• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The use of cell phones during tourney play...

SpikeHyzer

* Ace Member *
So, an interesting topic has emerged from Worlds this year. It seems as though many of the top pro's are getting bent out of shape about players being on their cell phones during the rounds. Now, they aren't making phone calls, but just sending texts/emails/fb posts/etc. If the ringer/sound is turned off, I don't see why these guys are trying to stroke players.

According to section 3.1, item C, of the player conduct code:
C. Players are not permitted to have audible mobile phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round. In addition, personal music players and other devices must be used exclusively with personal headphones and the volume must be kept at a level so as not to be heard by other players.

I figure as long as they aren't using it as a gps measuring device and the sound is turned off, who really cares?

I think it has to do with the Masters+ aged guys getting annoyed with the younger players paying more attention to their phones than the game. I personally wouldn't want the distraction of a smart phone while in a big tournament like this. Any other time I wouldn't be upset. But my wife and I have been shaking our heads at the pervasiveness of this activity in daily life. People in general nowadays seem to want to play with their phones more than they want to interact with the world around them. It's quite disturbing actually.

I say they deserve the penalty strokes.

If it isn't making any noise why do they care? If it's just because they don't like it then I would tell them to suck it up and quit being a baby. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have the right to tell someone to stop doing it.

Keltik: Was stopped at a stop light with cross traffic going on a green light a couple days ago and some 15/16 year old kid texting on a phone crossed the street without even looking up. Brakes locking up, tires squealing and horns honking... kid didn't even look up, I'm not sure he even knew he'd crossed through traffic. I guess Darwin's dead.

A lot of people around here use a score keeping app on their phones and it has saved strokes/fixed errors numerous times. I have no problem with it as long as it isn't making noise.

I still prefer to object to smartphones on the rangefinding capability. If I remember the rule correctly, it doesnt matter how you are using the device, only that you are in posession of a device capable of measuring longer than 10m.

How would you prove that it is capable? Does it have to have software designed to measure? Or is it hardware that if used with software is capable of measuring?

warobert said:
I still prefer to object to smartphones on the rangefinding capability. If I remember the rule correctly, it doesnt matter how you are using the device, only that you are in posession of a device capable of measuring longer than 10m.

The rule is:
The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

It's ok to carry just not use.

warobert said:
If I remember the rule correctly, it doesnt matter how you are using the device, only that you are in posession of a device capable of measuring longer than 10m.
And herein lies the cause of most rule discrepancies and manufactured rules... Why not look it up instead?
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80204-artificial-devices

Thanks for looking up the actual text. I was too lazy to walk to my bag and get the rule book out.

So how do I know that the guy is putting his score into his phone and not checking the distance to the pin using google earth? It looks the same while standing in the fairway. Also, is their any guidance for the "director" in how to rule on multi function devices that are capable of violating 802.04 A but also could be used for non rules infringing purposes?

warobert said:
Thanks for looking up the actual text. I was too lazy to walk to my bag and get the rule book out.

So how do I know that the guy is putting his score into his phone and not checking the distance to the pin using google earth? It looks the same while standing in the fairway. Also, is their any guidance for the "director" in how to rule on multi function devices that are capable of violating 802.04 A but also could be used for non rules infringing purposes?

1) If you make the rule to state that it is illegal to carry anything that could help you guage distances beyond 10m you couldn't play the game. if you hold a disc up at arms length the profile of the disc will visually cover up more of the basket the farther away you are. So now all of your discs are illegal measuring devices.

2) Take your cell phone out to a course and actually use it to guage distances on a course and see if
a) It wouldn't be painfully obvious what you are doing or
b) It would be so inaccurate that you wouldn't care if someone tried to use it that way. Seriously try to use google
earth effectively to guage distances during a round.

The one issue I have with the use of phones and such is that when players are throwing the other members of their group are supposed to be watching to observe rules violations, where discs go OB, etc. plus it's nice when you shank your shot into the bushes and you're not the only person who saw where it might have gone. I suppose it might be hard to write as a rule and legislate but I think it would be a nice courtesy if players only used their phones for stuff during stoppages of play (waiting for someone ahead to finish, pedestrians in the way, etc.).

The rule has changed for 2013. You can now use any kind of equipment to measure distances including cell phone GPS and rangefinders.