• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The PDGA Should Suspend The National Tour

I agree the NT and DGPT should be merged.

Also agree with Dodge's sentiment that this DGCReview website should've partnered with the PDGA a long time ago to be the official course directory of the PDGA.

Also agree with Dodge's sentiment that this DGCReview website should've partnered with the PDGA a long time ago to be the official course directory of the PDGA.

Which is funny, because I would think that now most people would use UDisc as the easiest and best course directory? Funny how things change.

I don't think they should be merged yet. Lets talk again in 2 years.

with who in charge? No way would I turn anything over to DGPT based on their track record thus far.

From the pdga's perspective yes- this site is better than theirs. From TimG's perspective who knows?

Last edited:
Which is funny, because I would think that now most people would use UDisc as the easiest and best course directory?.

I disagree that UDisc is better or easier to use than DGCR. And even though the courses I've designed are each rated about one star higher on UDisc, I don't really trust UDisc's ratings. Can you find extinct courses on UDisc? I haven't yet.

with who in charge? No way would I turn anything over to DGPT based on their track record thus far.

I'd put DGPT in charge. Sure, they still have a lot to learn, but the PDGA wants out of the business of running the NT, and eventually DGPT will take over anyway.

I'd put DGPT in charge. Sure, they still have a lot to learn, but the PDGA wants out of the business of running the NT, and eventually DGPT will take over anyway.

If they could manage to run for a year or two without needing an infusion of cash I might agree with you. Right now they seem as likely to be gone in 3 years as to be in existence. Sugar daddies don't grow on trees.

I'm all for making the DGPT the one tour to talk about. Frees up the PDGA to focus on Majors, maybe even adding more of them for both Pros and Ams. I think with Jeff Spring in charge of the DGPT - someone who has also previously run NTs/Worlds for the PDGA - the tour would be in good hands. It would let the DGPT absorb more high profile events, making it even more appealing to follow and participate in. More/higher profile events on the DGPT will likely draw them more sponsors and make it a more sustainable model.

The only negative that I see from this is the fact that the "Old Model" has to be discarded.

I disagree that UDisc is better or easier to use than DGCR. And even though the courses I've designed are each rated about one star higher on UDisc, I don't really trust UDisc's ratings. Can you find extinct courses on UDisc? I haven't yet.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for a place that has all the historical sites? If so, then I don't think UDisc is your best option. But UDisc is free as opposed to DGCR's $2.99 price for a mobile app. Their scorecard is better (not DGCRs primary usage, I understand).

I just bought DGCR and looking at that vs. UDisc...

I would argue that UDisc's course finder is easier than DGCR on the mobile app.
UDisc finds at least 4 additional "courses" in my area. All of those are 1-6 baskets, used primarily for practice.
The UDisc app is visually superior to DGCR.
And my understanding is that the UDisc ratings are directly from the players using the app.
UDisc gives current course conditions.

I think that the only reason I could see using DGCR for finding courses is if I were one of those "course collectors" that keeps track of every course they play. That isn't the primary use of UDisc, although it has it. If I were a regular player, I would easily gravitate towards UDisc.

I'm all for making the DGPT the one tour to talk about. Frees up the PDGA to focus on Majors, maybe even adding more of them for both Pros and Ams. I think with Jeff Spring in charge of the DGPT - someone who has also previously run NTs/Worlds for the PDGA - the tour would be in good hands. It would let the DGPT absorb more high profile events, making it even more appealing to follow and participate in. More/higher profile events on the DGPT will likely draw them more sponsors and make it a more sustainable model.

The only negative that I see from this is the fact that the "Old Model" has to be discarded.

I have a lot of faith in Jeff Spring's ability to run the tour. BUT, he has no more experience running a tour than Steve Dodge did when he started. Both ran successful NT events before hand. Jeff did run a PDGA Major as well. And I had a lot of faith in Steve Dodge when he began running the DGPT 5 years ago.

