• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Please god let this thread become all about which manning brother is a better commercial actor.

Please god let this thread become all about which manning brother is a better commercial actor.

That would be ridiculous.

Personally, I think PM would be a better student of the disc golf game than EM would, but I'd be concerned about his ability to execute long drives without floating 'em into trees. I also wonder if his body would hold up to the rigors of disc golf, especially during the later days of long tourneys, and later tourneys in the season. And because PM is the more dominant football thrower, I suspect that EM would feel he had something to prove out on the DG course, and would therefore be the more motivated player. On the other hand, Denver has far better access to DG courses--advantage PM. In a nutshell: I don't think EM will change sponsors in 2016, but it wouldn't surprise me to see PM throwing for whatever brand will take him next year.

Edit: also, PM is too domey.

Last edited:
I also hear he spends a lot of time volunteering at Golden Gate Park. He probably is a good guy but those moments whete he made bad decisions are the ones that scare sponsors.

My understanding isn't that he volunteers there, but that he is employed by the San Fran P&R and actually gets paid to work there. I may be completely mistaken.

Women are ABSOLUTLEY tied to their looks when it comes to success. Who was the blonde tennis chick who never eon a tournament but had millions in endorsements while the Williams sisters were slaughtering the competition and getting bupkus? Even now...watch the Gatorade commercial with Serena Williams. You barely see her face, while that hot soccer chick's face is shown in close up so much you can barely tell shes playing sports."

Anna Kournikova

She was actually in the class of womens players with Martina Hingis and as hyped as she was but never lived up to the hype. She got famous enough to be noticed and then basically became a model who played a little tennis. Women are judged more on looks than men, but its not ONLY women. There is a reason why Mcbeths mug is everywhere, I mean ya he wins everything but he is also very clean cut, perfectly coiffed. You cannot tell me if Feldberg was winning everything that his face would be thrown around as much.

I got to watch many of the women play at the GMC and here is my take on it. I thought they were all attractive and they would all kick my ass. So if they want to make goofy faces at any time its fine by me!

That would be ridiculous.

Personally, I think PM would be a better student of the disc golf game than EM would, but I'd be concerned about his ability to execute long drives without floating 'em into trees. I also wonder if his body would hold up to the rigors of disc golf, especially during the later days of long tourneys, and later tourneys in the season. And because PM is the more dominant football thrower, I suspect that EM would feel he had something to prove out on the DG course, and would therefore be the more motivated player. On the other hand, Denver has far better access to DG courses--advantage PM. In a nutshell: I don't think EM will change sponsors in 2016, but it wouldn't surprise me to see PM throwing for whatever brand will take him next year.

Edit: also, PM is too domey.

People often mistake DG as a physical game, and yes it is, and it takes stamina, but true success comes from the mental side of the game. The best players are mentally tough, and make the right decisions. That means the real question, for me, is who is smarter and mentally tougher....

I feel like this is a down year for players switching sponsors.

Look at it, we are talking about feminism and the Manning brothers in this thread.

The best bits of news we have related to the topic are Paige Pierce being non committal to Prodigy and Innova thinking of dropping Patrick Brown because he has had a few outbursts.

Consider me bummed. Back to the gym to prepare for next disc golf season.

That's only because you're talking about it too early. Players are under contract until year-end and new ones don't go into effect until January. Players and manufacturers are not likely to tip their hand until things are official.

Isn't that a good thing?

Not necessarily. I would think players switching for better offers would mean a more competitive and vibrant market for them. Which would likely mean companies are making money and the sport is doing well.

I feel like this is a down year for players switching sponsors.

Look at it, we are talking about feminism and the Manning brothers in this thread.

The best bits of news we have related to the topic are Paige Pierce being non committal to Prodigy and Innova thinking of dropping Patrick Brown because he has had a few outbursts.

Consider me bummed. Back to the gym to prepare for next disc golf season.

seriously lol'd So true, though. Was 100% with you until the last sentence.

Not necessarily. I would think players switching for better offers would mean a more competitive and vibrant market for them. Which would likely mean companies are making money and the sport is doing well.

I think its more a matter of a lot of people made changes last year, and most people aren't going to jump ship again after year one.

The vetting process for sponsoring players does not seem very comprehensive for dg as the factory sponsored teams are very diverse except for Prodigy who seem to go with "clean cut" responsible people. Most other teams have both "clean cut" and "bad boys" and sometimes the team managers do not seem to realize who is who until it is too late or they only rely on playing ability and do not care about character. Years ago, the Zephyr Shop team began with Jay Adams, Alva and other wild local kids (outsiders) and it worked for their brand until the kids realized they were being used for profits and left for manufacturers run by business people (e.g., G&S) or started their own thing (e.g., Peralta and Alva). Town and Country surfing had Bertleman, Garcia, Gomes, Christian Fletcher, Matt Archbold and other radical, powerful bad boys (outsiders) because that was their brand much like Tony Alva still does with his skate team and it works. Channel Islands had Tom Curren and Kelly who were clean cut as well as Quicksilver had Carroll and Kelly (phenominal surfers and media darlings). It would be interesting to see two different dg factory teams where one sponsored "bad boy" types (e.g., Locastro, Barsby, etc.) and another only sponsored "clean cut" players (e.g., McBeth, Schusterick, Paige Pierce, etc.) to create a rivalry.

It would be interesting to see two different dg factory teams where one sponsored "bad boy" types (e.g., Locastro, Barsby, etc.)

Barsby a bad boy??? He's always cracking jokes and giggling. Just because he's a long-haired hippie does not quite qualify him as a "Bad Boy." I just want to give him a hug! Goofy bastard, he is.

Latest posts