• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf and it's Professional Legitimacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also agree that the OP is way off. It's not like people are actively avoiding professional disc golf because they think the pros use drugs, most don't even know that professional disc golf even exists. At best it's a thing a friend or coworker does on the weekend. I'm sure there are lots of statistics about the growth of disc golf, and that's great, but disc golf won't be a mainstream sport unless the numbers get big. "Bigger than before" isn't good enough if it's still relatively small.

There are plenty of mainstream sports that have as strong of an association with drugs as disc golf. Golf, bowling and baseball are very commonly played while drinking. Most "extreme" sports have the same drug associations as disc golf. It's just that those sports are already more popular.

Disc golf is also difficult to film. It's as boring as ball golf, but there are a bunch of trees keeping you from getting any camera angle you want. The part that could make it more exciting to watch (shaping lines) is hard to record as well. You have to zoom in so much that it just looks like a disc that's floating there. If you don't, it's much too easy to lose the disc.

It's also difficult to set up compared to other sports. You need a fairly sizeable and particular piece of land to convert to a disc golf course. My guess is that's the reason the mainstream sport thats' closest to disc golf also hasn't been in the Olympics for a while (ball golf). I'd think that most every other disc sport has a better chance of making it into the Olympics. Both Guts and Ultimate are more exciting to watch and all of the field events are easier to set up and film.

Tell the NBA about this "anti-drug" thing.

Those guys test positive all the time and the NBA could care less.

Its just not talked about.

Yet they seem to be doing fine with sponsors and such.

At least we covered the "what is holding disc golf back" topic early this month. Now we don't have to worry about discussing it until July.

Hasn't hit it big?!?! Seriously? What qualifies as "hitting it big"? The big competitions are televised, a ton of money is involved, sponsors galore, what is it missing?

:thmbup:

I wonder if bocce ball fans sit around and wonder why their tournaments aren't on ESPN? ;)

It's all about the spectator demand. There are a ton of "sports" that people do because they're fun. Disc golf is one of them. So is wind surfing, kite flying, RC racing, bocce ball, badminton, racket ball....

Hey what about corn-holers!

The nba doesnt even test for marijuana. It has been reported that 60 to 70 percent of the nba smokes. Put that in your pipe and smoke it op.

Yeah, they don't ever test, or care about it :|
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/8/29/4671280/nba-drug-use-tmz-lamar-odom-marijuana

They do "test", but pretyy openly, players who fail are just ridiculous, players who get caught multiple times just are asking for it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ug-policy-via--using-marijuana-215010449.html

NCAA cares about the higher-profile teams as well
http://www.nba.com/2014/news/04/25/mitch-mcgary-declares-nba-draft.ap/

They should be happy they aren't playing football, ask Josh Gordon that.

I read somewhere that disc golf is a fast growing sport.

That what NASCAR liked to say 10 years ago as well. "fastest growing" in terms of courses/venues installed? Sure. But I would even say foot golf is growing faster than disc golf. Among other games.

This is one of the dumbest arguments ever. Nobody gives a **** what athletes abuse in sports, it's sports. The only people who really give a **** about drug abuse is the media and most of that was steroids and baseball because it screwed with the historical #'s. A ton of athletes in major sports smoke cannabis; if you go to a golf course on a weekend you'll see guys drinking and smoking.

Go ask 100 Cleveland Browns fans if they want Josh Gordon on their team this year and I guarantee you over 90% says hell yeah I don't care if he smoked some weed. It's 2014 most of the country is in favor of decriminalization of cannabis if not outright legalization. It's only a matter of time before the feds follow the states lead because to much money is at stake.

For some reason people like you have this notion that the public knows what the hell disc golf is enough to care about people smoking and drinking. They'd have to first realize disc golf is an actual sport before caring that some people get high and drunk while they do it.. and most of them don't. People, especially people in America, are way to wrapped in their own lives to give a **** about what you're doing. Even if they did feign interest for a bit they'd soon get distracted by the new season of 24, the new iPhone 27 or whatever the hell Bieber is up to.

Soccer Golf

I was driving to play disc golf this past Saturday and was listening to a local am radio show in Indianapolis. They had a golf pro on from one of the premiere courses in the state. It was very interesting that soccer golf(or whatever its called) has partnered up with the PGA of America in promoting the sport. If you really want to hit the big time as many on this forum say, you need to get over being golfs little brother and piggy back on this concept. Soccer courses are popping up on golf courses across the country at a pretty good clip. Its growing and its a pay to play sport. I for one could care less if disc golf is ever on TV or mainstream, just thought it was very interesting that a sport that was founded just a few years ago is more mainstream than a sport that has been around for quite some time.

... little to no air time on outlets like ESPN, a lack of consideration at an Olympic Committee, a lack of major sponsorships outside of the materials used int the sport itself i.e. Doritos, Pepsi, Exxon.

There are many reasons for this but ultimately it's due to the legitimacy of the sport being in question.

... as the fastest growing sport in the world has it's biggest event broadcasted live on television for the first time... brought to you by General Motors, Red Bull, and Geiko.

