TL3, with these two I can pretty much cover all of my fairway needs. If I were to go minimalist, I would just use my star Teebird, but I like the options of the two.

For reference, I use the TL3 for shots in the 290-330ft range. It also works well for powered down forehand shots and it's my main disc to throw from a standstill.

For me, the TL3 flies like a longer seasoned Gazelle, a very workable fairway driver. It powers down better than a champ TL and is more predictable for distance than my S-FD, especially on an annie line.

I've owned two champ TL's, one was a meat-hook and flew just like a champ Teebird and the other was fine, just didn't power down well, take a little off of it and it fades too much. Never thrown a star TL, so I can't comment on them.

My main fairways are a Star Eagle "X" and the TL3, with these two I can pretty much cover all of my fairway needs. If I were to go minimalist, I would just use my star Teebird, but I like the options of the two.

For reference, I use the TL3 for shots in the 290-330ft range. It also works well for powered down forehand shots and it's my main disc to throw from a standstill.

Thanks for the info. Someone I play DG with got a TL3, and it seems to have less glide than my TL. I've got 4 Star TLs and one Champ TL, and fresh out of the box they're awesome for helix shots in the woods. One of my Star TLs is getting worn in, so it flies straighter with less end fade.

Glide is something I don't really want in my fairways.

Gonna have to try a Star TL someday. Have only come across Champion's.

Last edited:
Glide is something I don't really want in my fairways.

Gonna have to try a Star TL someday. Have only come across Champion's.

My TL does not glide all that much, certainly not nearly as much as my River. The TL comes out of my hand fast and zips along to the target.

IMHO you'll like the Star TL. I personally prefer Star plastic to anything else (Lat 64 Gold Line is right there with it), and the TL does very well in Star plastic.

My TL does not glide all that much, certainly not nearly as much as my River. The TL comes out of my hand fast and zips along to the target.

IMHO you'll like the Star TL. I personally prefer Star plastic to anything else (Lat 64 Gold Line is right there with it), and the TL does very well in Star plastic.

Agree 100% until I lost my TL, I bagged both a TL and a River. My River was the workhorse of the two, but when I wanted to throw something faster and laser straight in the woods, the TL got the nod. Also if I wanted to get through some light winds as the River is very much influenced by the wind.

How is the champ TL compared to the C-FD in stability and distance? I have briefly thrown a few champ TL's and for me I can throw them very hard and basically flat, they will slightly ride right and then drift back to centre or have a mellow fade for around 350 (I would say -1/1.5, whereas a champ Teebird is 0/2 to 2.5). I have thrown an S-FD a bit and it is far less stable than the TL's I have tried.

River has been mentioned, and I find them extremely touchy. They either have to be finessed and then glide like crazy, or if anything is wrong they go right or act weird. But if I somehow throw it perfectly they get insane distance for me (375 up to nearly 400 for a fairway) on a tight line, but that is not often, and not a shot I would ever consider using or trusting it for.

How is the champ TL compared to the C-FD in stability and distance? I have briefly thrown a few champ TL's and for me I can throw them very hard and basically flat, they will slightly ride right and then drift back to centre or have a mellow fade for around 350 (I would say -1/1.5, whereas a champ Teebird is 0/2 to 2.5). I have thrown an S-FD a bit and it is far less stable than the TL's I have tried.

River has been mentioned, and I find them extremely touchy. They either have to be finessed and then glide like crazy, or if anything is wrong they go right or act weird. But if I somehow throw it perfectly they get insane distance for me (375 up to nearly 400 for a fairway) on a tight line, but that is not often, and not a shot I would ever consider using or trusting it for.

Rivers for me are only used in no wind where I need something straight, usually down hill for distance. Theyre glide machines, yes. I dont reach for them much but I like throwing them when conditions are right.

In terms of FDs, I cant speak to the S line, but the C line would depend on what run you're talking about. The second run of FDs for instance, have (I think?) bubbles in the rim and quite OS. Nothing like a TL what so ever. I think the fifth (current?) runs of FDs are true to their ratings and would probably more TLish

Rivers for me are only used in no wind where I need something straight, usually down hill for distance. Theyre glide machines, yes. I dont reach for them much but I like throwing them when conditions are right.

I throw the River on uphill shots to take advantage of the glide, and on throws through the woods when I want a nice helix shot. When I want distance or more wind-fighting, I go for the TL. When it's "either-or" in the bag, such as during a three-disc round, I'll choose the TL over the River, though reluctantly.

I throw the River on uphill shots to take advantage of the glide, and on throws through the woods when I want a nice helix shot. When I want distance or more wind-fighting, I go for the TL. When it's "either-or" in the bag, such as during a three-disc round, I'll choose the TL over the River, though reluctantly.

Yea those uphill shots make sense. I dont have these shots at my course. The only uphill shots are up and too the left in which case I chuck a PD. Other than that its mid ranges or putters up hill on short approach shots.

I have never thrown a TL before, but I got a champ glow in a prize pack from a tourney last year. I just put it in the bag a few days ago and am hoping it will fill the gap in my fairway lineup. From what I have read it is exactly what I am looking for. Looks like I will find out this weekend.