• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Why don't you throw forehands more often? You have a ~400ft forehand on a rope, but don't seem to use it as much as Ricky and other top pros do. If you have a high enough ceiling, I assume you prefer and can control the tail end of your backhand better.

i just trust my back hand more. I throw it a fair amount, but i'm only just getting confident in throwing less stable and faster discs with it. Plus i'm not 20 anymore, if i throw the side arm wrong it hurts!

Wow , thought I was the only Comet thrower !

Just started playing League with the big dogs this summer , and whenever I throw my pink Comet , the peanut gallery opens ! ' Man , that thing goes straight ! '

Just love that disc , if only I could putt ......

Thanks MJ !

good lick on the putting, thats not an easy one to get consistent with, it takes confidence in it and not worrying about what you next should could be if you miss.

I love hearing comet stories!!!

You're a great role model for our sport. Keep it up! People that don't know disc golf always seem to pull for you first over the other guys. It's a contagious attitude and I just wanted to say thank you. Sorry, no more questions for you.

Here's my Comet story.

I had an X that I liked at the time, but either it wore in, or my power made a jump. Anyway, I couln't conrol it any more, and eventually lost it.

I came across some ESPs, and grabbed 3, since I knew some people swore by them, and I knew they weren't widely available. That was maybe a year ago. I'm down to one now. I don't always put my name in discs, but I did these, and I hope they were just so lost that no one's found them, but I doubt it.

I found the ESPs to be especially sensitive to power-down percentage, if that's a phrase. I couldn't find that sweet spot. I've got one left, and I like to use it in situations where the shot is sort of buzzy, but I'm dealing with tight/tricky lie and limited range of motion.

It's one of those discs that seems to become more and more useful, the more consistent/confident you get with your power control.

I'm so not there yet. But for tee shots/longer approaches that the Comet would be good for, I've for whatever reason had better luck with the Fuse. Probably just biomechanics.

the thing is, is that its not the pressure in my grip its how i let my wrist break and my hand and fingers tranfer the power and spin to the disc. A big key is to not lock the disc against the palm of your hand when you grip it, it should stay out in the fingers with it just touching the hand where your index and middle finger meet the hand

Do you use fan grip for everything? I normally use fan grip for putting/approaches/short controlled drives and three/four finger power grip for drives.

That sucks about the hip. Is it a one time injury, like you fell? Or is it a dreaded repetitive motion/nagging thing that too many long time high level players are cursed with?

I ask because, though I'm newish to the game, I'm old, and fear something like that that would limit my playing.

Last edited:
Hey MJ, first of all I want to say thanks for being a true professional. You the man! My question for you is if you have any updates on the course at Beatty's Ford park? I had heard at one time some discussion about an expansion to 18 holes.

Do you use fan grip for everything? I normally use fan grip for putting/approaches/short controlled drives and three/four finger power grip for drives.

i use it for everything including putting

That sucks about the hip. Is it a one time injury, like you fell? Or is it a dreaded repetitive motion/nagging thing that too many long time high level players are cursed with?

I ask because, though I'm newish to the game, I'm old, and fear something like that that would limit my playing.

i did it running around playing catch with a bunch of people

Hey MJ, first of all I want to say thanks for being a true professional. You the man! My question for you is if you have any updates on the course at Beatty's Ford park? I had heard at one time some discussion about an expansion to 18 holes.

i need to get in touch with the parks dept again and see what there plans are for that park. They had things in the works that were ahead of disc golf and i dont know where they stand right now

Here's my Comet story.

I had an X that I liked at the time, but either it wore in, or my power made a jump. Anyway, I couln't conrol it any more, and eventually lost it.

I came across some ESPs, and grabbed 3, since I knew some people swore by them, and I knew they weren't widely available. That was maybe a year ago. I'm down to one now. I don't always put my name in discs, but I did these, and I hope they were just so lost that no one's found them, but I doubt it.

I found the ESPs to be especially sensitive to power-down percentage, if that's a phrase. I couldn't find that sweet spot. I've got one left, and I like to use it in situations where the shot is sort of buzzy, but I'm dealing with tight/tricky lie and limited range of motion.

It's one of those discs that seems to become more and more useful, the more consistent/confident you get with your power control.

I'm so not there yet. But for tee shots/longer approaches that the Comet would be good for, I've for whatever reason had better luck with the Fuse. Probably just biomechanics.

thats what a comet does, it teaches control and being able to use different amounts of power and spin

MJ what is your athletic history? Were you an athlete in high school? if so what sports? did play any sports at the collegiate level?

MJ what is your athletic history? Were you an athlete in high school? if so what sports? did play any sports at the collegiate level?

i played travel soccer growing up as a goalie. ran track in middle school, but didnt play any sports in college or high school. I moved to a small town and didnt have the right name to play a sport and i didnt want to ride the pine:wall: I've played a bunch of disc sports since i was a little kid and always played games with frisbees with my friends. I also rollerbladed and played pick up hockey for a while. I played most sports just not organized most of the time. I did some how win my physical education award for my senior class in high school with out ever playing a sport, go figure

What is your preferred preparation routine for big tournaments? Do you have specific meals you like to eat before you play or is it just what sounds good?

Also, how do you keep smiling even when your round is falling apart? Thanks for taking the time to be a forum nerd with the rest of us, we greatly appreciate it :)

MJ,

Is there are reason you don't bag the ESP Comet? Is it that the Z and X work out as a pair better, or the general availability of it?

Also, I really like the ringer, but the plastic that its currently being produced in is "meh"..the pro-d just isn't up to par right now(waxy and soft)...Any comments on maybe a X-ringer, or even a comment on the few Z-ringers that are out in existance.

MJ,

Is there are reason you don't bag the ESP Comet? Is it that the Z and X work out as a pair better, or the general availability of it?

Also, I really like the ringer, but the plastic that its currently being produced in is "meh"..the pro-d just isn't up to par right now(waxy and soft)...Any comments on maybe a X-ringer, or even a comment on the few Z-ringers that are out in existance.

its pretty much only the availabilty of them.
i can deal with the pro d ringers, but for my main putting one i have to go thru 10-12 of them to find one that i really like. Also on the x-soft plastic ones, thats what i really want having been a soft rhyno putter before i switched to discraft. and i havent messed with the z ringers that are out there

What is your preferred preparation routine for big tournaments? Do you have specific meals you like to eat before you play or is it just what sounds good?

Also, how do you keep smiling even when your round is falling apart? Thanks for taking the time to be a forum nerd with the rest of us, we greatly appreciate it :)

thats a tough one..... i really dont have specific meals, but i do try to stay awa from eating a really heavy, greasy meal for dinner.
I dont do to much on the lines of a prep for a big event besides trying to get in a round or two on the courses being played. That gives me a chance to kind of sort out how i want to play the course and what i should try and avoid doing on said course.

to keep smiling when a round is collapsing around you isnt easy, but i do it because its not the end of the world when i have a bad day and golf isnt easy, its not always going to go your way every time. If it did i would be playing something else at this point in my life:D Plus i try not to effect my fellow competitors in a negative way, its just not professional to me to do that.

i'm having fun playing around on the forums, its always fun to see whats going on and interact with disc golf public in general.

Hey mj I was watching a clash video at the two days in may tournament. That course looked really cool but I was wondering how do you feel when you hit an ace during a tourney? Also how is billy crump in person cause he cracks me up

Supporting the cause: http://www.facebook.com/DiscraftDiscGolf/posts/10151191498857253

post by Disc Nation to Discraft Disc Golf's FB page:

Disc Nation · 42,957 like this · 12 minutes ago near Austin

Dear Discraft,

Michael Johansen is awesome. We often play DVDs in our store and when MJ's solo time from Clash plays, everyone stands around in awe of his smooth throwing style. It's the single best moment on DG DVD to show new players, "this is what controlling a golf disc is all about." And the shots that put these players in awe most are his Comet shots in the woods. That's pure disc golf there.

MJ has also been fielding a ton of questions about his game on the DGCR forums lately. These are the most experienced/jaded players in the sport, and they're *loving* his involvement and overall outlook on the sport and his personal game. Sheer positivity and helpfulness. Being the geeks they are, the forum is hot for Comets -- they are "the choir" to whom an MJ Comet would preach, and the disciples who would spread its high-performance magic around courses everywhere.

Michael Johansen is awesome and we're asking Discraft for the MJ Signature Comet in 2013.

The entire Nation approves this message!​

Latest posts