• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

I get it about 110m. turns about 5-6m to the right and then fades about 15-20m to the left.
pretty consistent flight paths to me. never flips or does anything else crazy.

Sounds like you have one of the elusive stable kings. I'd just look for a king with a lower plh, shouldn't be too hard.

So the King is dramatically more understable for me than the flight numbers on the disc would have me believe. I love it, really I do --- I can get great distance out of a nice S-turn with it, and it's very fast --- but I was hoping based on the numbers that it would be more stable.
Anyone have something in mind that's just a little bit less flippy?

You could try an elasto king, most driver molds seem to cure up a little more stable in elasto/frost/fluid than in vip/opto/lucid.

So the King is dramatically more understable for me than the flight numbers on the disc would have me believe. I love it, really I do --- I can get great distance out of a nice S-turn with it, and it's very fast --- but I was hoping based on the numbers that it would be more stable.
I'd say that Freedom, Bolt and Havoc all fall under the same category as the King where they are generally flippy, but you could certainly find a stable individual out of any of those molds.

Traditionally the next step up from the King has been the World. Problem is that again, you could be anywhere from Ape to Katana territory with those and I think they are not quite as glidey even when on the US side of the spectrum.

The one I haven't thrown myself, but sounds like a good fit here is the Ballista. It is supposed to be the "beat in World". The plastic options are still limited, but Opto is already in the works so could be there by the summer.

A bit slower but I'd go with a Trespass. My seasoned Fuzion Trespass sounds like it might tickle your fancy. I'm also curious about RGL Giants too, they could be bombers.

Among the Bolt, King, Freedom, Havoc.

I find the Havoc to generally be the most stable of all those.

My Dyemax Ballista was really good disc I had in my bag, but as I've put a lot more work into my game, I've found all those molds to be to understable for me and can only throw them in strong tail winds. The Trespass has really taken the spot of all those molds. Oh yeah, a Sword is another option.

I threw my 166 Sparkle Opto King the farthest I've ever thrown a BH drive this weekend. It was a beautiful bomb on a downhill hole.

Unfortunately it turned a lot an was 200ft past the hole and also about 250 to the right but darn if it wasn't beautiful.

I've got 3 kings now a 155,166, and 175 the heavy one is a a great bomber in all conditions but I don't carry the 155 much. Mostly a roller disc unless there is a witches tailwind In which case I can throw it pretty darn far.

A bit slower but I'd go with a Trespass. My seasoned Fuzion Trespass sounds like it might tickle your fancy. I'm also curious about RGL Giants too, they could be bombers.

Recycled Giants are bombers...I think they are going to replace my Worlds. I get the same distance with them on the course ~400', but the smaller rim on the Giant makes it more controllable for me. Super glide and still fights wind. Sorry to thread jack...just excited about these Giants.

In response to the question, there is the Cutlass coming out soon if you wanted to try a brand new mold, or you can try a Halo maybe? I really liked the trespass, and think this is a great suggestion as well.

I threw my 166 Sparkle Opto King the farthest I've ever thrown a BH drive this weekend. It was a beautiful bomb on a downhill hole.

Unfortunately it turned a lot an was 200ft past the hole and also about 250 to the right but darn if it wasn't beautiful.

I've got 3 kings now a 155,166, and 175 the heavy one is a a great bomber in all conditions but I don't carry the 155 much. Mostly a roller disc unless there is a witches tailwind In which case I can throw it pretty darn far.

lol...was there a L-R wind involved? Cuz 250' off course to the right is crazy for any disc.

Haha no, massive headwind. Had it turning hard and with the downhill the way it was it stayed right even after it had faded some.

I threw my Rask FH on the same hole to see how it fairer and it turned quite a bit so that says how windy it was.

The king is a great tailwind driver. Or good for big high hyzer flips.

I have not thoroughly tested the ballasita but it is definitely in the King category very long and slightly under stable.

Definitely two amazing discs.

A word of caution if your arm speed is slower I would recommend the flow for max d rather than these high speed missiles.

