• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The next great player....under 18 phenoms

No offense, but I have a hard time believing that a 928 rated golfer has "been slaying course records for years". Unless those course records were set on tracks that are only a few days old.

It was kind of a joke. Zach is a true champ though, and will be very good one day. I have seen him play a lot of good golf, and he is only 17.

It was kind of a joke. Zach is a true champ though, and will be very good one day. I have seen him play a lot of good golf, and he is only 17.

Ah, over my head apparently. Still a solid rating for a 17 y/o. I meant no disrespect.

Justin Lammers. Played with this kid down here in Melbourne, FL recently and he was excellent. Tons of power, great putting, and very calm/quiet.

http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/53811

To the idiot that said that forehanding is a cop-out. There are shots that are not able to be accomplished with a backhand. I can throw those shots. Can you?

i have a lot of confidence in my buddy zach longeill. a couple more years at this and im sure he will be 1000 rated. hes going to am worlds next year, so we'll see how he does under the bigger spot light. he did great this year at the vibrAM. once those rounds are counted for, his rating should jump a good bit. currently 12. playing for 2 year i believe. he seems to keep up with whatever level players he is throwing with, so if he would just step up in divisions, i feel his game would escalate further.http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/95108/2013

I vote for this. 900 rated 12 year old winning INT tournaments and beating most adults in advanced stands out to me.

Here in AZ we have the 13 and under world champion in Anthony Barela, and the 16 and under champ in Nick Duran. Nick is 14 and was when he won the Open division at the Aspen Sports Treebash Open where AB won in advanced. I'm giving the youth movement to AZ for now.

Gotta go with GCR Russell on this.....

Anthony Barela & Nick Duran. We met them both at AM Worlds this summer.
Simply amazing to watch. If these young men keep playing they will dominate.
Also met Austin Phaff - another young man that is just phenomenal.
My son played with Barela on same card throughout the week and and I got to watch firsthand on 2 rounds just how confident and poised Anthony is. He just STOMPED the field and played a complete game. The kid can drive, approach and putt. He is steady. Great family and a very good young man. Can't wait to watch the show again next year in Minneapolis!

I think it's sometimes easy to forget how young Matty is due to how good of a player he is. I would like to think I have grown up to be a really well-adjusted adult, but I know I would cringe at my attitude or my actions from when I was 15 and having a bad day at something I really cared about. Matty is a great kid -- a generous person and a good friend. His mental game will continue to get better as time goes by, I think.

I certainly hope so, and my original post I referrenced my own lack of mental strength - even as an adult. That goes a long way to player development, a weak mind held my game back for 10-15 years... Never know when/if that will develop.

I also specifically mentioned 3 other young men that have their game and heads together already... Austin and both Winward boys seem to have that part of the game down, amazing for youth to be so solid mentally IMO.

But Matty did not have that characteristic last I saw him, though he definately has the game. Seen him light up a very tough course so much so that many questioned his shaving strokes... I seriously doubt he did, but that is how hot & cold he can play. His metnal strength could improve, might already be heading that way as I personally haven't played with him in just over a year now.
I hope so much that he develops into a great player, his mom takes him everywhere to play. Great to see the support and good parenting, that's always a good thing.

Posted on 09-11-2013
The last two have to be Paige and Hunter Bjerkaas. Paige is ALREADY on Team Dynamic Discs and she hasn't even graduated high school! Their mom and dad are also awesome players, and Doug (the father) designs awesome courses as well as maintaining the popular CHU course. You can mark my words right now...she will one day win Worlds! Here's her page: http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/49782/2013

giphy.gif

Latest posts