• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Straightest driver on the market

throw TL or beast for straight long shots...shorter under 225 probably a shark that is so broken in it goes where ever you release it, sometime in the right direction.

the straightest driver on the market

Will be Innova's new white anglo-saxon protestant neo-con driver, it's so straight it won't even look other discs in the face.

Short - well worn aviar P&A
Mid - well worn roc
Long - beat CE Valkyrie

P.S. You should do something about those flies hovering around your bike and basket

so true. avenger ss is almost TOO flippy. i loved it at first, but after developing a bit more snap, its starting to bury itself.

We recently met, and played a round with a man that had me put a slight anny on my Avenger SS. This makes is S or flex in a pretty darn straight path, and doesn't take much room. It can go a mile when thrown right too. My practice drives with the SS went 30' beyond the Destroyer and Reaper. I absolutely hated this disc a week ago. Glad I didn't trade it off.

Seriously, I'm with SomeChump, I consider myself to be a long arm, and with my run-up, on flat surface with no wind I max out at 320-340. And I typically drive farther than anyone else I play with, it's my only advantage in most cases. But 380, on a flat surface? Thats huge, especially if it's consistent. Not talking smack or anything but I've played with people who will call a 50 ft putt an 80 footer or more, so sometimes distance is relative, I suppose.

If you look at the more serious players, 380' isn't really a "big arm," especally if it's with a distance driver. Most adult males will get to that point given proper instruction or by listening to good advice plus some hard work. I've noticed that most people on disc golf forums, for whatever reason, don't want to do that or are unable to recognize good advice. To throw that far you need solid mechanics and OK timing. You just can't be doing anything too wrong.

There'a jump from throwing that far to throwing fairway drivers 420'+ that a very small percent of the population will ever make. It requires solid mechanics and really good timing.

It is worth noting that some courses have very bad estimations on hole distances, too, which is probably the root cause of "message board distance." Many people (myself included) find that out the hard way the first time they hit a football field.

i agree- 375 or so is accessible to pretty much any able-bodied male with good technique, beyond that it starts to require actual talent.

Maybe I don't play with high caliber players, but most of the guys I know when they step on to a football field, where the distance is actually accurate, have troubles getting it from one endzone to the other. it's a hard subject because 300 ft on a course and 300 ft on a field look a lot different. i practice my drives by standind in the back of one endzone and trying to hit the post on the other set of uprights across the field. and so far i have only met one other guy (he has a pdga number, and plays in a number of series on the west coast) who could make those lengths, now i'm not saying he is amazing or i am but that distance on a flat field is seriously a long way. i would love to meet these 420 ft plus drivers though that is for sure.

It is worth noting that some courses have very bad estimations on hole distances, too, which is probably the root cause of "message board distance." Many people (myself included) find that out the hard way the first time they hit a football field.

Very true. I have a feeling that some are paced off, missing straight line distance, and counting the vertical ups and downs as well. Also, flat ground on a course isn't always as flat as a football field.

I fear my throws will be shorter on the field once I let a few go there. I always feel odd when I pace one off at 350 - 400, but look back and don't feel like it was longer than a football field. At the same time, I'll take my paces on the field and the math is right on, so who knows?

Either way, 375+ with a TL is a damn long throw.

Maybe I don't play with high caliber players, but most of the guys I know when they step on to a football field, where the distance is actually accurate, have troubles getting it from one endzone to the other. it's a hard subject because 300 ft on a course and 300 ft on a field look a lot different. i practice my drives by standind in the back of one endzone and trying to hit the post on the other set of uprights across the field. and so far i have only met one other guy (he has a pdga number, and plays in a number of series on the west coast) who could make those lengths, now i'm not saying he is amazing or i am but that distance on a flat field is seriously a long way. i would love to meet these 420 ft plus drivers though that is for sure.

The world distance record indoors is only 143.56 meters or 471 feet. There probably wasn't too much wind to help or hurt the flight. Not to mention, these longs throws are not all that useful.

On topic, I would throw a dx Aviar P and A if it the hole was under 275 feet and if it wsa over, I would use a slightly beat champion monster with a forehand throw.

Very true. I have a feeling that some are paced off, missing straight line distance, and counting the vertical ups and downs as well. Also, flat ground on a course isn't always as flat as a football field.

I fear my throws will be shorter on the field once I let a few go there. I always feel odd when I pace one off at 350 - 400, but look back and don't feel like it was longer than a football field. At the same time, I'll take my paces on the field and the math is right on, so who knows?