Last edited:
IMO the King and Freedom fly similarly. Same stability. HUUUGGGE distance potential, but you have to put them on the perfect line for it. Both discs love to flip over, but will also stay stubbornly hyzer if you throw them on the wrong line.

I like the King. Just a hair too understable for me to put in the bag though. Wildly inconsistent flights.

Recycled Giants are bombers...I think they are going to replace my Worlds. I get the same distance with them on the course ~400', but the smaller rim on the Giant makes it more controllable for me. Super glide and still fights wind. Sorry to thread jack...just excited about these Giants.

In response to the question, there is the Cutlass coming out soon if you wanted to try a brand new mold, or you can try a Halo maybe? I really liked the trespass, and think this is a great suggestion as well.

I have two recycled on the way, cant wait to throw them. Will see how they compete with my biofuzion enforcers.

Which hole was this? I've been playing in ATL a lot, we should get out there sometime.

I've been trying all kinds of (max) distance drivers lately and always keep coming back to the King.

The thing with the Kings is, like Feldie says, go for the pop tops. I have probably 7-8 Kings and all but 2 are flattish and very flippy. However, the two pop tops are really stable, glidey and long.

We threw some shots with a friend of mine who bags Bosses and my two good Kings were actually more OS than two of the slightly beat Bosses that he bags. He only throws max weight Champions, but from the older not so OS runs.

I max out with the King at around 380' and on a 350' shot they wont even turn. It's quite amazing after reading all the comments online, which on the other hand are in line with my experiences with the flatter Kings.

So give the pop top a go. :thmbup:

We threw some shots with a friend of mine who bags Bosses and my two good Kings were actually more OS than two of the slightly beat Bosses that he bags.
After reading this, it sounds a bit optimistic. I'd say the two Kings are just a touch more OS than the two moderately beat in Bosses.

ftr this is why I stopped throwing Kings. The domey ones are great. They got pretty scarce last year when I ran out of domey 2014 cfr Kings, so I went full VIP Catapult.

Similar to Kings in that they stay panned over for a lot of the flight (and in that they bomb..) but they dont drift very far in that phase of flight. Stable (more OS) Kings also kept a pretty tight line, but I would say these are tighter. Not as much fade on the tail. For me anyway, they are much more consistent than Kings. I havent had them go right and never come back after a slight headwind draft like I had with Kings.

ftr this is why I stopped throwing Kings. The domey ones are great. They got pretty scarce last year when I ran out of domey 2014 cfr Kings, so I went full VIP Catapult.

Similar to Kings in that they stay panned over for a lot of the flight (and in that they bomb..) but they dont drift very far in that phase of flight. Stable (more OS) Kings also kept a pretty tight line, but I would say these are tighter. Not as much fade on the tail. For me anyway, they are much more consistent than Kings. I havent had them go right and never come back after a slight headwind draft like I had with Kings.
I don't know what it was that I didn't like about the Catapult, but well I didn't like them. :)

I think I get a better grip from the Catapult and even a better release. Still the results varied a lot more and I never got the distance I get with the King. The lighter TP even turned and burned some times.

The only other Trilogy mold I've managed to get to King distances (and a bit further actually) is the Ballista. However, the pop top Kings are more OS than the Opto Ballista I have, so combined with the wider rim I'm a bit worried about the consistency with the Ballista. I will keep throwing both Ballista and King on field and see who wins in the long run.

I've been trying all kinds of (max) distance drivers lately and always keep coming back to the King.

The thing with the Kings is, like Feldie says, go for the pop tops. I have probably 7-8 Kings and all but 2 are flattish and very flippy. However, the two pop tops are really stable, glidey and long.

We threw some shots with a friend of mine who bags Bosses and my two good Kings were actually more OS than two of the slightly beat Bosses that he bags. He only throws max weight Champions, but from the older not so OS runs.

I max out with the King at around 380' and on a 350' shot they wont even turn. It's quite amazing after reading all the comments online, which on the other hand are in line with my experiences with the flatter Kings.

So give the pop top a go. :thmbup:

Yep, definitely. These are the ones that are very Boss-like, IME.

I would think pop tops are the only way to go for big glidey distance-kind of a no brainer.