• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Beginning and End of all Putters

No I haven't, but I did get a 177g Sonic the other day and I really like it a lot.

Who makes the OMEGA?

I have had a couple, and they never really worked for me. I won a "Discraft Banger GT" at my last tournament, and I am really starting to like it. I never would have bought one, but I am glad I got it. If you get a chance try one.

The omega ss used to be my main putter.<until I found out about the blowfly>. It's a very straight putter, and since it is soft you don't get the "skip" when you hit the ground, or a tree. It pretty much grabs and sticks after it hits, which for hilly courses it is great. It is made by Millenium, which used to be a side company of Innova, but heard recently that they had broken off. I still carry an Omega in my bag, mostly in case of windy conditions <blowflys are NOT good in heavy wind>.

FYI - Millennium Omega = Innova small-bead Aviar

The Aviar that we all know as the "Aviar Driver" has a large bead, and the Aviar now known as the "Putt and Approach" has no bead...in between those two is the "small-bead" Aviar. Millennium has always used the small-bead mold for the Omega...Innova stopped making the small-bead for a long time, but Millennium kept producing it. You'll occasionally come across an old DX Aviar that has a small bead, but you have to look closely to tell the difference between it and a no-bead. Innova recently (sometime within the last few years) started producing the small-bead Aviar again under the title "Classic Aviar"....all of which have the Aviar "grid" stamp and are produced in a very stiff blend of DX plastic (which is very similar to the OOP "Omega Driver").

I had been using the BlowFly until recently, had some amazing shots with it. Many shots that would not have went in w/ any other putter.
My son had a SS Omega and I really like the way I could just snap it right into the chains, I still carry the BlowFly in the bag for shots that have fast greens or might have a tendency to roll w/ any other disc.

I've been using a Birdie for those hilly greens. My Aviars tend to land and flip up on an edge to roll down the hill when I miss. I don't really care for how the Birdie feels or throws. Now that I have heard a friend of mine using a Blowfly and the stuff I am reading here maybe I ought to get one for my bag. Hmmmm....

-Dave

I've got one the Aviar P&A mentioned above. I almost bought an omega, but after I looked at it for a minute it seemed awfully familiar. Now I know why. I like the Aviar/ Omega style putters for approach shots, but I tend to make a lot more putts with my Birdie. It just seems to fly a little more consistent for me.

Omega Supersoft has been my putter of choice for several months now. I'm pretty happy with it.

ERic

Dave, you mentioned considering the blowfly...let me give you some ups and downs on them
Ups:SUPER SOFT...when you hit anything, it just stops and grabs, I've even "taco'd" it right into the side of the basket. Floats, in water, and when you throw it the glide just keeps it going. It is very straight, actually they will go wherever you point them, great for anhyzer turns. Ive had mine, numerous times in fact, hit the side of the rim and "crawl" over and into the basket a number of times.
Downs: only comes in a dark purple/blue color And if you really try to "crank" it like a driver it will tend to flip. Also, trying to throw it forehand it will flip. Not great in the wind at all.
All in all it is the best disc I've ever used. If it is really windy, and open, I know I'll have to reach for my omega to putt, but if it is not, my blowfly is in my hand <if I can see chains>.
Best place to get one...I went to Amazon.com, searched "blowfly", had several places and prices on it, but you can usually get one for about $9.00 or under.

Latest posts