• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Not to put words in Hamp's mouth...but I think he is commenting more on the move itself and less on Ricky's skill level.

Still, it doesn't make sense. Paige went back to Discraft, I wouldn't exactly call her a has been either.

I'd argue Paige joining Discraft wasn't a "backslide" move. Discraft was on the rise and Paige saw a good opportunity, the fact that it was a previous sponsor was a bonus. DD doesn't strike me as a brand on the rise. It looks like they are potentially trying to replicate the Paul to Discraft move as a way to breath life back into their brand.

I think it's fair to say that 5 years or so ago the trilogy brands were in the best position to be Innova's closest contender.

McBeth, PP, and a few others going to DC made them relevant again. In the eyes of many they had become stale and lifeless.

MVP finally signed a top tier pro in JC and dumb luck lightning in a bottle after "The Shot" for them.

KJUSA, Cat, and Dickerson have played well the last few seasons for Prodigy.

Eagle, Simon, and KK obviously move DM plastic.

Not sure if the thinning of the trilogy heard was intentional or not. I think it was, either because they thought their social media presence would keep them relevant, or if they were choosing to reallocate dollars towards other parts of their business…or a little of both.

They have a new warehouse. Given Latitude's assistance in DM's own manufacturing space, I can easily see DD making a similar arrangement. I have always had a hunch on DD producing their own stuff, and now I think it seems much more reasonable.

I also think you'll see some rebranding or remarketing within those three brands. Still three brands under the same family, but maybe more distinction between them?

Hate to say it, but Ricky going back to DD is the move of a has been.

Is it Frank Robinson going to the Orioles or is it Ichiro going back to Seattle?
I think it's more of a move by a company trying to get back into the pro sponsorship game. DD hasn't had a headline player for awhile (no offence to Eric but he wasn't exactly on lead cards most of the year). If DD builds a team around him they could become viewed in the Discmania type realm.

I'd argue Paige joining Discraft wasn't a "backslide" move. Discraft was on the rise and Paige saw a good opportunity, the fact that it was a previous sponsor was a bonus. DD doesn't strike me as a brand on the rise. It looks like they are potentially trying to replicate the Paul to Discraft move as a way to breath life back into their brand.

So you are referring to the company, in this case Dynamic Discs, as the has been and not the player. It is still harsh, but at least more understandable, lol.

Not sure if the thinning of the trilogy heard was intentional or not. I think it was, either because they thought their social media presence would keep them relevant, or if they were choosing to reallocate dollars towards other parts of their business…or a little of both.

They have a new warehouse. Given Latitude's assistance in DM's own manufacturing space, I can easily see DD making a similar arrangement. I have always had a hunch on DD producing their own stuff, and now I think it seems much more reasonable.

I also think you'll see some rebranding or remarketing within those three brands. Still three brands under the same family, but maybe more distinction between them?

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2019/12/10/full-statement-jeremy-rusco-dynamic-discs-concerns/

We have made the decision to reduce the overall number of tour team players. The main reasons for this are so that we can effectively market, promote, and advertise our tour team players and compensate them accordingly to what has become the new standard. At the end of the day, there is only so much money to go around and there are only so many players that we can effectively market and promote. We want a tour team that feels supported in all aspects and we couldn't continue to support as large of tour team as we had.

Yeah, that's clearly the answer to what DD is thinking. They'd rather sponsor one great player that is constantly getting lead card coverage, rather than a handful of middling touring pros that no one follows. They do seem to still sponsor a bunch of non-touring weekend warriors, but I imagine that doesn't cost them very much other than some free frisbees and gear.

I was told by a well-known player that Calvin did not really want to re-sign with Innova. I do not know much more about it, but I could see him moving to another company.

Other than that, who else is going to be making moves this offseason???

I was told by a well-known player that Calvin did not really want to re-sign with Innova. I do not know much more about it, but I could see him moving to another company.

Other than that, who else is going to be making moves this offseason???

I love in videos whenever somebody asks Calvin what he's throwing, and it's one of his halo destroyers. from what I remember he ALWAYS is like "yea it's a great overstable driver" but never says "oh yea this is my 2021 tour series halo destroyer, which you can purchase from the innova proshop". kinda like how drew wouldn't say buzzz

Yeah, that's clearly the answer to what DD is thinking. They'd rather sponsor one great player that is constantly getting lead card coverage, rather than a handful of middling touring pros that no one follows. They do seem to still sponsor a bunch of non-touring weekend warriors, but I imagine that doesn't cost them very much other than some free frisbees and gear.
It's really two different things.

Kyle Giovannini was a non-touring weekend warrior Dynamic sponsored guy. Who? Dude was in the Army and was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood for a year or so before he shipped out the Germany. He was like the local pied piper of Dynamic; the entire disc golf club had bags full of Trilogy discs withing a month of him getting here. Good player (he was like 990-rated while he was here), good guy, good ambassador for Dynamic. When we held a B tier, the tourney discs had to be Dynamic. Had he stayed here, our club would probably still be a big Trilogy-throwing group.

He shipped out, McBeth went to Discraft and that became the new hotness, and suddenly the tourney discs were Wizards again. The Dynamic thing didn't stick because the ambassador left.

If Kyle is still sponsored by Dynamic, I guarantee wherever his is today he's getting people to throw Dynamic. That is why you sponsor those guys.

Touring guys you sponsor for an entirely different reason.

I vaguely remember DD saying at GBO in 2016 that they were looking to produce some molds stateside. Not sure what happened there.

It's really two different things.

Kyle Giovannini was a non-touring weekend warrior Dynamic sponsored guy. Who? Dude was in the Army and was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood for a year or so before he shipped out the Germany. He was like the local pied piper of Dynamic; the entire disc golf club had bags full of Trilogy discs withing a month of him getting here. Good player (he was like 990-rated while he was here), good guy, good ambassador for Dynamic. When we held a B tier, the tourney discs had to be Dynamic. Had he stayed here, our club would probably still be a big Trilogy-throwing group.

He shipped out, McBeth went to Discraft and that became the new hotness, and suddenly the tourney discs were Wizards again. The Dynamic thing didn't stick because the ambassador left.

If Kyle is still sponsored by Dynamic, I guarantee wherever his is today he's getting people to throw Dynamic. That is why you sponsor those guys.

Touring guys you sponsor for an entirely different reason.

Kyle is in Indiana now and he just played our Flagship event the Checkered Flag Open a couple of weeks ago. Seemed like a good guy.

I love in videos whenever somebody asks Calvin what he's throwing, and it's one of his halo destroyers. from what I remember he ALWAYS is like "yea it's a great overstable driver" but never says "oh yea this is my 2021 tour series halo destroyer, which you can purchase from the innova proshop". kinda like how drew wouldn't say buzzz

Calvin says almost exactly what you say he doesn't in his takeover of Eagle's Vlog at DDO. 7 minutes in. *shows driver* "Product placement. Calvin Heimburg Tour Series Halo Destroyer. (where can people find them?) Probably your local retailer or the Innova Factory Store."

But you're right that he's not a salesman about it. That's why we love him. :hfive:

Latest posts