• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The sheer idiocy of playing in snow

This is the first winter for me. I'm pleased to say I've been out quite a few times, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.
The bullet points of winter DG have been made, it's not that hard.
The friend that got me into this sport has been yelling at me to stop all winter. Say's I won't be able to play in the spring, I'll hurt myself, everybody stops playing.
He understands what I know, and that's I don't plan on having any rust to shake off this year.
I just got two rolls of +33 tape from 3m...if I use ribbons this year, I'm ready! Also, I'm only down one disc this winter, and I hated it anyways, so i gave it to the dude that found it!

Not many weekend days do I pass on throwing discs this time of year, but today is one of them. I've been fighting a nasty cold this week and don't feel like shoveling in order to go play in -10F wind chill.

Tomorrow it will be cold also, but another day to recover and get the driveway shoveled and I'll be ready to throw.

I've played all winter for many years and live in Minnesota. I lose far fewer discs in the winter than in the summer. Ribbons generally suck, my rules are to watch closely, play with others, in deep snow one person spots and use bright colors and soft plastics. That's about it. One last thing, dress warm especially around the wrists and ankles. In summer overuse problems are more common and in winter wipeouts and not being flexible due to not being warmed up cause more issues. Other than that have fun!

Spray the area where your disc is going to land with water. By the time you get back to the tee, it will be frozen and your disc will stay on top.

Knowing my luck, it'll skip off the ice and bury itself around a blind corner :\

Spray the area where your disc is going to land with water. By the time you get back to the tee, it will be frozen and your disc will stay on top.

Knowing my luck, it'll skip off the ice and bury itself around a blind corner :\

No no no. You have to understand what I said, "Spray the area where your disc is going to land..."

When your disc lands where it lands, that's where it lands.

We just got about 6" of fresh snow yesterday. For league today I decided to empty my bag of my "normal" lineup and fill it with discs I haven't thrown in a while or ones I've been wanting to try out. It was a great opportunity to throw some different plastic and I actually shot one of my better rounds in a while. We didn't lose anything but if I had it wouldn't have been one of my go-to staples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend and I spot each other on days when there's fresh snow. Slows the round down, but neither of us are chasing scores or anything on a snow day

I play all winter long. Dialing it back in every possibly way is the norm, from foot work to unloading the bag for practice. I hate winter, but it is not a deterrent. However, there gets a point where it turns from novelty and slight annoyance to it becoming downright detestable. That was my last Saturday. I was waiting to pick my daughter up from college and they have a nice 18 that for better or worse, sees so little traffic. That was to my advantage because the fresh snow had only been marred with one set of footprints. Locating throws should not be that difficult. What I also discovered was that the fresh snow covered the fact that the whole course had turn to a skating rink. Tees and fairways were a solid sheet of ice, making it impossible to find safe footing on drives. I have 400 foot power that normally dissipates down to 350-370 during the winter, but I was lucky to muster 250 or so on numerous shots. It was exhausting trying to find safe footing. We had a warm spell a week ago that caused a lot of snow to melt, but we are back in the freezer for several more weeks, so the ice is going to stick around for a long time. So it now looks like there are no clean courses near me. It will not stop me from playing, but I hate winter so much.

I agree. Playing in the snow is just dumb! My local course has a nice open field for warming up. I lost a disc on my second warmup throw in a wide open field because it buried itself in the snow. So I'll have to wait until it melts and hope someone calls me!

I agree. Playing in the snow is just dumb! My local course has a nice open field for warming up. I lost a disc on my second warmup throw in a wide open field because it buried itself in the snow. So I'll have to wait until it melts and hope someone calls me!

Yeah, I'm over it. I love DG, but I'm willing to wait until the snow melts. The area where I live is very seldom covered in snow anyway.

Do most course facebook pages keep up with snow conditions at the course?

I'm a never-facebooked person (one of the few left on the planet I know . .. ) but in the winter it's frustrating around here as some courses will have an inch while others have tons.

Tough to get a straight answer from disc golfers too --- seems like ski conditions we should have "disc conditions".

"<2", tees clear." and keep it updated.

etc.

Do most course facebook pages keep up with snow conditions at the course?

I'm a never-facebooked person (one of the few left on the planet I know . .. ) but in the winter it's frustrating around here as some courses will have an inch while others have tons.

Tough to get a straight answer from disc golfers too --- seems like ski conditions we should have "disc conditions".

"<2", tees clear." and keep it updated.

etc.

That sounds good in theory, but I don't see it happening on most public courses around here.