Jeff Spring and the DGPT disavow Dodge's article

Rightly so, IMO. Steve's always been a bit of an agent provocateur. Sometimes to his credit, sometimes not. This feels like one of those not to his credit moments.

I'm not sure that reply was made after reading the article....

Steve isn't proposing the DGPT not work with the PDGA; I think he's advocating working even more closely, by supplanting the NT.

I'm not sure that reply was made after reading the article....

Steve isn't proposing the DGPT not work with the PDGA; I think he's advocating working even more closely, by supplanting the NT.

Right, and I think Jeff's position is they have no interest in supplanting the NT at this time.

I don't think they should be merged yet. Lets talk again in 2 years.

Having seen peeks underneath the hood of the proverbial engines being discussed - a merge specifically would be about as successful as the suggested DGWT/DGPT mergers a couple of years ago.

At the same time, if the DGPT can't beat a group that puts out a pretty minimum effort financially, and sends 2-3 overworked people to an event...should they really be given the keys "just because"?

Seems to me that if you can't outright win the attention that's more of a mark against the DGPT than the PDGA.

I appreciate what Steve is saying, and I agree that the PDGA loves fence-sitting in terms of whether to give full-throated support and priority to growing a tour. However, given the lack of financial stability at the DGPT (I know we're saying they're secure now, but they still have to prove it), and the lack of financial danger at the PDGA, it makes sense for both tours to continue and provide enough events to continue the expansion of the pro game alongside the expansion of the amateur game.

I appreciate what Steve is saying, and I agree that the PDGA loves fence-sitting in terms of whether to give full-throated support and priority to growing a tour. However, given the lack of financial stability at the DGPT (I know we're saying they're secure now, but they still have to prove it), and the lack of financial danger at the PDGA, it makes sense for both tours to continue and provide enough events to continue the expansion of the pro game alongside the expansion of the amateur game.

I agree with this Jamie. This is the first year under new ownership and management. Which is why I said lets look at this again in 2 years. It could be a different landscape, it might not be.

I agree with a lot of Steve's premises, but the DGPT needs to prove itself first and foremost.

I agree with this Jamie. This is the first year under new ownership and management. Which is why I said lets look at this again in 2 years. It could be a different landscape, it might not be.

I agree with a lot of Steve's premises, but the DGPT needs to prove itself first and foremost.

I recall that Steve originally proposed to take over the NT directly but the PDGA declined and encouraged a proof of concept, hence the birth of the DGPT. Seems like now, Steve wants that original idea re-visited. However, with the change in ownership/management of DGPT, they're in many ways right back at square one in terms of proof of concept. The only person who doesn't recognize that, apparently, is Steve.

I recall that Steve originally proposed to take over the NT directly but the PDGA declined and encouraged a proof of concept, hence the birth of the DGPT. Seems like now, Steve wants that original idea re-visited. However, with the change in ownership/management of DGPT, they're in many ways right back at square one in terms of proof of concept. The only person who doesn't recognize that, apparently, is Steve.

To piggyback on this - consider this 2020 season "Square 1 v2.0" BUT now something extremely important is different. There is no Disc Golf World Tour to compete with for sponsorship dollars and audience attention.

Ultimately, I think the DGPT has to prove that it can expand the audience without needing to ad-hoc to other brands. So far what it has done very well with Steve at the helm has been engaging with the already-bought-in folks...and keep in mind that there's a little bit of "no press is bad press" mentality when I say that. We fans have definitely kept the DGPT name on the tips of our tongues since 2016.

What the PDGA does demonstrably better is expand participation in the sport.

In general, in this sport today, there are too many people starting to turn their minds towards contracting opportunities when we still need to be in an expansion mindframe. It's happening in all major decision-making parts of this sport, and it's a mistake. It's too soon.

In general, in this sport today, there are too many people starting to turn their minds towards contracting opportunities when we still need to be in an expansion mindframe. It's happening in all major decision-making parts of this sport, and it's a mistake. It's too soon.

Not following you there at all. Examples please?