• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

with all the bag talk maybe its whats in the bag with MJ time!!!

I would like to know the molds and weights you throw....just brief descriptions like you did for the comets but with weights. Maybe list that right here in the thread.

If you see Howie ask him if he is playing PRO or AM???? =) derail activated.

Adding to this^ what are some new molds your currently trying out?

Just wanted to say thanks for doing this little QnA. I too am a big fan of your style and composure on the course.

Thanks for fielding all the questions I hope more pros will take your example. Can you explain a little bit about your putting style? Are you a focus on one chain link type of putter or do you focus more on the basket as a whole? Thanks.

My second tourney ever was at JB Red Owens park in Easley. I was warming up on Hole 9 and this hippy looking dude walks up to the tee, and says "this is easy" throws a backhand roller and parks it. :clap: I knew then that I had a lot to learn about this game. the fairway for this hole is a steep hill that runs towards a parking lot. the basket is prob 350 or so depending on the position.

Teebox

2b0ed465.jpg

Last edited:
My second tourney ever was at JB Red Owens park in Easley. I was warming up on Hole 9 and this hippy looking dude walks up to the tee, and says "this is easy" throws a backhand roller and parks it. :clap: I knew then that I had a lot to learn about this game. the fairway for this hole is a steep hill that runs towards a parking lot. the basket is prob 350 or so depending on the position.]

Holy smokes, I've played that course. It's wild.

Was the moral of the story that the hippie dude in question was MJ?

with all the bag talk maybe its whats in the bag with MJ time!!!

I would like to know the molds and weights you throw....just brief descriptions like you did for the comets but with weights. Maybe list that right here in the thread.

If you see Howie ask him if he is playing PRO or AM???? =) derail activated.

D ringer white, 170-172 its my putting putter for next season
D ringer greenish, 170-172, this years putter, it'll come out of the bag in a month or so

Z comet, red- 177+ my stable one, gonna put a new one in soon
Z comet green-177+ doubt it still weighs that much been in the bag since 08
X comet blue 177+
Esp Banger purple- 174ish been in the bag along time
D banger red, 174-174. new one that i am working on beating up
D banger blue. no clue about the weight got it from a friend, really beat
Z banger-175. My stable dog that wont die
Z hornet orange 175ish i think
Z glow buzz- 175-176

Z pred reddish 172ish
Z xl green- older run 174 my fairway driver
esp surge pink- 170-172
esp nuke white first run 174 my roller and trick shot disc
ti nuke purple 175
hurricane 175

my bag changes a fair amount this time of year. i start breaking in disc for next season and working on back ups and newer discs

Thanks for fielding all the questions I hope more pros will take your example. Can you explain a little bit about your putting style? Are you a focus on one chain link type of putter or do you focus more on the basket as a whole? Thanks.

i am definitely not a hit a link putter. I just try and get my putter to hit an area in the basket. and if 2/3rds of it hit that area it will probably fall in. On longer putts i try to putt thru an area, same size as i usually use, about halfway or so to the basket

My second tourney ever was at JB Red Owens park in Easley. I was warming up on Hole 9 and this hippy looking dude walks up to the tee, and says "this is easy" throws a backhand roller and parks it. :clap: I knew then that I had a lot to learn about this game. the fairway for this hole is a steep hill that runs towards a parking lot. the basket is prob 350 or so depending on the position.

Teebox

2b0ed465.jpg

that is a fun hole!!!!

i am definitely not a hit a link putter. I just try and get my putter to hit an area in the basket. and if 2/3rds of it hit that area it will probably fall in. On longer putts i try to putt thru an area, same size as i usually use, about halfway or so to the basket

Again, 1.5 cents, FWIW

One of my earlier 'ah-ha' moments (not the "Take On Me" video, btw) was one of the youtube vids, with Feldberg hosting a putting clinic with Cam Todd.

Somebody asked Cam the same question, about which link he aims at, or something. He said since the links will basically move around depending on the angle you face the baket, that "I just try to hit the pole." I was like :doh:

It was one of those 'so simple it's genius' moments. Basically, the basket is designed to catch a disk that will even nick the pole, with the exception of left side chain outs (for a righty.)

MJ, what would it take to get you to come out to the Music City Open in nashville this year. I can guaruntee you a place to stay,transportation, and a caddie for all 3 days.. It will be played on 3 great woods courses you can destroy with your Comets. Nashville needs some hippie golf in our life!

MJ, I'm curious what you look for in a comet you like -- I've only seen really domey ones on store shelves (z plastic), but haven't really seen that many around here to compare. Are they all like that, or do you like flatter ones? Not sure how dome affects the stability/flippiness of the comets in general -- thanks for any input!

IME the domier ones are more stable and the flatter ones are flippier but I would also like to hear MJ's thoughts on this.

i seem to trend more to the domey ones. They are a bit more stable, but it also kinda depends if i'm replacing a stable one or less stable one in my bag.

MJ, what would it take to get you to come out to the Music City Open in nashville this year. I can guaruntee you a place to stay,transportation, and a caddie for all 3 days.. It will be played on 3 great woods courses you can destroy with your Comets. Nashville needs some hippie golf in our life!

i have no idea what it would take to get me out there. Depends on when the event is and if it conflicts with something. I do appreciate the offer. I really havent planned anything for next year really. Outside of a few things in january the only definite is playing the Two Many Days in May at the Blockhouse(former grange) around memorial day weekend