Ultimately, it's due to marketability. The average disc golfer does not have a large demand for products supplied by General Motors or Geiko. Many are paid at or just above minimum wage, don't have a job, or are supported by parents. A new Grip bag is a major cash outlay; a Mahal is a indulgent dream. The average (ball) golfer fits a different economic profile.

What are you going to successfully market to the disc golf crowd?

I'd also like to add that I really don't understand what the hell anyone has against cannabis use and drug testing would really only affect that and a few other drugs. Meanwhile guys can blow uppers to make them more jacked up and focused for competition and get an actual edge and nobody says **** about that.

I'd be willing to bet more than a few high rated players in the 80s were doing lines of coke like it was nobodies business. Yet some of those guys get praised on here as gods gift to the world.

... but i'd like to point out i don't give a **** about that either, just surprised you nazis are so wrapped up on smoking..

I'd also like to add that I really don't understand what the hell anyone has against cannabis use and drug testing would really only affect that and a few other drugs. Meanwhile guys can blow uppers to make them more jacked up and focused for competition and get an actual edge and nobody says **** about that.

I'd be willing to bet more than a few high rated players in the 80s were doing lines of coke like it was nobodies business. Yet some of those guys get praised on here as gods gift to the world.

... but i'd like to point out i don't give a **** about that either, just surprised you nazis are so wrapped up on smoking..

Exactly, probably doing bumps on the tee box. Beta blockers can work wonders while the sticky icky isn't helping anyone's game.

Ultimately, it's due to marketability. The average disc golfer does not have a large demand for products supplied by General Motors or Geiko. Many are paid at or just above minimum wage, don't have a job, or are supported by parents. A new Grip bag is a major cash outlay; a Mahal is a indulgent dream. The average (ball) golfer fits a different economic profile.

What are you going to successfully market to the disc golf crowd?

Vaporizers and hacky sacks.

I'm bored, so I'll pile on as well.

As far as performance enhancing drugs go, there are examples of "big time" televised, Olympic sports with major PED problems despite the intervention of WADA and similar agencies. Ever heard of track and field or cycling? Lance Armstrong supposedly never failed a test, right? So, how effective is testing?

As far as herb, it is very easy to pass a piss test even if you are high at the time of testing.

A lot of people have placed a few arguments and I would like to address them.

"Nobody cares about cannabis..." "Nobody cares about PED but the media..."

These arguments are made-up garbage. First off, many parents, families, and adults who actually have money for 27 DG baskets care very much about people smoking drugs. Second off, companies care about that kind of stuff in a major way. Coke or Pepsi wants to get their name out in any way possible, but when a person is called out as a cheater, those kinds of companies run for the hills. DG has a dysfunctional rules set when it comes to drug use (and to be fair has other issues as well) and would-be major advertisers just walk away from it. They have other places to get their name out and other projects to get behind, and until DG changes some things, they will continue to be shrugged off.

"DG is not a spectator sport..." "DG is boring to watch..." "Nobody want's to watch DG on TV..."

Opinions, to which you can statistically argue that there are an equal number of opposing opinions of varying degrees from your own. Golf is boring to watch and the object ball is impossible to see, does not stop them from successfully televising it and from sponsors getting on board. Bowling anyone? People watch what they are told to watch by the media, and if the media thinks they can market DG they certainly will.

"There is no money in DG..." "There is no money in selling plastics..."

False. Everyone in DG wears at least 2 shoes. Everyone in DG wears pants and a shirt. Everyone in DG has a bag for discs. Everyone in DG has discs. Every course has maintenance vehicles. Every course has X baskets. Every spectator can be manipulated into taking stock in any of the brands associated with the above. It's simple marketing and an individuals personal opinion on the marketability (or lack there of) of DG is simply a drop in the bucket. The fact is that if NBC, ABC, and CBS decided they wanted to market a knitting show, they certainly could. Disc Golf is way more exciting to watch and the shots taken by players and fast, accurate, and the object moves in the air like a remote control. It's like no other sport.

"Mountain Goat has only played a year..." "You suck."

Disc Golf itself has nothing to do with the marketability of the players and their personalities. I have been in organized sports my entire life, my family has been in competitive/professional sports for as long as I can recall. I remember going with my dad at less than 5years old to weight lifting competitions. Training and competition has been a major part of my 31 years. I understand marketing and I understand sports and I see a major problem with DG and it's parent the PDGA.

For those of you jumping up and down and waiving your hands, just log out. This discussion is to try and make something more marketable, it's about having the dream of becoming a PRO and banking 6 figures by playing a sport that 10s of thousands love. If you don't like that idea, then walk away, this isn't about you.

Last edited:
The fact there are no spectators in disc golf is not an opinion. That's why it's called a fact. :)

When I tell people I play disc golf I am usually met with questions regarding what disc golf is. I have never had a person tell me that they know what it is, but refuse to play/support/spectate because people that play smoke pot.

Good luck on your crusade.

This discussion is to try and make something more marketable, it's about having the dream of becoming a PRO and banking 6 figures by playing a sport that 10s of thousands love. If you don't like that idea, then walk away, this isn't about you.

At 31, this dream is a pipe dream (no pun intended) at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.