• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terms from Golf that Maybe Shouldn't Be?

Maybe i missed it....

If "stroke" is so taboo... what's the term for distinguishing "stroke play" ???

Match play is still match play.

Maybe even "dolf" (not "frolf") or "discolf" or something else entirely, like "Discs and Chains" or something. Those are all terrible ideas, btw. :) But maybe something other than "disc golf." Too late now. :)

You can't take credit for "dolf" my friend...

I like this thread. There is good discussion going on. I played "golf" in college and use "golf" terminology on the "disc golf" course all the time. The non "golfers" at my home "disc golf" course love the saying: "pin high."

At first these non "golfers" thought "pin high" meant when a disc flew by the basket at the correct height. After five or six rounds they realized when I said "pin high" my or their disc was thrown the correct distance on a horizontal line with the basket (from the throwers perspective).

I think fore shouldn't be changed. Non disc golfers recognize this and that is important when bobbing and weaving. We actually had a rule that bob(bottom of box) had to do a combat roll anytime someone yelled fore. Even if they said it or if we heard it from the other side of the course. Pretty funny and great incentive to play better.

Imagine if we changed fore to "three!!!!" no one would understand and people would get hurt.

At first these non "golfers" thought "pin high" meant when a disc flew by the basket at the correct height. After five or six rounds they realized when I said "pin high" my or their disc was thrown the correct distance on a horizontal line with the basket (from the throwers perspective).

we use the term "pin deep" seems to work well. Use it on ball golf courses as well.

Well now that we've beaten this dead horse to death, let's look at some DG terms that would (or would not) apply to bolf.

Like for instance, "roller". Well yeah, most bolf putts would qualify, no?

How about DROT? Can you have a bolf ball "stick" halfway into the hole, suspended by contact with the pin, and have it not count?

I think fore shouldn't be changed. Non disc golfers recognize this and that is important when bobbing and weaving. We actually had a rule that bob(bottom of box) had to do a combat roll anytime someone yelled fore. Even if they said it or if we heard it from the other side of the course. Pretty funny and great incentive to play better.

Imagine if we changed fore to "three!!!!" no one would understand and people would get hurt.

I always yell DISC! but that is a leftover from my years of dodging discus on the triple jump runway. People do seem to react to FORE! better.

Like for instance, "roller". Well yeah, most bolf putts would qualify, no?

"Roller" isn't used in golf, but if it were, it'd probably be a thin or a topped shot that didn't get in the air. "Wormburner" seems to be used in both sports.

How about DROT? Can you have a bolf ball "stick" halfway into the hole, suspended by contact with the pin, and have it not count?

It counts. And you're allowed to wiggle the pin and the ball can fall in. The ball just has to be at rest below the top edge of the hole.