• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable 2020 Pros switching sponsor/DD hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
back to talk about using JC instead of Jordan Castro. I'm not sorry...but I won't do it again. I see how things roll around here.

Lesson learned, and trust me, you got off easy in this case.

Why is Kevin Jones called KJUSA and not simply KJ? Because we already have a KJ and his last name is Nybo!!! I think someone got fined for that last year.

And it's even worse if you make the mistake of shortening Thunderbird to T-bird. The TeeBird purists will have you executed in your sleep.

RE: Tour Series. I remember when the KC Pro line came out and I was all "Why is somebody going to pay $10 for this Cheetah when that Cheetah is $7?" I stocked a few anyway. Second day we had them a couple of TDD's wander in and the conversation was something like

Guy one: "Who is Ken Klee-Mo?"

Guy two: "It says there he is a seven-time World champeen. You need to buy that there disc"

Guy one: *slaps $10 on the counter*

I saw it happen over and over. You would be surprised how endorsements help move discs. The Tour Series idea has been around long enough now that if it totally wasn't working they would have scaled it back by now. Those things must move pretty well.

I wonder if tour series discs are an artifact of the mold propagation of the early 2010's. Back then it seemed like there was a new disc from Innova or Discraft every couple weeks/months. People seemed to like the discs they had and were not keen on trying out new molds all the time, so the new model discs sales were slumping. This brings about Tour series limited runs to get the disc sales back up, especially because it's easy to sell people who love a model to buy it in a different plastic.

I agree with you 100%. At my local dg store, which sees a TON of traffic, with the exception of the McBeths, Sexton FB, Cloud Breakers etc, tour series discs just do not sell consistently.

They seem to sell out fast at my local store, but our local scene is very active.

Why are we interrupting a perfectly good pizza thread with this boring touring pro ****.
Pizza talk got boring. No one ever brought up taco pizza, which is a combination of the two greatest foods and should be elevated to a food category above all others. Prove me wrong. :|

tenor.gif

On the note of best selling discs from someone you might not expect? I wonder about the Jen Allen Teebird. I know she had some injury early season but they sell, I see a lot of them around and she didn't even tour this year. As people said though sometimes players don't sell discs, the discs that sell are going to sell regardless of the name.

I think with the Jen Allen Teebirds is the fact its a teebird in a sometimes hard to acquire plastic combo. I initially bought them because I heard wonders of the flatness/OSness of Color Glow Champ Teebird and it was the only source I could find in that plastic.

Based on my friends, tour series discs sell more based on the unique plastics/stamps they usually come with. Not necessarily because they want to support a pro so much.

I do think that a variety of things can drive tour series disc sales. In some cases the unique mold & plastic combinations are alluring in their own regard.

Real life example:
When the Sexton Firebirds first came out, I was psyched to have a Firebird for my glow bag! Sexton is a fun player to watch and seems like a genuinely likeable guy also. But his name is NOT what sold me on the CG Firebird. It was just a favorite mold in awesome material.

After that, the CG FB became an option in Innova's custom stamped CFR program, meaning I could get leftover tourney stamped CG Firebirds at stock disc prices on eBay. But the resale market for SexyBirds is still double those prices, or more! So obviously many value the Sexton tour series stamp itself.

Leaving me to wonder: is Sexton's name really making the discs THAT MUCH more valuable? Or has the SexyBird become a high-value product unto itself, and Sexton kind of lucked into the holy grail of tour series discs? Ultimately it's a mix of factors.

Edit: I see that tbonesocrul just post something similar about Teebirds.

I think with the Jen Allen Teebirds is the fact its a teebird in a sometimes hard to acquire plastic combo. I initially bought them because I heard wonders of the flatness/OSness of Color Glow Champ Teebird and it was the only source I could find in that plastic.

Based on my friends, tour series discs sell more based on the unique plastics/stamps they usually come with. Not necessarily because they want to support a pro so much.

Does anyone think people buy Sexton Firebirds because Nate is such a stand-up gentleman? Many assume it is because it's such an amazing disc, but I now know it is because Nate is an eloquent poet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/dpou93/why_are_trees_a_halloween_themed_poem_about_how/
Why are trees?

If you ask me "What are trees?" I'll tell you right quick, Woody plants, by the billions, some thin and some thick!

"How are trees?" - you'd retort, and I'd tell you that too, A story of seeds, pollinators and small starts that grew,

"Where are trees?" you'd then query, "that you can't prove!" Go outside, there are trees, and if not, you should move!!

I sit back and recline having answered your questions, But then a smirk starts to form as you look my direction,

You open your mouth and utter these words: "Why are trees?"

In an instant I'm changed, at a loss, and befuddled, The picture I'd painted so clearly is muddled,

Why is anything here? Why is anything not? How can I answer without weeks of thought?

I must tell you I don't know, as I fall to my knees, I'm haunted, I'm sleepless, I'm adrift on the seas,

Reality floats off, and up, out, and back, All logic is gone, and each night I'm attacked,

I'm shaking and shivering and starting to freeze, The only thing left now is to scream - "Why are trees?!?"

Leaving me to wonder: is Sexton's name really making the discs THAT MUCH more valuable? Or has the SexyBird become a high-value product unto itself, and Sexton kind of lucked into the holy grail of tour series discs? Ultimately it's a mix of factors.

I think why sexy birds are so more valuable is the resell factor. Just look at 2015 sexybirds on eBay right now. Asking price is 150+. So I think people know each year there will be a limted run and looking to cash in a few years.

Pizza talk got boring. No one ever brought up taco pizza, which is a combination of the two greatest foods and should be elevated to a food category above all others. Prove me wrong. :|

How about a pizza stuffed with chezburgers?

mcdburgerpizza.jpg

How much of tour discs not moving (if that's the case) can be attached to many players fighting over the same overstable slots? I have an Andrew Fish comet (buy local) and have considered a Barsby Roadrunner, a PP Deputy, and a Night Strike. All discs in my bag.

But, take the Night Strike. It's glow plastic, so likely a more stable version of that disc. And not what I want (have beat-in Teebirds).

Lots of people pick up the Comet and it's flight makes sense. You've got to have waaaay more arm sauce than I have to throw Koling's Concrete Slab. And what is it competing with on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts