• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part III)

Hello everyone. Just tried dyeing my first disc. It was a white X out wraith that I don't plan on using, just wanted to test. I tried the "nebula" style that Odyssey had posted awhile back. I know there was a disagreement between calling it the "nebula" style, but I wasn't sure if there was agreement on what to call it now. Anyways, I only used two colors because I wanted to see if I was going to be successful before buying more supplies. I used iDye poly blue and yellow and I let it sit for 20hrs to make sure it had ample time. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt. I'd like to try the spin dye over top but I don't have another record player and I am not going to chance ruining my nice one. I plan on trying the "skittle bomb" technique next. Hopefully the picture posted correctly. Any tips, please share.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 124
I tried the "nebula" style that Odyssey had posted awhile back. I know there was a disagreement between calling it the "nebula" style, but I wasn't sure if there was agreement on what to call it now. .

LOL. Good times. Just call it nebula.

Here's my attempt at the skittlebomb technique. Pretty happy with the end result. Cleaning up this one is no fun though.

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 127
Here are a few that I've done recently.

booWaiu.jpg
GR8TWGo.jpg
9gtxGhi.jpg
2oHp6Th.jpg

Really would like to know the technique used on the bottom two. Any help?

Really would like to know the technique used on the bottom two. Any help?

This is pure conjecture, but it looks like shaving cream using straight dye powder.

Yup. Same results from a couple I've done with a smoothed, flat shaving cream bed with powdered dye sprinkled over it, then pressing a disc down into the bed.

Picked up some new discs from the Innova factory store, all factory seconds. Here is what I did with the Star Colt. For the life of me, though, I couldn't get rid of the factory penned "X" in the middle of the disc.

Attachments

• Star Cold dye_sm.jpg
    Star Cold dye_sm.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 71
booWaiu.jpg

dang, this one by AccidentalLayup is killing me... soooo cool... I think it would freak me out on the course though... I'd go into a trance :)

Here is another one I did last night on a Champion Glow Leopard3. The dye took forever to set and I had to leave it overnight.

Attachments

• L3_jack skellington.jpg
    L3_jack skellington.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 50
This is an attempt at gradients in opposite directions such that the symbol is invisble in the middle.

Did it by hand with detergent as I am still too lazy to make a real gradient dyer for actual, smooth, gradients. That would make this a million times easier.

It's the symbol for Om. Been listening to late Beatles and had Across the Universe stuck in my head. Fun, only took a couple hours in total.

picture.php

Yup. Same results from a couple I've done with a smoothed, flat shaving cream bed with powdered dye sprinkled over it, then pressing a disc down into the bed.

Do you have any pictures of your end result with that method?

My apologies if this is a thread specifically for discs dyed by us. I had this disc made for me by Sky Candy Discs:

20170221_004759_HDR.jpg

I was doodling in a meeting at work to help me stay awake and drew this design. Went home and drew it in CAD and cut it out and dyed it. I turned out pretty good but I wish I had dyed it on a more opaque disc rather than the clear, I think it would help the colors pop a little more.

Attachments

• pattern.jpg
    pattern.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 129
I have said in the past that Fl. Yellow makes discs crazy bright in sunlight. That's because the dye makes your discs glow in UV. They don't glow in the dark, but in the presence of UV they are SUPER bright.

My friend gave me a brilliant idea. I dyed a Glow Nuke with Fluorescent Yellow. I've only run one quick test, but it doesn't appear to have affected it's glow ability. The benefit here is that it glows like 10x brighter than a glow disc when you actually shine a UV light on it, making it way easier to spot when searching with a UV light.

And now that glow disc can be used in snow in the winter too.

Dyed Nuke on the left

Attachments

• Glow.jpg
    Glow.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Here's my first attempt at a shaving cream/splatter dye. I did the splatter in the center. I did it with liquid dye instead of straight powder, mostly because I mixed all the powder dye into liquid(my mistake). Pretty happy with this outcome minus the white in the middle. Maybe I didn't put enough dye in the middle?

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 134
Incredibly pleased with how this turned out. Black and red Assassins Creed logo on a Campion Groove. I did it with iDye poly and water, painting it on. My first attempt dying a disc and I think I'm hooked haha.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 95
  • A9648C06-FE8F-44B7-A86F-5A35907C8E75.jpg
    A9648C06-FE8F-44B7-A86F-5A35907C8E75.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 58