• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Theft by deception?????

I have run many sanctioned events and I am well aware that you can't make everyone happy. I just believe people should be honest.

People should be honest... but is being told one thing and something else happening altogether is a rather common occurance

Sounds like mis-communication more than deliberate scam. I would bring up my concerns with the TD and see what they had planned for next year to mitigate the concerns

Volunteered, ran and have always donated TD fee back to the event.

Fascinating. When you TD, how thick is your skin?

Because when I TD, with all that entails, I don't handle it well if people complain about the amount of the payout, how it was handled, threaten lawsuits, suggest boycotts, or otherwise take issues in public, with either my decisions or my mistakes.

Which leads me to be pretty tolerant of other TDs when I'm a player.

Fascinating. When you TD, how thick is your skin?

Because when I TD, with all that entails, I don't handle it well if people complain about the amount of the payout, how it was handled, threaten lawsuits, suggest boycotts, or otherwise take issues in public, with either my decisions or my mistakes.

Which leads me to be pretty tolerant of other TDs when I'm a player.

I agree. It surprises me anyone who has worked a tournament would whine about such a petty thing.

I understand frustration but what did you tell your daughter? I'm sorry honey you can't have your winnings cause daddy is too pissed off to pay shipping. Now where's that phone book I have to pay a lawyer to bring about this class action lawsuit. Sorry but that doesn't sound like setting a good example.

I should state that the main reason I point this out is to keep those TDs and retailers honest. My daughter was ROBBED last year at a BIG event. She hasn't played since.

Keeping it honest is what it is about.

I always thank TDs for the time. I did not mention names or events or vendors in this post. I always welcome criticism of my events and I do bleed when it cuts. I was once an avid suppoter of this TD and defended him and his actions. My eyes were opened and my views changed.

I paid the shipping and said nothing to my teen about my frustration. She still has about $5 credit with that vendor. What can $5 buy?????????????? OH, and add the shipping to that.

Well since you added all the "?????????????"s how can I disagree with you?

:doh:

Outside of the Innova Factory Store most websites have decent shipping prices. I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over it... What website was it for?

If you don't like the prizes don't play in tournaments. I would not mind paying for shipping at all.

wow, can't believe all the hate for goatman. his point is legit. i've witnessed similar shady dealings with payouts through online vouchers. if it is advertised that shipping will be free, then shipping needs to be free.

Ever been to a tourny that paid ams through an online retailer? Were you told you would not have to use you winnings to pay shipping but had to any way? Who do you blame, the TD or the retailer? Both? We the players should band together and make a statement. Can you see a class action coming out of this or is it just me?

OK. ...
I have run many sanctioned events and I am well aware that you can't make everyone happy. I just believe people should be honest.

An an experienced TD, I am torn. I shudder that you are calling out a TD on a public forum. However, I also appreciate you bringing matter to everyone's attention. I have thought of using online retailers to help with my event payouts as this would allow my players to choose from a much wider variety of prizes.

It is good to know that I will need to consider shipping costs when awarding online vouchers. Perhaps the TD already bumped the value of the prizes as a way of "covering" shipping? So instead of issuing a $10.00 certificate they issued one for $15.00? This is probably what I would do. However, I would communicate to players they won $X dollars and the extra $5.00 is to cover shipping.

At any rate, $5.00 sounds like a reasonable shipping fee.

I have another question: Is paying $5.00 shipping for choosing tournament prizes online that much different from paying an extra $5.00 in processing fees for using an online registration service? Both are offering a convenience service for TD's and players alike. I know it is not really the same comparison as there is often a choice whether or not to use online registration.

Assume you can only sign up for an event using an online service and you can only redeem prizes from an online retailer: What fees would be reasonable for registration and shipping fees?

wow, can't believe all the hate for goatman. his point is legit. i've witnessed similar shady dealings with payouts through online vouchers. if it is advertised that shipping will be free, then shipping needs to be free.

A lawsuit is ****ing ridiculous.

It's obvious that he has not volunteered any time to do anything for a course or tournament....

Ummmm.... No? Where do you get that from?

I think Goatman is upset because he holds himself to the highest standards when he's TD'ing - and expects the same in return.

Which is sadly not going to be true.

Are you sure the TD didn't say that shipping was already included in the voucher amount? That would mean you don't get free shipping as in you don't pay, it means they included $$ to pay the shipping.

Ummmm.... No? Where do you get that from?

I think Goatman is upset because he holds himself to the highest standards when he's TD'ing - and expects the same in return.

Which is sadly not going to be true.

It is possible this all happened because of a misunderstanding. Sh*t happens and anyone who has worked/volunteered for a tournament knows this. But the OP wants a class action suit, or a boycott. :confused:

I admit fault. I have miss used the term "class action". Upon consult with Webster I now realize that this a strictly a legal term. I was under the impression that it could be used other wise. Boycott is the correct idea.

Latest posts