• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part III)

Here's my first attempt at a shaving cream/splatter dye. I did the splatter in the center. I did it with liquid dye instead of straight powder, mostly because I mixed all the powder dye into liquid(my mistake). Pretty happy with this outcome minus the white in the middle. Maybe I didn't put enough dye in the middle?

I've had similar happen. If you don't have dye down it won't dye obviously, but I've found that the non-dyed spots are usually from lack of contact with the bed of cream (air bubbles between the cream and the disc). Whether the cream is too thick or not even across it's top.

A couple things to help. You can make the cream mix thinner. It can be super thin and still float a disc. Also, take your time and lower the disc in super slow to avoid the air pockets.

I've had similar happen. If you don't have dye down it won't dye obviously, but I've found that the non-dyed spots are usually from lack of contact with the bed of cream (air bubbles between the cream and the disc). Whether the cream is too thick or not even across it's top.

A couple things to help. You can make the cream mix thinner. It can be super thin and still float a disc. Also, take your time and lower the disc in super slow to avoid the air pockets.

Thank you for the tips!

I learned a lot on this disc.
I learned a good lesson in re-masking.
sometimes going by hand is worth the extra effort.

(I used my machine and software to cut another mask not thinking about the cutlines within the design that have potential to allow dye in and bleed. Had I just laid vinyl over the top and removed excess I would have had a very clean final disc)

Other than that I am pretty excited how this came out and I hope the young girl receiving this really enjoys this disc.

dd768d65-02a1-411a-9f6c-21f5300e721a_zpsiknwekxk.jpg

I've tried painting a few times with a idye detergent mix but the results have always been less than impressive. So I've stuck to what I know. Any good painting tutorials that I could check out in case I'm missing a simple step or two?

None that I know of other than the things stickied on the Dyeing forum, but feel free to PM me any questions, or ask here.

To each their own, as they say, but I hate remasking. The less cutting I have to do on the disc the better, not to mention having to clean the gunk off the disc after each mask (if it's a disc that's being bad about that), and the couple shades of color that each remask pulls off, and dealing with bubbles in the vinyl multiple times...ahh, I'm getting sick just thinking about it all. :sick:

Last edited:
Here are some slightly older ones
(the kool aid was done about a year ago)

Attachments

• 20161203_093846.jpg
    20161203_093846.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20170228_211753.jpg
    20170228_211753.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20170304_191031.jpg
    20170304_191031.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 79
"Get me my blue windbreaker!"
-Dr. Orpheus

picture.php

Disc 5 in the VB/Prodiscus set. Dr. O on a Yellow Laseri. For this one the character was all dip dyes, which was a fun little puzzle I normally bypass by painting. Used only Brown and Pro Chem Flame Scarlet dips for Orpheus.

Man, I miss Orpheus. The worst thing about S6 was his absence.

Next up is H.e.l.p.e.r. on a light blue Sparta.

Been awhile

I haven't dyed a disc since before Christmas so thought I would throw the last one I did for a friend.
I experimented with airbrush mix that has zero actions in it. It came out great in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 226
Here is a quick one I did Sunday. The disc is a G-Star Thunderbird thrower for my bag.

Black and blue marble ( first attempt at the marble btw ) with the hand cut "M" dyed over that. The first two pics were outside and the last was outside.

This disc was hard to photograph. G-Star plastic is super shiny when trying to use a flash.

Sorry if the pics are sideways...posting from my phone and don't know how to correct.

Attachments

• 20170315_121659.jpg
    20170315_121659.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20170315_120740.jpg
    20170315_120740.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20170314_122719.jpg
    20170314_122719.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I haven't dyed a disc since before Christmas so thought I would throw the last one I did for a friend.
I experimented with airbrush mix that has zero actions in it. It came out great in my opinion.

Yeah, that looks really awesome. Good luck finding it though. :)

Latest posts