• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ridge Roller !! "Production version"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck. I think they might be too small, plus you'll have to deal with the axle, hopefully it pops out or something, and even then you might not have bearings.

Now that I think about it, the easier and more effective way to get color rims might be to prime and spray paint the ones that come with the cart.

Last edited:
I posted this incorrectly elsewhere. I got the straight Zuca version of this cart. It looks to be different from what the ridge roller is. A few comments to consider.

I bought one of these about two weeks ago. Couple of things, the inside pencil holder is no longer there in this model (I've seen video where there is one inside the zippered pouch, and the insert for holding discs is white, yuck.

The cart is quite nice, and well built. However, day one, one of the knobs that holds the wheels on came off and was lost. It is quite likely my fault, but tighten them down well! (note see below, the Zuca version is different from the ridge roller version). That said, I replaced mine with wing nuts from Home Depot, tightened them down, went out and one came off by hole four. This doesn't surprise me, I built a very similar cart a few years ago and had the same problem. It is the threads and free rotation of the shaft. Not bad design, just reality.

You can do several things, first, Locktite. It keeps threaded nuts from coming off, but makes it hard to get them off unless you have a tool. There are different versions, some that are lighter in consistency and thus, don't hold quite as tightly.

What I've done is what I did last time. I pulled the shaft and drilled two small holes just outside of where the wingnuts, I'm now using, tighten to, when assembled. I then inserted a removable cotter pin to prevent the nuts from coming off. That is great for me but not for those with original equipment.

I do wish there was a designated pencil area, and a designated mini area. Last, the pocket on the side opposite from the putter side goes all the way down. That means that anything in there slides down between the bag, discs, and the metal frame. Kind of a pain to my thinking.

All the bad aside, the build and ergonomics of the cart are fantastic. The handle set up and even the space in the back allows me to insert my disc retriever.

It looks from the pictures that Ridge Roller used a lock nut and a cotter pin to solve the problem of knobs coming off. I will likely invest in the putter pocket in the near future.

I posted this incorrectly elsewhere. I got the straight Zuca version of this cart. It looks to be different from what the ridge roller is. A few comments to consider.

I bought one of these about two weeks ago. Couple of things, the inside pencil holder is no longer there in this model (I've seen video where there is one inside the zippered pouch, and the insert for holding discs is white, yuck.

The cart is quite nice, and well built. However, day one, one of the knobs that holds the wheels on came off and was lost. It is quite likely my fault, but tighten them down well! (note see below, the Zuca version is different from the ridge roller version). That said, I replaced mine with wing nuts from Home Depot, tightened them down, went out and one came off by hole four. This doesn't surprise me, I built a very similar cart a few years ago and had the same problem. It is the threads and free rotation of the shaft. Not bad design, just reality.

You can do several things, first, Locktite. It keeps threaded nuts from coming off, but makes it hard to get them off unless you have a tool. There are different versions, some that are lighter in consistency and thus, don't hold quite as tightly.

What I've done is what I did last time. I pulled the shaft and drilled two small holes just outside of where the wingnuts, I'm now using, tighten to, when assembled. I then inserted a removable cotter pin to prevent the nuts from coming off. That is great for me but not for those with original equipment.

I do wish there was a designated pencil area, and a designated mini area. Last, the pocket on the side opposite from the putter side goes all the way down. That means that anything in there slides down between the bag, discs, and the metal frame. Kind of a pain to my thinking.

All the bad aside, the build and ergonomics of the cart are fantastic. The handle set up and even the space in the back allows me to insert my disc retriever.

It looks from the pictures that Ridge Roller used a lock nut and a cotter pin to solve the problem of knobs coming off. I will likely invest in the putter pocket in the near future.

http://www.amazon.com/ToughBuilt-TB...d=1463350293&sr=1-3&keywords=toughbuilt+pouch

Get this instead. Cut out the small pockets in the main area. Two putter, mini, pencil, phone all fit perfectly. Also, has a quick release if you want to take it off.

Good luck. I think they might be too small, plus you'll have to deal with the axle, hopefully it pops out or something, and even then you might not have bearings.

Now that I think about it, the easier and more effective way to get color rims might be to prime and spray paint the ones that come with the cart.

Nope! Didn't work. Rim and tire size were good, even had sealed bearings, but the axle size was too small.

There were some features of my Sun Mountain cart that I like and felt were a little lacking on the Ridge Roller / Zuca All-Terrain. First, the self-leveling cup / can holder. That's something still in the works for another time. Second, the bag the hung on the back was great for a sweatshirt and a few snacks. It actually works on the back of the cart! The top bungee cords wrap around the top of the frame and the bottom ones attach to the axle. It's all tight enough that it shouldn't really sag. This bag has an umbrella pouch on the backside and another quick-access pocket on the top that'll hold a mini or small towel. The third thing is a stud for a camera / gps mount / tablet. I have something picked out, but it's not high priority.

Other things that I am looking into are:

• Fenders or side-covering for the frame by the wheels to keep the bag and bottom of the fram cleaner.
  • Redesign of the bottom part of the rack to allow the cooler to sit all the way back and still have 3-4 discs on the bottom.
  • Making a customized faceplate for the bottom front of thte frame, where Zuca is cut out.
  • MAYBE remove the cup holders and mount a hydration bladder somewhere on the cart. Still thinking through this one

Really, it's a very usable cart and the things that I'm looking at are cosmetic or nit-picky. This thing rolls incredibly well. I really liked the stability of the 4-wheel Sun Mountain, but haven't had this get very tippy on me. It's much more stable than I expected.

What's the best place online to pick up one of these carts? Direct from Zuca?

That would be probably the best bet at getting one is right from Zuca. I know there are authorized retailers selling them, but I do not know who or where.

Direct or post up a "wanted" ad on the RR Facebook page. Any dealer that sees it will contact you.

Last I heard, Wingz Disc Golf had a stock, but that's been a week or so.

I'm in the market for a cart right now to save my already damaged back and knees. I'm almost set on the RR but I'm curious about stability on hills. Hopefully you guys that have one can chime in on how it handles a bit of uneven ground. Being in Colorado stability on uneven terrain is going to be a requirement but I worry about the higher center of gravity on hills. Also, is the seat still usable on a slight hill or does it want to tip if you sit on it while on a hill? Thanks guys.

If you play lots of hilly courses carts dont make it any easier.

There's very few courses I play that it doesn't at least even out. Winter Park is about the only course locally that I wouldn't drag it along. Just having an available seat makes it worth it most of the time, even on hilly type courses.

There's very few courses I play that it doesn't at least even out. Winter Park is about the only course locally that I wouldn't drag it along. Just having an available seat makes it worth it most of the time, even on hilly type courses.

Guess i havent found that to be true even at a place like bryant lake or hyland which are not Colorado mountains. Id rather carry a lighter set in my upper park rebel and hike it out. Hell even the valley i find my cart setup to get annoying.

Guess i havent found that to be true even at a place like bryant lake or hyland which are not Colorado mountains. Id rather carry a lighter set in my upper park rebel and hike it out. Hell even the valley i find my cart setup to get annoying.

What kind of cart do you have?

Even in some of the hilliest Wisconsin courses, I'd rather pull my cart than wear my Grip A-Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts