• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thinking about a back pack bag?

BrianLyons

I have used a Fade Tourney bag for the last 2 years with a set of quad shocks straps. I have to say so far its been great and still holding up well,and worked well for my needs. It has two water holders and two decent sized pouches,and a couple of slit pockets inside. I been making it work,but sometimes you just have to mix things in the same bag pouch,like cards,money,keys,flash lights,medicine etc. and a few times I would like to have brought a hat or rain jacket and just couldnt. So im just thinking about moving up to a back pack,maybe a xmas present!? But on the other hand they are expensive at around $250.00 "been looking at the grip pack" and in all honesty I really dont need it.

Right now I have 18 discs and 3 putters in my bag,and when its has a water bottle loaded up It weighs in at right around 13lbs. Jumping to a back pack,how much weight will it add just swapping my stuff to the new bag? Im Not looking to add any more discs to carry around,if anything I will go with less as time goes on. I would just like the ability to carry more stuff if needed but I know how it goes,I'll pack up every little thing and end up with a 30lb weight on my back. So I guess what im asking here,is the back pack alone pretty heavy?

Another question is how well does the pack stay upright on a hill,and if does tip do all the discs come pouring out? On my fade tourney bag it has some disc hugger insert where they kinda pop in and wont spill out if it tips on a hill "Probably my favorite feature of the bag"

Is there any way you could make that top compartment a cooler to hold a few adult beverages? looks like a nice sized area,I just wonder if I could find something to put in there and add a small freezer pack and a few cans? Or any other back pack bag have a cooler feature? Right now I bring a separate cooler bag and place them around the park,,lol I forgot 3 of them and came back the next day and they were gone,so that alone would be a savings in my favor :)

Any on sale anytime soon? If you have a grip,,like and recommend it?

The backpack itself doesn't add much more weight than any other bag would. The bulk of the weight comes from what you put into it. If you're looking to load it with water (or other beverages), that's going to be most of your weight.

The Grip is not particularly good for carrying a lot of extra stuff. I have an L-Series and it's very tippy. However, the discs don't tend to fall out when it tips, so it's just more of an annoyance than anything.

I also have a Lat 64 DG Luxury backpack. It's better for carrying stuff, especially with the large top compartment. However, it's probably a little bigger than you would like.

For everything you say you want in a backpack style the only one that comes to mind is the Ranger. There are some other backpack designs out there that are new but none that I know of that offer more storage than the grip at a cheaper price and still hold that many discs. The grip is pretty heavy too because of the frame. The ranger doesn't have the sturdiness but it does come in at a lighter overall weight and will give you a top storage area that can be used as a cooler when lined with a plastic bag or storage for a rain jacket.

The ranger offers a great warranty and is under $200 and is coming out with some cool new colors. I've had one and sold it recently but not because the bag was bad. It just didn't get used and wasn't suited to what I need. The grip bags do that better for me.

I was in the same boat. Started with a large four point bag. Just moved to this bag last week (used eBay) its night and day better for me. Right now 7 putters and 8 mids, 3 drivers with room for 4-5 more. Give it a shot. I am sure glad I did.
G$

Attachments

• IMG_20140829_130843795.jpg
    IMG_20140829_130843795.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 93
Yea,I can see myself loading it up as time goes on. Hopefully not but im sure I will get around to carrying a bunch of crap I dont need over time.

I just liked the idea of one so I could carry a few extra items if needed,right now Im pretty limited.

I was watching a youtube video of some reviews and the guy mentioned that a lot of people are switching over and getting away from the back straps and moving into the backpacks as they are less likley to give you aches and pains.

Im assuming he meant Shoulder Straps? I have a pair of quad shocks on my bag and it seems ok,,I would think the backpack would feel the same?
I thought the only difference between my bag with quad shocks and a backpack was storage?

I have a grip a, and I love it. I was all set to buy a ranger (really a great bag fir the price) but grips ended up on sale for the same price and I jumped.

People who claim they can't hold much are just wrong. I have fit a huge thick pancho, a xxl sweatshirt, two 20 oz extra water bottles, and an xxl tshirt in my side pockets. The top then has enough room for phone, wallet, slingshot, minis, dirt bag, and headphones.

Either bag is going to be a huge and great upgrade for you, and the way a backpack rides, even fully loaded, my bag fatigues me less than when I played with a double nutsac/10 discs/ and water bottle the other day.

Yeah it's not about the straps being uncomfortable to wear it's how the weight is distributed with a traditional bag and quad straps. The weight hangs much lower and is distributed weirdly. It's much more ergonomic with any quality backpack design. I never felt that I had too little storage with my L frame grip but once I got a ranger I could definitely see the appeal of it over a grip to some people. I had everything from my grip in it and hadn't even used the top storage compartment yet and it's pretty massive. The downside to that is you load that top up with heavy items you make the bag more top heavy.

Tipping on uneven ground is going to be a negative to any backpack bag right now. You just learn to place your bag better and use common sense and it's not really an issue. Do your research and don't jump into anything I'd say but if you aren't completely satisfied with your current bag I think a backpack would be a pretty big upgrade. You might even look for a good deal on a used Grip A frame. Got to be some people wanting to sell their's and get the new C14 bag instead. You find a barely worn grip bag at the price of a Ranger and I'd say that's a deal worth going for. The only downside is the warranty won't transfer. With the Ranger bag I know DD will honor any defect on the bag even if you aren't the original purchaser.

Yea,I would like one,but it looks to be a hard choice. I like the grip looks,putter on top,and the long side compartment. I also really like the large top compartment on top of the ranger,but the rest of the pockets seem to be smaller on the side,so it looks like you just have to put a bunch of the larger items in top for it to fit.
I got league tomorrow,I seen one of the guys had a grip before,,maybe I can check it out in person to really get a feel for it.

I've had the Salient Helix for almost a month now and am very impressed. I also replaced a Fade a Tourney with quads. The weight distribution is surprisingly good. It is A little wider than the Grip and has a 3rd track on the bottom...stability has not been an issue. Their "no questions asked" lifetime warranty is as strong as you can ask for. It is definately worth consideration.

Latest posts