Either way, 375+ with a TL is a damn long throw.

375 with a TL is a long throw. i'm glad you got my point though, i'm just doubtful about the real distances is all, i have worked for survey crews, the forest service, and other similar jobs so i've always thought i was a good judge of distance, and it's weird when a tee says the hole is 350 or something like that and then i overshoot the basket by 50 feet. thats basically what i was saying. but true also i rarely rarely get the chance to pull out the big guns on any actual course i've ever played. try the football field thing, you may be surprised, might kill your ego too though, it did for me.

agreed - its a long way - sure i've thrown a BH 400+ on a course - downhill of course. My best on a football field was throwing from some rubbery surface 5 yards behind the endzone to within a foot of the other endzone line - 375' those were FH. My BH didn't come close - probably didnt come close to 300' - i'd really like to see someone throw a 400+ bh

people who don't throw 300-400 BH shouldn't get discouraged. 99% of the holes ive ever played don't require such a shot to make par and if you did throw 400 -you wouldnt come close to making par. Ironic So much talk about distance while that kind of distance won't actually help much of the time.

Last edited:
Depends on the course on how much it will help you. One of the better courses in my area is massive (Pickard Park). It has 7 holes over 500 feet, and only 4 under 300 (from the long tees anyways). Driving 400 feet will gives much better odds for birdie on that course.

agreed - its a long way - sure i've thrown a BH 400+ on a course - downhill of course. My best on a football field was throwing from some rubbery surface 5 yards behind the endzone to within a foot of the other endzone line - 375' those were FH. My BH didn't come close - probably didnt come close to 300' - i'd really like to see someone throw a 400+ bh.

My friends and I have rented a stadium football field multiple times, and done a lot of statistical analysis of our throws. We throw a wide variety of plastic, multiple times each, and over a series of weeks collected a fair bit of data. We've also thrown in a variety of wind-conditions. Then we go spreadsheet crazy on it (we're all programmers).

End result of this was a lot of really interesting data. Most of us throw about the same length, with 360' being at the very top end, 300' being the average. 360' is the back of the other end zone. There is a fence that runs around the field, and that's around 390' from our throwing points. I hit the fence on the fly, once, with a 150g Beast. That particular throw would have gone 400, not including skip. It is (and continues to be) the longest throw of my 4 year career.

I can now say that I throw about 300', with hours and hours of data, and that a great throw is 360', and I topped out at 400'. I can also say that I have been slowly replacing my entire bag with different discs (slower) because of this data.

As a gross generalization:

- In a tailwind or crosswind, low-speed discs did MUCH better. I believe that the disc production companies like Innova are laughing all the way to the bank as they sell more and more Bosses and Grooves to amateurs like us. Light-weight discs also did MUCH better. Low-speed light-weight discs dominated the longest throws by far. That's to be expected perhaps, but to realize that nearly everone threw a 150g Archangel further than any Boss or Groove or Destroyer just goes to show that new technology does not equal distance. All the evidence shows exactly the opposite. My single suggestion to new players is don't buy anything fast. You simply won't have the spin on the disc to be successful (I believe needed spin is directly proportional to disc weight).

- However, higher speed discs did help into a headwind.

- In a tailwind, the order of importance was: weight, lower speed, and stability.

- In a headwind, the order of importance was: higher speed, stability, and weight.

My straightest flying disc is my Dart, but for a driver I would throw a TL on a narrow flat fairway.

Last edited:
I was looking at the player profiles on the Discraft site, and one of the guys says he uses his Buzzz for shots under 400 feet. Seriously. Why would Discraft type that up as if it's true, but then feature all sorts of other players who can't throw drivers that far on their "long drive" videos?

If it is really true that this guy uses his midrange for 390 foot shots, why is there not an HD video mixtape of him doing so on linked from the Buzzz page on their site? Am I that much smarter than their marketing department?

I'm the type of guys who only believes what I see with my own two eyes. And I definitely believe that if guys could throw as far as they say they do, their egos would prompt them to film it and put it on youtube.

If you look at the more serious players, 380' isn't really a "big arm," especally if it's with a distance driver.
Have you seen Discraft's distance driving videos? The instructer on "more distance now" doesn't throw any further than 380, and on the other video where they have 4 or 5 Team Discraft guys showing off their max throws, only one of them throws 400.

Who are these more serious players??